Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
cretsiah
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I swapped to Linux Mint. I went back to Windows, here's why

Post by cretsiah »

prawnlinux wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:48 am
You know what, I've been thinking about Linux and gaming recently.

Linux is different to Windows and Mac. I grew up using Windows at home, then because I worked in computer graphics, used a Mac for a long time. But, when I used Mac, I just got used to not having all the games that you had on Windows. That was the Mac platform, it had some games but not many. But, it did get to me a little bit when I'd speak to others at college and they were talking about all these cool games they were playing.

But, I did other stuff. I made graphics and I even managed to play Bioshock Infinite on Mac, towards the end.

Linux is the same. It has some games, but not all. If you are a die-hard gamer, stick with Windows or Xbox. But, if you don't mind, if your OS doesn't have ALL the games. But has a few, then you'll enjoy it. Linux will suit you. I mean, you can play DOTA 2 on Linux and it runs great. Same as CS:GO. Even Stardew Valley has a native version. But, it doesn't have everything. But, not everyone wants to play the latest and greatest games. A lot of people don't really care.

No-one ever complained that SEGA games were not on the Atari. You just played the games that were made available on Atari. That's where I don't understand Linus Sebastian's logic.
but what happens when your system(s) GAGS on windows 10 let alone windows 11, I literally cant install or update 4 computers at home because windows gags itself. (and yes they have had their bios updates to counter the other messes they made)
2 AMD FX series
1 AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
1 AMD Ryzen 2600
MattJ86
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MattJ86 »

As I said before Linux isn't for lazy people who just want a dumb launcher. It's for people who like to learn new stuff, customize, get rid of spyware at the OS level and don't be a corporate computing pushovers. Most of games that can't be played on Linux (even with Wine or Proton) are not worth leaving Linux for them. They are mediocre, repetitive, empty ripoffs wrapped in nice graphics. You will buy this crap for like $40, finish it in 10 hours and never play it again. Many professional Windows apps can be used on Linux and many of this software has quality FOSS alternatives. You don't want to learn, you are unable to search internet and ask for help from other users, stay with Windows, get ripped off of money, computer resources, get spied on. It's all your choice.
Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on 🥔 HP550 Laptop (2008): Core2Duo T5270 1.4Ghz, Intel GMA X3100, 4GB RAM, AData SU650 120GB SSD.
MurphCID
Level 10
Level 10

Post by MurphCID »

MattJ86 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:37 am
As I said before Linux isn't for lazy people who just want a dumb launcher. It's for people who like to learn new stuff, customize, get rid of spyware at the OS level and don't be a corporate computing pushovers. Most of games that can't be played on Linux (even with Wine or Proton) are not worth leaving Linux for them. They are mediocre, repetitive, empty ripoffs wrapped in nice graphics. You will buy this crap for like $40, finish it in 10 hours and never play it again. Many professional Windows apps can be used on Linux and many of this software has quality FOSS alternatives. You don't want to learn, you are unable to search internet and ask for help from other users, stay with Windows, get ripped off of money, computer resources, get spied on. It's all your choice.
I agree to some degree, however there are those who just want to boot up and have it work. They do not want to think about it at all.
MattJ86
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MattJ86 »

MurphCID wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:19 am
I agree to some degree, however there are those who just want to boot up and have it work. They do not want to think about it at all.
That's why I recommend them to stay with Windows. They have no right to b*tch around then. Like those who were complaining about changes from WinXP to Vista to 7 to 8 to 10 to 11. They bend over with their bare a**es buying this crap over and over, so they should STFU. :x

Freaking goddamn glowies. :lol:
Last edited by MattJ86 on Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on 🥔 HP550 Laptop (2008): Core2Duo T5270 1.4Ghz, Intel GMA X3100, 4GB RAM, AData SU650 120GB SSD.
MurphCID
Level 10
Level 10

Post by MurphCID »

MattJ86 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:33 am
MurphCID wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:19 am
That's why I recommend them to stay with Windows. They have no right to b*tch around then. Like those who were complaining about changes from WinXP to Vista to 8 to 10 to 11. They bend over with their bare a**es buying this crap over and over, so they should STFU. :x

Freaking goddamn glowies. :lol:
You have not been around my Spouse-Unit, children and father then. OMG, my Dad still considers Windows XP the greatest operating system ever. The howls I got from the Spouse-Unit when I upgraded her from Windows 95 to XP to 7 to 10 still ring in my ears. Once they get used to something, they DO NOT want to change..ever. I am NOT updating to Windows 11 on her laptop or the NUC since her head would explode. For my dad, my brothers and I entered a conspiracy to get him a laptop, install Linux MInt on it, and skin it to look like Windows XP. He is on his second laptop now, and It took a LOT of work on my part, and many reinstallations of Mint before I got it right. He does not know that it is not Windows XP, and he is just as happy as can be.

