Why does upgrade to Mint 20 require PPA removal?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
buzzra
Level 1
Level 1

Why does upgrade to Mint 20 require PPA removal?

Post by buzzra »

Registered for the forums just to ask this...
Purge PPAs and 3rd party repositories

PPAs or 3rd party repositories can introduce issues during the upgrade if the versions of the packages they provide are higher than in Linux Mint 20. This can result in unmet dependencies, held packages or resolver issues.

To purge 3rd party packages follow these steps:

Launch the Software Sources tool from Menu ‣ Administration ‣ Software Sources.
Open the Additional repositories tab and disable all additional repositories.
Open the PPA tab and disable all PPAs.
Click on the button to refresh your APT cache.
Open the Maintenance tab and click on Downgrade Foreign Packages.
Select all foreign packages and click Downgrade.
Click on Remove Foreign Packages.
Select all foreign packages and click Remove.
Reboot the computer.
Create another Timeshift snapshot.
So, to upgrade to latest version, I have to downgrade/remove all the software I actually use?!?! I would not have these 3rd party PPA's and Repo's if I didn't need them!! I must not have understood something correctly.
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split from release announcement
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Why does upgrade to Mint 20 require PPA removal?

Post by gittiest personITW »

Once you've done the upgrade you can put them back again. Its just the upgrade seems to be finicky.
Remember to backup your important stuff to an external drive before upgrading.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's due to the lack of backwards compatibility in Linux. The software installed by ppa that worked for the old release isn't going to work on the new one. As mentioned just reinstall them.
buzzra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by buzzra »

So I downgrade and remove just the PPA/repos? Not the software itself? If the PPA doesn't work with the new version, then how can I add it back and what will happen to my software installs?!? And if it does work, then why do I have to remove them in the first place???
If it's a problem with Linux and backward compatibility, then why is Mint the only one It happens to? I have used MANY Linux distros for many years. I've never had to do, or even heard of, this before Mint 20. Even previous versions of Mint didn't require this.
I'll stick with my current Mint until I migrate to a more stable distro. Too bad. won't be recommending Mint any more. Really don't understand all the praise for a job well done. Seems like a job half done.

buzz
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

PPA's are often version specific. Using a PPA where the most recent package is for bionic, isn't going to work on focal. And focal is what Mint 20 is based on. If the PPA has packages for both, there won't be any issues re-adding it. If you need the software and the PPA doesn't have a focal version, contact the PPA packagers. When they get enough people asking for it, they may include it. Otherwise they've probably abandoned the project.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

buzzra wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:59 pm
If the PPA doesn't work with the new version, then how can I add it back
Most of us would go to a search engine and search for something along the lines of <package.name> ubuntu focal or <package.name> ubuntu "20.04" to determine if there is a replacement. Failing that, we take a trip to alternativeto.net and search some more.
buzzra wrote:Seems like a job half done.
My opinion is that it's worse. The upgrade has created no end of issues. No doubt the devs put in a lot of effort, but anyone with two brain cells to rub together (ie the minimum number of brain cells required to pump out a yes/no response) would look at the upgrade instructions and walk away. What is telling though is that most of the experienced regulars here would not recommend an upgrade from one major release to the next, and would instead recommend a clean install after a verified backup or timeshift snapshot.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Hey Kadaitcha Man and buzzra:
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:11 pm
buzzra wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:59 pm
If the PPA doesn't work with the new version, then how can I add it back
Most of us would go to a search engine and search for something along the lines of <package.name> ubuntu focal or <package.name> ubuntu "20.04" to determine if there is a replacement. Failing that, we take a trip to alternativeto.net and search some more.
buzzra wrote:Seems like a job half done.
My opinion is that it's worse. The upgrade has created no end of issues. No doubt the devs put in a lot of effort, but anyone with two brain cells to rub together (ie the minimum number of brain cells required to pump out a yes/no response) would look at the upgrade instructions and walk away. What is telling though is that most of the experienced regulars here would not recommend an upgrade from one major release to the next, and would instead recommend a clean install after a verified backup or timeshift snapshot.
I would second (and third, fourth, fifth...) what Kadaitcha Man said: my own multi-decadal tech industry experience informs me that a clean install of a new version of any OS is always a best-practices approach. As much as people say they don't like going through the hassle of doing a fresh install and re-establishing all their software and related settings, I simply do not want to waste my time troubleshooting problems which shouldn't have been summoned into existence in the first place. And believe me, after 34 years of doing this, I don't need any additional practice with Troubleshooting-101, y'know?
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

Another in the same camp, do a fresh install. Tried the upgrade on a test laptop. It does work, but with around half a dozen additional repos and approaching 20 ppas, I've come to the conclusion that the time I'd spend trouble shooting the upgrade would probably be similar to the time for a clean install (and less hassle).
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

AndyMH wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:57 pm
Another in the same camp, do a fresh install. Tried the upgrade on a test laptop. It does work, but with around half a dozen additional repos and approaching 20 ppas, I've come to the conclusion that the time I'd spend trouble shooting the upgrade would probably be similar to the time for a clean install (and less hassle).
Indeed - I've done both - upgraded my Chromebook from 19.3 to 20, fresh installed and set up from scratch on my main machine. The former has taken approx 3 hours to date (haven't got around to re-enabling PPAs and third party repos yet). The latter took me about 45 mins in total (with a little help from Aptik). Both went 'smoothly' - had a to fight the system to properly remove gm10's PPA and restore to stock prior to upgrade on the Chromebook but then again I'm reasonably comfortable troubleshooting apt so it wasn't difficult, just time consuming. The upgrade itself was about 45 mins in total, the same time it took me to fresh install and complete setup on my main machine ... :roll:

The reason for removing PPAs and third party repos prior to upgrade is to minimize the potential for dependency conflicts during the upgrade process along with the stress of trying to fix them part-way through the upgrade.

E.g. as a simple example If you have the bionic version of package A from a PPA that depends on a specific bionic version of package B from the main repos, then the presence of package A could prevent package B being upgraded from the bionic to focal repos and will break the upgrade process.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

had a to fight the system to properly remove gm10's PPA
Glad I'm not the only one, was a pain, something that won't get re-installed!
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

AndyMH wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:46 am
Gm10, a very knowledgeable developer isn't active now, Does anybody know why?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

AndyMH wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:46 am
Gm10, a very knowledgeable developer isn't active now, Does anybody know why?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

No idea, gone off to pastures new? Shame, cos I was using his mint-tools which now seems to be abandonware. Haven't seen anything from pbear lately either - another informed member.

PS - you've double posted.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

smurphos wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:57 am
The reason for removing PPAs and third party repos prior to upgrade is to minimize the potential for dependency conflicts during the upgrade process along with the stress of trying to fix them part-way through the upgrade.

E.g. as a simple example If you have the bionic version of package A from a PPA that depends on a specific bionic version of package B from the main repos, then the presence of package A could prevent package B being upgraded from the bionic to focal repos and will break the upgrade process.
Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.

I'm sticking with 19.3 until I have a holiday where I can spend some time documenting what I've got on my machine and then doing a clean install. "Sorry darling, no vacation this year, I have to spend the time installing the new Linux Mint on my PC!" Yeah I don't think that'll go down well with the other half :D
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”