Mint 18.2 64-bit does not recognize my admin password

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
diacad
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 18.2 64-bit does not recognize my admin password

Post by diacad » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:54 pm

I looked at other similarly titled threads and did not find the answer (though they were marked solved!), so I was advised to start a new thread.

Some of the threads recommend a command line starting with "su" or "sudo", but those require acceptance of the password. They do not accept mine, which I have been using for at least two years.

Others guessed I have spelled the password wrong, had cap-lock on, or some other intricate and subtle reason. I need to read some other ideas...

I understand one problem is that these threads must be very specific to the hardware and/or software. I am running a 6-core 2 Ghz Xeon with 16 Gb RAM. Kernel is at 4.15-0-38-generic. Has been enough to run my xcfe Mint 18.2 64-bit OS since installation.

Hope you can help - the only other path I can see would be a complete backup and a reinstall. If there are serious bugs in 18.2 that are corrected in 19.xx, it may be worthwhile. I have never figured our how to safely upgrade in place. I have applied updates when they are announced, except for the "4" level pertaining to the kernel - I considered these a little risky - if it ain't broke don't fix it. Right now I can't apply any updates, and that could potentially be a major security problem.

deepakdeshp
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Mint 18.2 64-bit does not recognize my admin password

Post by deepakdeshp » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:11 am

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:48 am

diacad wrote:I need to read some other ideas...
Forgotten password: how to recover from this in Linux Mint

Joe

diacad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by diacad » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Joe-

Your suggested link looked the best. I printed this out to avoid mistakes and for future reference if it worked - this is just so much magical incantation to me.. Happy to report that it did work - I was able to reset the password. I did try something like this before but could not get the grub screen to show, wrong use of the ESC key I guess. Thanks to you, I was able to run my updates. I still don't understand why Linux forgot my password that I have been using since installation. Other people seem to have this problem. Is there a bug here?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”