Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Marie
Level 1
Level 1

Plus signs in search box and more

Post by Marie »

I am running LM Cinnamon 20.1 (on a computer I purchased in March of this year) and am having a lot of strange things happening lately. The weirdest one is that plus signs often spontaneously appear, filling up any search box, the browser bar box, the search box that comes up in the LM menu, etc.

Often when I am writing emails, it will start wildly scrolling like I am holding down the enter key (which I am not.) That also happens when I am composing a document with Libre Office.

When this is happening and I try to begin to shut down the computer, I press the LM icon and as soon as I hover at the "Quit" button, the computer quickly shuts itself down without my having clicked the Quit button or the Shut Down option on the window that comes up next.

All this can happen several times each day, but I can also go several days with no occurrences.

Any ideas?
RollyShed
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Plus signs in search box and more

Post by RollyShed »

Marie wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:10 pm
I am running LM Cinnamon 20.1 (on a computer I purchased in March of this year)
Are you sure it is a computer?
It just might help if we know what it is, a laptop, desktop, an XYZ processor and ever what country you are in.
I know exactly what is happening and why, if and only if you are using a.....
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Why is this in the Chat board? Do you want help or to chat about it?

You might test the problem in a guest account.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

is this a laptop? sounds like the touchpad is worn out or keyboard needs cleaning
Marie
Level 1
Level 1

Plus signs fill search boxes

Post by Marie »

I am running LM Cinnamon 20.1 (on a desktop computer I purchased in March of this year, along with a new keyboard and mouse. The processor is: Intel 4-Core i3-10100T) and am having a lot of strange things happening lately. The weirdest one is that plus signs often spontaneously appear, filling up any search box, the browser bar box, the search box that comes up in the LM menu, etc.

Often when I am writing emails, it will start wildly scrolling like I am holding down the enter key the create multiple returns (which I am not.) That also happens when I am composing a document with Libre Office.

When this is happening and I try to begin to shut down the computer, I press the LM icon and as soon as I hover at the "Quit" button, the computer quickly shuts itself down without my having clicked the Quit button or the Shut Down option on the window that comes up next.

All this can happen several times a day, but I can also go several days with no occurrences. For example yesterday this happened at least 5 times, but today, I have been on the computer for 6 hours and everything is OK.

I am in the US.

Any ideas?
Last edited by karlchen on Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged 2 separate threads about the same problem into a single thread.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Plus signs fill search boxes

Post by Cosmo. »

As I told you in the other thread, now with more details:

Open the login screen settings and activate the guest account. Reboot and login in as guest. Is there the same problem?
karlchen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by karlchen »

To Marie and to all participants.
Cosmo. wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:06 am
Why is this in the Chat board?
Moved the thread from "Chat" to "Hardware Support" for the moment:
A keyboard error comes to mind immediately, as long as no details have been found, which point at a different culprit.
--
Also merged 2 separate threads about the same problem into a single thread.

Karl
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Final Countdown
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Marie wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:10 pm
Any ideas?
could be your keyboard layout has changed. does it act the same with any live linux? you'll need to boot mint or any distro, open an empty text and test your keys

Return to “Hardware Support”