But they look at computers as appliances like a stove, or dish washer. They just want to turn it on, have it work. Of course they never do anything more exotic than email, internet usage (Chrome), word processing, and that is about it. They have no desire at all in getting under the hood, or changing settings. They just want to boot up, find their favorite programs, and watch videos on YouTube, or play card games.
AZgl1800
Level 17
Level 17
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have a very good friend about 4 miles from me.

He has his Wood Carving Business running on 4 Dell XP desktops.
yep, WinXP

He refuses to upgrade them, he says "why :?: they work just fine, when I don't need them, I shut them down"
LM20.3 Cinnamon on an ASUS FX705GM laptop
MurphCID
Level 10
Level 10

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:29 am
The Map of the Linux world: https://www.dedoimedo.com/images/comput ... -large.png
We Mint users are in a rogue state? Wow! :shock:
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit - System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
AndyMH
Level 19
Level 19

Post by AndyMH »

I did like the caliphate of Xandros. I lived there once upon a time.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 4 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 20.1, 2 x i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
Petermint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Petermint »

never do anything more exotic than ... (Chrome)
They start with the 900 ton gorilla that chews every resource then demands more. Chrome is the reason SDRAM sticks are expanding from Gigabytes to Petabytes. :shock:

They could keep XP on 20 year old hardware if they replaced Chrome with Links. :D
DisturbedDragon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DisturbedDragon »

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:21 pm
I did like the caliphate of Xandros. I lived there once upon a time.
Wow! That brings back memories. Spent some time there as well.
Last edited by DisturbedDragon on Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16C/32T | MSI x470 Gaming Pro | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Nvidia RTX2080 OC | Fedora 35 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.13.0 lowlatency
cliffcoggin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by cliffcoggin »

MurphCID wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:49 am
But they look at computers as appliances like a stove, or dish washer. They just want to turn it on, have it work.
Have you been snooping in my workshop? The computer in there runs a single application on Win7 to generate data which I transfer to the house Mint computer via a USB memory stick. It works and I don't want it to change.
Cliff Coggin
MurphCID
Level 10
Level 10

Post by MurphCID »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:16 pm
MurphCID wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:49 am
But they look at computers as appliances like a stove, or dish washer. They just want to turn it on, have it work.
Have you been snooping in my workshop? The computer in there runs a single application on Win7 to generate data which I transfer to the house Mint computer via a USB memory stick. It works and I don't want it to change.
LOL!! It is perfect as long as the computer works....
MurphCID
Level 10
Level 10

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:01 am
I have a very good friend about 4 miles from me.

He has his Wood Carving Business running on 4 Dell XP desktops.
yep, WinXP

He refuses to upgrade them, he says "why :?: they work just fine, when I don't need them, I shut them down"
And in the opinion of many (my 84 year old father included) XP was the LAST really good Microsoft OS.
MurphCID
Level 10
Level 10

Post by MurphCID »

Trying a post on Windows 11 on the MSI GS65 stealth. Fonts look much darker than in Linux or Windows 10. I am not in love with Windows 11, but it is not horrible just chock full of spyware.
majpooper
Level 7
Level 7

Post by majpooper »

MurphCID wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:29 am
The Map of the Linux world: https://www.dedoimedo.com/images/comput ... -large.png
+1 great map
I commute between the Republic of Debian and The Rouge State of Mint. I was born in Suselake and left for for the Great Commuist Empire of Ubuntu and have never gone back - not even to visit. I have visited the Independent Republic of Fedora . . . . OK place but I wouldn't want to live there.
Agentl074
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Agentl074 »

Remember too, that you can download Microsoft's fonts if you like them... I have. There is a way to almost do everything you've done on Windows... it may take a workaround or two, but it is doable. However, you cannot say the same thing with the shoe on the other foot lol. Windows is WAY behind in capability.
Indiana University Alumnus
MurphCID
Level 10
Level 10

Post by MurphCID »

Petermint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Petermint »

Both new fangled maps. What happened to

Code: Select all

Born in the CP/M
MattJ86
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MattJ86 »

MurphCID wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:14 pm
His later one: https://www.dedoimedo.com/images/comput ... olored.png
We have a freaking forest and everything else is a deadly wasteland. :lol: