Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
blueocean
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Unanswered Questions

Post by blueocean »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:53 pm
Thanks to both of you, majpooper and blueocean for your kind comments...blueocean, dont sell yourself short here where you said,
I'll never reach anywhere that near level. I just wonder how they do it.
Dont "wonder" how it is done.
I explained that in my post...you simply get their by,
being of help to others is also helping myself to come to a deeper knowledge of Linux systems and expanding my own knowledge base when i find something interesting to comment on, yet need to dig a little to help find possible answers.
This Is how it is done.
Also develope that "thick skin" i mentioned...DAMIEN
First I need to learn how to write sentences: anywhere near that level. Darned dyslexia :?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I dealt with what i call a young "padawan" that was under my "care" when i was teaching him how to use his new tandy computer from radio shack and teaching how to write commands etc....

He was also dyslexic...
It showed in his code writing because it wouldnt work for him...

I noticed the problem by noticing that his encylopaedia set was not in a numerical order...

I pointed this out to him because i thought others in his family did this mistakenly...

He told me, he was the only one that used it...

He was 17 at the time and just said in real shock and horror. " why did no one ever tell me this before ?"...

I then answered, if no one else ever used his library, how would they ever know?...

His number system was like number 21 was in the space of number 12 and visa versa etc...
i think you know how this goes...

So i got to work with him...

I then was able to teach him how to concentrate to transpose letters and numbers so not to be confused by them...

It was well worth my time invested in him as well as worth his time because he really wanted to overcome this in his life...

He did go on to be a good success in his life...this goes back to 1984 by the way...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...lol...I now have a "new" padawan ive been teaching linux to here now in my old age...

He is doing quite well and is excelling in his knowledge and showing off i would think, in the Peppermint forums...

Since i have a permanent lifetime ban on that forum, i cant check on his well being there, but i think i prepared him well...lol.

Notice that i structured the reading of this post to make it dyslexic friendly...this was done on purpose to show how i was able to help him.

regards and good wishes to you blueocean...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

blueocean
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blueocean »

Lifetime ban. Could't you create a new account? I'm left handed and many of my friends are too. Dyslexia and lefties are pretty common. I just try to read my posts a couple times before cementing them. In a way Dyslexia is a blessing, I see solutions in life that others don't. Being a misfit, and having a choice, I would't want it any other way.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

No...IP address derivations, etc will always expose you and give you away if you try to do this...and i refuse to dishonour myself or others by trying to do this through any sort of deception...I will NEVER try to be deceptive, but only up front and honest...however, I would love to tell you as well as anyone else who would care to know how this can happen...things like this could not happen with the Linux Mint Forum because the Forums are not owned and controlled by the sole developer or co-developers of the actual operating systems of Linux Mint...they are totally separate entities from each other...not so with Peppermint OS...they are both, one in the same, ultimately controlled by the "owner" of Peppermint as well as his tightly controlled "minions" of yes men "trusted users" and moderators...if ever interested as to how this can happen, you will need to do an open chat kind of thread and point it to me and ask...at no time will i ever be demeaning to them, since they also have a fantastic distro, but only to highlight the superiority of how the LM forum works versus an owner/operator forums operation works...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

blueocean
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blueocean »

DAMMIEN: I thought maybe IP address. Oh well, your're a valuable asset here so it evens out.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Thank you for thinking me a valuable asset...im just a person wanting to give back for what ive learned and want to be of help is all...im far from being anything special here.

If you want to really know the rest of the story...just open a new thread in open chat or chat about linux...i will give you as well as everyone the rest of the story of my being banned for life and how what happened to me could not happen here because of the different structures involved that happened to me with P forums over 2 years ago (My young "padawan" is there now and i have no way to monitor him or his interactions with possible "hostiles" there that know i trained him in the "Jedi" ways...lol...I dont want him to be tempted by " The Dark Side"...lol...lol...and i have no eyes or ears over there...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

blueocean
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blueocean »

How should I title it?

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

ATTENTION, DAMIEN

dont forget to ask the question
ORDO AB CHAO

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens »

murray wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:35 pm
I'm often at work when I'm reading this forum and feel that I don't want to answer a question without first testing my ideas on a LM system (we use Windows at work).
Only concern I have here is that you are at work! You owe your employer a good days work for the faith he has in you. Your "hobbies" (browsing forums and the like) belong at home, in your own time.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Very, Very, True, Anyone under my employ, before i retired, if even caught with their cell phone in use while on the company clock and under company paid time, got suspended immediately and it was called theft of company time...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve »

blueocean wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:14 pm
Overall, I've been treated with outstanding politeness and kindness here.
If you feel shortchanged, I'm certain we could arrange for some abuse and denigration. :lol:

The depth of knowledge of some members is truly impressive. I'll never reach anywhere that near level. I just wonder how they do it.
I know that feeling well.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Know when what you're doing is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and STOP.

Still looking for a new job.

blueocean
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blueocean »

If you feel shortchanged, I'm certain we could arrange for some abuse and denigration. :lol:
If it wasn't a positive experience, I would't be here :)

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

lsemmens wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:14 am
murray wrote:
I'm often at work when I'm reading this forum and feel that I don't want to answer a question without first testing my ideas on a LM system (we use Windows at work).
Only concern I have here is that you are at work! You owe your employer a good days work for the faith he has in you. Your "hobbies" (browsing forums and the like) belong at home, in your own time.
No, my boss is quite happy with me browsing the web at work (he does it himself). My job is very reactive, where for a lot of the time there's no work to do unless client's request it. When a request comes in then I'm on it straight away (I've got a reputation for being very fast, my boss often tells me to slow down!), for the rest of the time I'm catching up with news, improving myself with self-education, etc.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

blueocean
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blueocean »

murray wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:08 pm
lsemmens wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:14 am
murray wrote:
No, my boss is quite happy with me browsing the web at work (he does it himself). My job is very reactive, where for a lot of the time there's no work to do unless client's request it. When a request comes in then I'm on it straight away (I've got a reputation for being very fast, my boss often tells me to slow down!), for the rest of the time I'm catching up with news, improving myself with self-education, etc.
Good for you!

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

blueocean wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:43 pm
murray wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:08 pm
Good for you!
Yeah I'm quite lucky that my job allows this.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens »

Sounds like a perfect job. As long as your employer is ok with it, then that is fine.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”