Upcoming "Tricia" release: What are you most looking forward to about 19.3?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Upcoming "Tricia" release: What are you most looking forward to about 19.3?

Post by Portreve » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:03 pm

Infidelus wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:00 pm
Portreve wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:27 pm
[br][/br]
gm10 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:55 pm
It's Tricia not Trisha.
So you're saying it's try-see-ah and not trish-uh?
The first part is still pronounced trish, whether you enunciate the i or not is up to you :)
Only for the debter-minded.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 beta.

Also looking for a new job.

mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintjulip » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:37 pm

Very much looking forward to kissing 'Tina' 19.2 goodbye on a permanent basis

Ever since I installed it with and without all the updates, it has caused nothing but problems on my AMD based Computer, from Randomly Freezing right in the middle of trying to post on a blog, where of course I lost everything and had to start over again, all the way to Black Screening and Mouse Freeze

It wasn't so much a question of 'IF' but more a question of 'When' it was going to happen, including completely dropping out when watching YouTube Videos, which then meant Hard Shutdown and Restart over and over again, that was if I wasn't doing a Fresh re-install every day and often more than once

It was enough to make me want to go back to Windows 7 which was as solid as a rock on my separate SSD Hard Drive the only problem being that 'Tina' had somehow managed to corrupt the Boot records, so I couldn't Boot Windows 7 and it still won't Boot it now

Which means that I cannot get in to update all the Websites I have on there

So in total desperation, I have had to revert to Linux Mint 18 which seems to be working ok at the moment, although it does feel a bit dated and so I'm hoping 'Tricia' will restore my faith in Linux once again

smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smgordon1259 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:48 pm

My system specs are below and never had an issue with Linux mint based on hardware. With that said I am currently running 19.3 with 5.3.0-24 kernel and the 435.21 nvidia driver since early this morning no issues thus far.

sounds like your Windows boot record and Grub worked against each other. Linux does nothing to the windows boot sector. It creates it's own boot sector ( grub) depending upon how both OS's were installed and in what order. I turned off OS PROBE in Linux and now use my BIOS to boot to whatever drive I want without any issues of boot sectors, BTW both OS's are on separate drive to avoid such issues.

19.3? Not seeing too much difference yet. It does boot within 45 seconds though
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 /AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz) / Vulcan DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb
EVGA GTX 660 2Gb / Nvidia 435.21 / Element 32" 1080p
Linux Mint 19.3b MATE amd64 / Kernel 5.3.0-24 generic x86_64
Primary: PNY 120Gb SSD Secondary: Seagate 1Tb SSHD

mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintjulip » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi That's very interesting!

How do I Switch Off OS Probe and how did you get 19.3

has it been released yet

I'm not a Techie so please could you explain in simple Terms as I'm still a Noob!

Many Thanks if you can help, I might even get Windows 7 to boot up

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:04 pm

mintjulip wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:37 pm

It was enough to make me want to go back to Windows 7 which was as solid as a rock on my separate SSD Hard Drive the only problem being that 'Tina' had somehow managed to corrupt the Boot records, so I couldn't Boot Windows 7 and it still won't Boot it now

Which means that I cannot get in to update all the Websites I have on there
Are you using Firefox?
If so, are you using Firefox Sync?

I do, and every PC that I have, be it Linux, or Windoze 7, Win10,
it does not matter, the Bookmarks are always sync'd up every time you add a new bookmark.

You need to investigate Bookmark Sync, it saves my bacon every day.

mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintjulip » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi and No, I've never used Firefox Sync although I do use Firefox and would not want to use any other Browser

At the moment I'm running Mint 18 without any updates and so far its all good and ticking over like a little Swiss Watch and feels absolutely flawless without any sign of Crashing (famous last words!)

It just looks a bit dated but other than that, no problems at all at the moment, so I am going to keep it on a separate hard drive just in case 'Tricia' starts to fall apart

Thanks for your Help

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:58 pm

mintjulip wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:29 pm
Hi and No, I've never used Firefox Sync although I do use Firefox and would not want to use any other Browser

At the moment I'm running Mint 18 without any updates and so far its all good and ticking over like a little Swiss Watch and feels absolutely flawless without any sign of Crashing (famous last words!)

