Does anyone else get never ending problems with Linux!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Does anyone else get never ending problems with Linux!

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:09 pm But your panasonic's are 2500mAH, mine are 2800mAH and half the price :D
No argument there but yours weren't around when I first started using the Eneloops (they still may not have been around when I last bought some) and mine have withstood the test of time. Also, in the grand scheme of things, you aren't like to be able to notice any difference between 2500mAH and 2800mAH during actual use.

I'm not saying your batteries are no good; I'm just saying I've had excellent luck with the Eneloops over quite a long period of time.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

The Alkaline batteries last so long, that I don't even bother with purchasing Rechargables....
I found that the Chargers get lost, long before the batteries go dead :roll:

Over here, and probably all over the Globe, Harbor Freight sells Alkalines so cheap, it is not a concern.

I have a one Gallon ice cream bucket that I keep stocked with every known type of Alkaline battery....
when a battery goes dead, it is usually at 11:58 PM and on a weekend or holiday and all the stores are closed :twisted:

Reference the comment on the size of the M510 LogiTech mouse being "so large", my hands are XXXL anyway, they don't make gloves big enough for me. I have to buy Deer Skin gloves, soak them in water until pliable, and then wear them until they are dry :shock:

And the pads on the bottom? yeah, that is a PITA for me also.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I use rechargables as much as possible, because of the pollution that comes with mining the materials for batteries. I try to mimimise my need for such materials. Also the manufacturing process is rather dirty, too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

Yes, I have issues with linux.
Some things are caused by me not knowing what to do, following an old article, or me causing an issue.

But I have also had never ending problems with Windows as well.
Eg: My Firefox freezes on youtube after a CLEAN INSTALL of Win8.1 & latest drivers and Firefox with 0 plugins.
I can stress the GPU, CPU, RAM and other hardware for hours, no faults.
Yet under linux, No issues at all.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I currently have 11 Linuxes running in VirtualBox. Some work great, some so-so, some are disappointing. Then there are distros that don't run at all.
All these different distros and desktops have exactly the same requirements in VirtualBox and still there are huge differences.

It may well be that you have high-quality hardware at your disposal, but still some Linux distributions just can't cope with it. If it's an Ubuntu based Mint that doesn't run well, it's worth trying the Debian based Mint LMDE.
If it still doesn't work, maybe try something from a different base like openSUSE or Fedora.

In my case, the sure crash candidates are regularly things from openSUSE and Neon. Either I or my hardware are simply not compatible.
John_316
Level 1
Level 1

Post by John_316 »

151tom wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:37 am Are you using a wireless mouse.
Are you using a wireless keyboard.
My wireless Logitech mouse is fine but it's my wired Logitech trackball mouse that won't work with Linux.
Last edited by Moem on Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote. Make sure to always use both an opening tag [quote] and a closing tag [/quote], enclosing the quote.
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Keith2021 »

I have tried 10 different ones on my system and they have worked great on the USB stick but as soon as I put them on the hard drive that have gave me all kinds of problems if I have dual boot setup. If I install it without windows I don't have any problems. I get all kinds of problems with Linux. Mouse problems, keyboard problems, I don't have any installed on this computer, I put them on another one. I will figure it out.
Linux mint 20.2-Mate, Linux Mint 21-Cinnamon, Zorin 16 Pro
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Keith2021 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:48 pm If I install it without windows I don't have any problems.
You likely need to disable Fast Startup in Windows; Windows 8+ by default hibernates and may leave various hardware in limbo unless actually shut down.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

In the old days of Linux (more than 10-15 years ago) I had rampant issues of the type you refer to.

With complete honestly, in recent times I typically have fewer issues with Linux than I do with Windows.

The Linux install just works, no need to hunt down all the drivers because they are included in the Kernel. Mint is usually installed and at a fully functioning desktop on the first try with a single reboot. Installing Windows is an exercise in frustration often taking hours, several reboots, and hunting and pecking through obscure chip vendors driver repositories to find the right ones.

Occasionally issues do slip through. Usually this has to do with low volume and/or proprietary solutions on consumer laptops (keyboard shortcut / media buttons, and wifi modules are notorious for this). It also often happens with new on board audio chips before the kernel catches up and supports them.

