Fingerprint GUI use in Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Fingerprint GUI use in Mint

Post by Charlie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:45 am

Am I right in my observation that the opportunity to use the fingerprint/biometric scanner as a quick n dirty way of entering your password has been extremely limited in the latest Mint?

On my older laptop I still have the ability in a majority of occasions.

I miss that on my new laptop. It has prompted me to use a shorter password as I must enter it so often, which I feel potentially impacts security. A knock on effect.

Cheers

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Fingerprint GUI use in Mint

Post by Moem » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 am

Slightly tangential, but I'm curious:
What are you doing that makes you enter your password so often? I only need to enter it when I log in, when I install software and when updating.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:09 am

Moem wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 am
Slightly tangential, but I'm curious:
What are you doing that makes you enter your password so often? I only need to enter it when I log in, when I install software and when updating.
Those things you mention maybe others, seems like I have to do it a lot, fresh install perhaps. Anything that needs a password now must be input by hand, only log on works for the fingerprint reader. It was enough for me to change my long password to a much shorter version.

I'm not sure why this ability would be taken away. I am a fan of the lazy method. I can only imagine that biometrics are not as commonly used as they were, so the decision was made to close down this feature. I know the T430 is much easier to find without a reader on-board.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:37 am

Charlie wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:09 am
seems like I have to do it a lot, fresh install perhaps.
Well yeah, that makes sense. But it's temporary.
In any case, I hear that fingerprint readers aren't very secure... false positives can happen. Maybe food for thought.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Charlie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:16 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:37 am
Charlie wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:09 am
seems like I have to do it a lot, fresh install perhaps.
Well yeah, that makes sense. But it's temporary.
In any case, I hear that fingerprint readers aren't very secure... false positives can happen. Maybe food for thought.
True, but a criminal would have to get past the multiple passwords I have set up HDD BIOS etc, the usual Thinkpad set up, plus the system is encrypted so that's another one they'd need to crack.

I'd be very happy if they had the biometric scanner handle everything once in Mint, everything that requires authorisation.

So what is worse, a potentially weak biometric scanner or a potentially short password?

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Basically, it's your machine and you get to use it the way you want to. I hope someone can help you with that! I've only ever used Fingerprint GUI in Mint 18, so it won't be me.

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi Charlie,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Let Fingerprint Reader To Control Your Ubuntu/Linux Mint - NoobsLab
https://www.noobslab.com/2017/01/let-fi ... -your.html

Quick Tip: Install Fingerprint Scanner (FPrint) in Ubuntu 16.04 Linux - Free Linux Tutorials | Free Linux Tutorials
http://freelinuxtutorials.com/quick-tip ... -04-linux/

Solved: How can I use the L570 fingerprint reader with Ubuntu linux? - Lenovo Community
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Disc ... -p/4111436

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”