LM 20.0 an utter disaster on less than latest hardware.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Re: LM 20.0 an utter disaster on less than latest hardware.

Post by Portreve »

Oldbill wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:59 am
All bullshit. Linus Torvalds needs get a grip.
With respect, you do.

In the strictest sense, a goodly number if developers, and this would include Linus, work on Linux (the kernel) and/or other bits as an outgrown of taking care of their own needs. They also do what they do to help the community, who's existence of course they are well aware.

Whether it's Nvidia or even CPU manufacturers such as Intel, sometimes a vendor just doesn't want to play very nicely. Is that Linus' fault? He's often railed against this very thing, as he has expressed publicly vis a vis supporting graphics cards or being able to more quickly and comprehensively produce patches to deal with CPU exploits.

At the end of the day, you're choosing to use GNU+Linux.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Portreve wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:41 pm
Oldbill wrote:
All bullshit. Linus Torvalds needs get a grip.
Whether it's Nvidia or even CPU manufacturers such as Intel, sometimes a vendor just doesn't want to play very nicely. Is that Linus' fault? He's often railed against this very thing, as he has expressed publicly vis a vis supporting graphics cards
Hardware manufacturers support hardware where the money is and the Linux home user base isn't where the money is.
Same old rant from Windows users thinking it's Microsoft's job to support the hardware instead of the hardware manufacturer.
Portreve wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:41 pm
At the end of the day, you're choosing to use GNU+Linux.
Exactly.

Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I tried the online updates on 2 of my machines. both failed miserably. Downloading and a fresh install is a piece of cake. One was a circa 2007 Toshiba and one a 2008 acer, and this one an old HP.

Code: Select all

hubert@hubert-HP-Pavilion-dv5-Notebook-PC:~$ inxi -Fxzd
System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-40-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.6 
           Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC v: F.11 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Quanta model: 3602 v: 02.20 serial: <filter> BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: F.11 date: 10/29/2008 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 0% condition: 25.2/95.0 Wh (27%) model: Hewlett-Packard Primary status: Charging 
           Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech Wireless Mouse M325 charge: 55% (should be ignored) 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo T6400 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Penryn rev: A L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 bogomips: 7980 
           Speed: 1286 MHz min/max: 1200/2000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1197 2: 1197 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1280x800~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express (CTG) v: 2.1 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-40-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: wl v: kernel 
           port: 9000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
           IF: wlp2s0 state: dormant mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 6000 
           bus ID: 03:00.0 
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 698.64 GiB used: 10.38 GiB (1.5%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HTS547575A9E384 size: 698.64 GiB 
           Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: TSSTcorp model: CDDVDW TS-L633L rev: 0400 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw 
           Features: speed: 24 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 686.18 GiB used: 10.38 GiB (1.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 182 Uptime: 8m Memory: 3.78 GiB used: 1.13 GiB (29.8%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: 
           gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.16 inxi: 3.0.38 
hubert@hubert-HP-Pavilion-dv5-Notebook-PC:~$ 
It only took about 45 minutes to wipe and install as new

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Oldbill wrote:
... No one has a sensible answer, the errors can be turned off, not a good idea. The gurus here and elsewhere come up with "Your PC is too old" "Too new" update your bios, update your firmware blah blah blah. All bullshit. Linus Torvalds needs get a grip.
You have never once properly asked a support question on this forum and you seriously have zero idea what you are talking about. Seriously, this goes in the top 100 all time clueless rants.

TheWombat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheWombat »

I don't want to dogpile this too much, but it irked me so much that I created an account to mic drop this.

[Been using Mint since at least Lisa, so the fact I just now created an account tells you the number of problems I've run into.]

This post has been posted by me on this here laptop. It's a HP G60. Very cutting-edge. Granted it runs the Xfce variant instead of Cinnamon, but I use it effortlessly. It's relegated to mostly just webbrowsing, but I do it with FF and can easily have 30 tabs open, with a nice array of addons.

Surely for me to have this next generation of technology at my fingertips I must be very wealthy. Except I was on the verge of homelessness just a few years ago.

OP's rant is nonsense.

antikythera
Level 4
Level 4

Post by antikythera »

Welcome, I commend your excellent mic dropping
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

TheWombat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheWombat »

antikythera wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:22 pm
Welcome, I commend your excellent mic dropping
Thank you kindly.

khaki45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by khaki45 »

I don't know it is an utter disaster, based on my experience. I wanted to test the latest mint before they released upgrade path, so I tested it on a 10 year old Toshiba laptop that I still have, and it seemed to run just as well as the previous version. But that is just my experience.

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Oldbill wrote:
If I were just switching from Apple or Microsoft now I wouldn't bother, the Kernel developers have taken their eye of they ball. The Wokey snowflakes seem more concerned with renaming areas of the OS, no more terms like Slave, Blacklist.
Well, as they say, real change must start at home, so I take at least some comfort in knowing efforts are being made to pull our collective heads out of the dark ages. It's the 21st century, after all, not the 1800s or even mid-1900s. Oh, and I'm also old enough to remember when California was crafting legislation to ban the use of the terms Master and Slave from computer systems sold there back in the... geez, I want to say late 1990s or early 2000s. So, if anything, the Linux kernel developers are rather a bit late to the party. :lol:

I am really pissed of with Linux, just as its becoming an OS that anyone can use it gets screwed up. I have been trying to get friends and family to move across, that wont happen again any time soon.
I know of no desktop OS of which the same cannot be said. Mac OS, Amiga OS (Workbench), MS-DOS, Apple II DOS 3.3 and ProDOS, Windows 1.0 → 10, Mac OS X, etc. All of those OSs can be (and have been) wrecked by users.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

antikythera
Level 4
Level 4

Post by antikythera »

Microsoft have done a pretty decent job of wrecking W10 2004 before users get involved :lol:

The update was offered on my gaming machine, it is not any more, it now says coming soon. I am not in any rush to apply it anyway given the number of issues it currently has.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Endogos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Endogos »

How-old! wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:34 am
Long-time Mint user, but 20.0 can be an utter disaster on less than latest hardware. Read the warnings about nV cards, etc. This one refuses to install on some SoC nV-based systems, SiS Mirage and other oddball video systems. It doesn't like some older 1024x!!! monitors, even some older SATA I hard drives, that work for every other distro. Yes, read all the tips&tricks, other Forums, plus 40yrs playing with the technology. Believe me, this one is a lemon. No point in describing ALL the issues encountered - there has to be a limit. Guess it's OK for rich kiddies with last weeks' technology on their desks, but in the real world, can encounter some folks still using 286 machines (with e.g. Puppy) - not Mint, but that's the reality. Mint 17 was brilliant - fast, runs on everything. Even Mint 19.3 ran on most kit if a bit top-heavy. With 20.0 get auto reboots, white screens (even with compat. mode), no screens, no GRUB menu access and a plethora of other issues. No point suggesting CLI fixes if it refuses to give a CLI ! Extremely disappointing. Does it have to be MX-19 from now on?! Just about every other distro can be persuaded to run on mostly all other reasonably decent kit. Maybe too much focus on unnecessary WARPSPEED gimmicks & co.? Some folks just like to get the work done...
To be fair, It sounds more like a Linux issue than a mint issue.
The reliability issues hit the entire Linux ecosystem, Microsoft is always going to be ahead of us in terms of stability and things working out of the box.
I agree that Mint is a bit bloated, but having a lightweight, easy-to-use, nice looking OS that works out of the box with most hardware is a hard feat to accomplish.
Mint was never supposed to be "light", If that's what you want you should use another distro.

If ALL you want is get things done and working, then I honestly suggest you to use Windows.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”