Part of the problem with Linux is that many hardware vendors consider the Linux install base too small to actively support, so they don't write drivers for their hardware, leaving it up to the community to reverse engineer or otherwise develop open source drivers. Hardware would appear on the market with drivers for Windows but just would not work in Linux at all, with quite a lag time as the community caught up and developed drivers.

This used to be a much larger problem than it is today, largely for two reasons. The Ubuntu project starting in ~2005 or so has had a huge and positive impact in the is regard, backporting and adding drivers to kernels and generally adding to the "just works" aspect of Linux. I mean, it's been over a decade since I last needed to download a kernel source and go through the make configure checklist deciding which modules to include and which to exclude and then compile a custom kernel. This used to be a fairly common exercise for Linux users.

Additionally Linux adoption has surged over the last 20 years to the point where we are moire difficult to ignore these days. Chipmakers like Intel and AMD actively work with the kernel devs to make sure their products work at launch. (Nvidia still doesn't, but at least they have their binary blob drivers)

The situation is still not perfect. Some rare hardware and some brand new unseen stuff still won't work, or won't work right. Last time I had this issue was only two years ago when a new Realtek audio chip on a new motherboard I bought was not cooperative. I wasn't planning on using it (I have both a sound card, and an external USB DAC) but the sound chip was not able to be disabled in the BIOS, and every time on boot the system would try to load the kernel module for it, and would cause ALSA to crash so that no sound would work. It was rather frustrating and required me to go in, determine which module was causing the problem and address it. In my case while the Realtek sound was on board, it was a USB audio implementation, and if I blacklisted the USB audio module I'd lose my external USB DAC, so I had to figure out which USB device it was and blacklist that instead)

Occasionally stuff like this happens. Often it is solvable using workarounds like I did above, sometimes not. When those workarounds are possible they are sometimes daunting to beginners, but luckily we have a rather helpful community here that can help beginners with these things.

The old mantra used to be that with Linux/Unix you have to choose the correct hardware for your OS, or you'll run into problems. In general self built desktops are more likely to use components that will work, than either prebuilt consumer desktops or laptops. If you prefer using prebuilt desktops or laptops, in general enterprise models are more likely to be problem free than consumer models (but they often tend to cost more.

This usually isn't strictly necessary anymore, but you can improve your chances of everything out of the box by selecting the right hardware.

For me I'd say in greater than 95/100 times distributions like Ubuntu/Mint "just work". Insert the USB stick, install, reboot, everything is working instantly. Much simpler than Windopws. In those 5% of cases where it doesn't "just work" it can be more annoying than Windows to solve, depending on your level of familiarity with the command line and the Linux systems underpinnings.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

John_316 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:15 pm
151tom wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:37 am I had issues with the Nvidia drivers and the list went on and on including crashing and wouldn't reboot
Are you using a wireless mouse.
Are you using a wireless keyboard.

My wireless Logitech mouse is fine but it's my wired Logitech trackball mouse that won't work with Linux.
I've never had any issues with wired usb devices or wired usb ports using any Linux distro.

I'd look at the usb settings as I wouldn't think that a usb trackball mouse would function any different than a regular mouse.

I think it would be detected as another usb mouse although I may be wrong about that.

I used to have a no name brand trackball and it was plug n play as any usb mouse.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
shockedquartz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by shockedquartz »

You should of tried it 20 years ago :wink:
It's amazing how far Linux has come for PC. Mint finally made me leave MS for good.
That said. Yeah, I run into some road blocks some times. Sometimes it's just easier and less time to find a work around or live without it.
I'll take the occasional headache for more privacy and control.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I'll take the occasional headache for more privacy and control.
Yes! Well spoken
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Another two cents.
Well obviously some people have some problems, as there are probably 20 or so new support questions every day on this forum alone. That said, 20 out of some 100,000+ users is a pretty small percentage, eh ?

For me personally, in the beginning I had a fan issue on a 2008 Acer, that was a little effort to fix. Since then it's been more than a decade of smooth sailing.

I have never experienced a crash, here's the report for mint 19, (used 2-3 years)
ksnip211015-2029.png
I have never had to reinstall.
I have never had a freeze that was not resolvable, and those were very few. Most recently, after 40 some days of uptime, Ksnip became unstable, and froze the mouse. Ctrl + Alt + T would not bring up a terminal, but Ctrl + Alt + F2 did get to a tty terminal, where I killed the offending process, then returned to the graphical environment (Ctrl + Alt + F7) and rebooted. Everything fine, and Ksnip back to normal.