It just looks a bit dated but other than that, no problems at all at the moment, so I am going to keep it on a separate hard drive just in case 'Tricia' starts to fall apart

Thanks for your Help
You need to sign up for Firefox Sync, once you do, you will never, ever, again loose a bookmark,
or any of the other items you may wish to include.

You can use that fresh 18.3 Cinnamon you just installed that you called "outdated" which is why I love it, it never changes.... I hate change.... do the updates on the new install, it is a very good OS to use.
My idea of the "perfect background" is SOLID BLACK. and that is what every PC that I use has on it.
I detest changing backgrounds that obscure my icons.

but, my point is, on that fresh FF install, log into FF Sync and just sit back a while, and watch the Bookmarks start filling up. I have well over 10,000 bookmarks, and it takes about 15 minutes for FF to create an identical Bookmark list that I am already using on other computers. ( this assumes of course, that your other PC Firefox browser has Sync engabled )

mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintjulip » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:02 am

Hi Ok Thanks I'll give that a try but ironically Mint 18 just Froze while I was looking for 'Tricia' as I thought the 19.3 Tricia Beta was supposed to be released Today Tuesday 3rd December?

Its 10AM so maybe I'm too early?

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:21 am

mintjulip wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:02 am
Hi Ok Thanks I'll give that a try but ironically Mint 18 just Froze while I was looking for 'Tricia' as I thought the 19.3 Tricia Beta was supposed to be released Today Tuesday 3rd December?

Its 10AM so maybe I'm too early?
Seems it hasn't hit many mirrors yet, I'm not sure it will officially be released today at all at that rate.

Here's one if you cannot wait:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintjulip » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:45 am

Hi GM10

Epic!

You are the man!

Just downloaded 'Tricia' 19.3 from that Mirror in Ireland you gave me and it Burned the ISO and the Install was Flawless

With the expected 'Black Screen' Heart Stopping Moments you come to expect when Installing Linux

First Impressions absolutely lovely with a Jet Black Screen and White Logo, as I'm not into fancy backgrounds but as for the out of the box GUI it just looks so professional and nicely understated

As I am only a Newbie, I'll let others get into the Technical Stuff but I have tried to Freeze and Crash it on my AMD without success! (I'm pleased to say!)

Although I may have said a similar thing about 'Tina'

So let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic

I did get a Warning about an update for my Nvidea Graphics Card that there were other recommended drivers available but I decided to leave things as they were to see if I could break it but at the moment I can't and also haven't installed any of the available updates

In a 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' kind of way

I really hate knocking Linux which was a breath of fresh air to use after coming from Windows but Linux Tina 19.2 just didn't work for me, with its constant Freezing and Crashing on my AMD PC

Where I had to go through the same routine everyday

Boot up, Check out the News on Yahoo and then Mouse Freeze

Hard Shutdown and then re-Start, where it might work ok for half an hour, then it would Freeze and wouldn't re-Boot which meant a Clean Install and this would happen every single day and often more than once

Which was mega annoying if you had spent hours updating a Blog, where all you could do was a Hard re-Start, where you would lose everything and I even gave up putting any Photos into Folders and just kept them on a memory stick as of course a clean install would delete them all

So for me 'Tina' wasn't just 'Simply The Best' but much more just 'Simply The Worst' and I had to go right back to Linux 18 to find something stable that worked

P.S. Where can I find that CPU usage meter that is shown on the Linux 19.3 Video, the one with the Two Round Circles?

Thanks ever so much for your Help

smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smgordon1259 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:15 am

Looking for this ? it is called Stacer

https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/instal ... eaner.html
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 /AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz) / Vulcan DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb
EVGA GTX 660 2Gb / Nvidia 435.21 / Element 32" 1080p
Linux Mint 19.3b MATE amd64 / Kernel 5.3.0-24 generic x86_64
Primary: PNY 120Gb SSD Secondary: Seagate 1Tb SSHD

mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintjulip » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:59 pm

Hi OK and Thank You Very Much

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:07 pm

smgordon1259 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:15 am
Looking for this ? it is called Stacer

https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/instal ... eaner.html
OMGarsh!

Thanks a lot for that info...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”