The reason I replaced Lubuntu with Linux Mint |||Avoid SNAP||

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

The reason I replaced Lubuntu with Linux Mint |||Avoid SNAP||

Post by linux_rules »

I read articles & watched videos on Youtube which says that from Ubuntu 21.10 Firefox too will be offered as a snap package. I am paranoid about security & I have read many articles which suggests that snap is not good for security.

Q1) The idea that Firefox's code in its current .deb for is reviewed by Ubuntu devs after Mozilla pushes a new release. So there is one more team looking at the code other than Mozilla itself so in case there is something malicious it will get caught. Do you thing this theory is correct ?

Q2) So when the the next Ubuntu LTS is released Ubuntu will be shipping with a snap version of Firefox. Now LM avoids snaps completely. So what is the Linux Mint going to do ? Will the LM team going to package Firefox themselves ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: The reason I replaced Lubuntu with Linux Mint |||Avoid SNAP||

Post by Moem »

linux_rules wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:37 am So when the the next Ubuntu LTS is released Ubuntu will be shipping with a snap version of Firefox. Now LM avoids snaps completely. So what is the Linux Mint going to do ? Will the LM team going to package Firefox themselves ?
In so far that anyone here has this knowledge, you can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=357531

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

@Moem
Read that entire thread but since its locked I am replying here. So after Ubuntu decided to turn Chromium into a snap LM started to package Chromium, This is great news coz I hope the same approach will taken for Firefox too.

I am curoius about one more thing. Does LM 20 pull Firefox directly from the Ubuntu repos or it modifies it in some way to add branding and stuff ? Does Ubuntu users get a new release earlier than LM users ? If yes how much approx is the delay ?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

linux_rules wrote: This is great news coz I hope the same approach will taken for Firefox too.
LM has already been doing so, even before Chromium.
linux_rules wrote:Does LM 20 pull Firefox directly from the Ubuntu repos or it modifies it in some way to add branding and stuff ? Does Ubuntu users get a new release earlier than LM users ? If yes how much approx is the delay ?
I don't know if LM uses the Ubuntu package, or direct from Mozilla. I do know there are some LM specific customizations. I don't monitor Ubuntu vs. LM release dates, but do know that LM does keep up with Firefox updates in a timely manner.
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

JoeFootball wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:13 am I don't know if LM uses the Ubuntu package, or direct from Mozilla. I do know there are some LM specific customizations. I don't monitor Ubuntu vs. LM release dates, but do know that LM does keep up with Firefox updates in a timely manner.
Okay, if I am getting Firefox asap after Mozilla releases an update I am happy. Its not that I am concerned about only Firefox when it comes to security patches. The entire OS is important to me but as you know the web browsers are the most attacked software as its the main interface between the a user and the internet.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

linux_rules wrote: ... as you know the web browsers are the most attacked software ...
Linux Mint is indeed aware of the need for timely security updates, especially for browsers. :)
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

The problem with Snap updates is that they can occur at any moment, like when you have a dozen browser tabs open and try to debug one ore more webpages with the buildt-in tools for web development ... Then when the automated update is finished, Firefox will restart with results that cannot really be predicted (normal tabs may be restored, but special stuff like web-dev debugging probably not).

And delaying Snap updates requires quite some terminal diving, and even then you never can completely "blacklist" a Snap from being updated (the latter never should be used for browsers anyway, but might be a desired feature for other applications).

Also, a problem not yet solved regarding flagship Ubuntu is that on version 21.10 you cannot install Gnome extensions via Firefox, due to the "sandboxed" nature of Snaps.
Now, this may sound like a luxury problem at least for those who don't use the Gnome flavour anyway, but it still disrupts a workflow that quite some users will be accustomed to. Only good news should be that at least that quirk will be solved in Ubuntu 22.04.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”