Also in that time, I had 2 different printers, an HP all-in-one, and now a canon pixma all-in-one, 2 different wireless keyboard/mouse combo, external monitors, all work without issue. And just FWIW, those printers would not work on windows without an install disk of hundreds of MB's
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

Never ending problems with Ubuntu 21 & Windows 11. Both dumpster fires IMO.

I don't have problems with Linux Mint, ever.

Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

I had quite a few problems with wifi drivers on an older HP laptop. After several days of troubleshooting my wifi issues I ended up buying an inexpensive USB adapter that had good Linux support. On my desktop older (i5) NUC everything just worked out of the box.

When I got ready to buy my current daily driver I did my research and only considered hardware manufacturers that dropped drivers into the upstream kernels. The research paid off and my daily driver, an 11th gen i7 from Dell just worked out of the box, secure boot and all. It took longer for Windows to finish installing so I could disable bit locker than It did for me to install Mint. I did a clean install of Linux Mint and have not looked back. I still have a copy of Windows, but now it runs inside a VM on my Mint machine.:D

If you browse the forums of any Linux distribution you will see that the most problems are related to the same hardware manufactures, avoid these and your Linux journey will be much easier.

Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

John_316 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:25 pm Does anyone else get never ending problems with Linux!
OMG all the time. I've been using LM for years and I *still* have male pattern baldness. Oh, and the "automatically add money to bank account" function is still broken.

#firstworldlinuxuserproblems
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

I've been using LM for 5 years and the only problems I've had have been self-inflicted. Timeshift and Foxclone have had me up and running faster than a reinstall of the OS and additional software.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Venus Flytrap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Venus Flytrap »

BwingBob wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:56 pm I had quite a few problems with wifi drivers on an older HP laptop. After several days of troubleshooting my wifi issues I ended up buying an inexpensive USB adapter that had good Linux support. On my desktop older (i5) NUC everything just worked out of the box.
Bob
Bob, may I ask what brand/model of USB Wi-Fi adapter you ended up buying? I'm looking to do the same. Thank you!
System: Mint Cinnamon 21.1. CPU: Intel E7600. RAM: 4GB. Video: ATI HD 4830. SSD: Kingston KC600 512GB (boot-drive) & Kingston A400, 480GB (backup). Display: ASUS VA24DQ 23.8"
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

Venus Flytrap wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:32 pm
BwingBob wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:56 pm I had quite a few problems with wifi drivers on an older HP laptop. After several days of troubleshooting my wifi issues I ended up buying an inexpensive USB adapter that had good Linux support. On my desktop older (i5) NUC everything just worked out of the box.
Bob
Bob, may I ask what brand/model of USB Wi-Fi adapter you ended up buying? I'm looking to do the same. Thank you!
I bought one of these https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-wifi.html. A good reference for in kernel adapters can be found here https://github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi/bl ... rt_List.md. MediaTek also supplies driver code for it's chipsets, the chipsets listed here https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/use ... s/mediatek have in kernel support. I do not have any personal experience with them but Panda adapters seem to have good Linux support.

Good luck,
Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
Stormzy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stormzy »

John_316 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:25 pm Hi,
Does anyone else have never-ending problems with Linux or is it just me? I tried Mint a couple of years ago and I had lots of problems and I thought I'd try it again but I was just plagued with problems like my mouse not working properly, keyboard not working properly, I had issues with the Nvidia drivers and the list went on and on including crashing and wouldn't reboot. I really love the idea of Linux but out of the 20 odd hours I was using it 15 of those were problem solving. I've got really good hardware,
Asus Strix GeForce GTX 960
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming MB, Z170
Intel Core i7 6700K
Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) PC4-19200 (2400MHz) DDR4, HyperX Fury Blac
Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler
Samsung 512GB SSD, 950 PRO Series, m.2 (PCIE)
Seasonic 660W XP-660 V2 Power Supply, 80PLUS Platinum, Modular
Western Digital WD 1TB Black, SATA III, 7200RPM, 64MB

Anyone else have this???????
I actually haven't had any problems except for some small ones I figured out myself... I had this plan to write down all my problems and fixes (to help people like you who could end up getting the same ones), but I just haven't had one yet... That's good, I guess!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”