Win 11 - oh no it's faster

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Win 11 - oh no it's faster

Post by rambo919 »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:15 am Covid is not for the weak or faint of heart. OMG, this has sucked.
Funny enough, by the time I got it myself I was kinda disappointed.... I have had worse flu's.

Kinda reminded me of a flu I had as a kid where I had the same lingering cough for a month after I recovered.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

It affects people differently but also there are different strains of COVID, some more aggressive than others. Sounds like you either have a strong immune system and/or got lucky with a mild strain.

EDIT BY MODERATOR:
Please stay on Topic, or else some-one have to Edit out those bits.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

antikythera wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:17 am It affects people differently but also there are different strains of COVID, some more aggressive than others. Sounds like you either have a strong immune system and/or got lucky with a mild strain.
Well either way I am still not scared of the Kung Flu, might just be used to getting sick once a year by now hehe. It always was funny how no one ever described symptoms I was not used to except for the lungs going to sludge but I guess I am just not old or fat enough for that to have been a problem... and I don't smoke either.

It has been a while though that it took so long to recover from a flu, will say that.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rambo919 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:42 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:15 am Covid is not for the weak or faint of heart. OMG, this has sucked.
Funny enough, by the time I got it myself I was kinda disappointed.... I have had worse flu's.

Kinda reminded me of a flu I had as a kid where I had the same lingering cough for a month after I recovered.
It has been like a really horrible version of the flu, the body aches are the worst, it hurts to sit, it hurts to lay down, it hurts to stand up. That is the worst part. The cough is survivable. The lack of energy is more annoying since I had so much planned to do this week.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:51 am It has been like a really horrible version of the flu, the body aches are the worst, it hurts to sit, it hurts to lay down, it hurts to stand up. That is the worst part. The cough is survivable. The lack of energy is more annoying since I had so much planned to do this week.
Basically the computer said "no" :lol:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rambo919 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:34 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:51 am It has been like a really horrible version of the flu, the body aches are the worst, it hurts to sit, it hurts to lay down, it hurts to stand up. That is the worst part. The cough is survivable. The lack of energy is more annoying since I had so much planned to do this week.
Basically the computer said "no" :lol:
It is starting to sound like my wife..... :)
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

Back to the topic, if Windows 11 is SO much faster, why don't more people install it on their computers? Besides the system requirements being a factor, if it is SOOO good and perfect, then it should be on every windows machine should it not?
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

JesseRBassett wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:45 pm Back to the topic, if Windows 11 is SO much faster, why don't more people install it on their computers? Besides the system requirements being a factor, if it is SOOO good and perfect, then it should be on every windows machine should it not?
Because it's not always SO much faster and also while you can get it to install on unsupported hardware you really shouldn't bother.

I have it on two supported machines and it's not really any faster than W10 or Linux but I firmly believe it depends on the storage controller and drives concerned.

Windows uses cache a heck of a lot (and the hibernation file during boot after a shut down) to make up for the deficit from older SATA SSD and even slower HDD. If you have 4 lane pcie nvme drives installed then there's raw performance there across all operating systems that is equal.

I have tried my Samsung PM981a, Evo 970 and Evo 970 Plus nvme drives with Linux Mint, Tumbleweed and Arch along with W10 and W11. There's no perceivable performance difference between them for boot times or program loading, file reads and writes. They all benchmark on or over the manufacturer's quoted figures using Linux or Windows too. The same applies to my MX500 SATA SSD, the exception being the MX300 which is marginally faster with windows thanks to it's proprietary momentum cache. Momentum cache makes the MX500 micro-stutter though.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Tosh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tosh »

Just done a quick test on our 3 machines.

1st up was Dell Vostro Desktop. 18 months old, started off with Win 10 which updated to Win 11. 10th gen i7 processor, Intel on board graphics and 8 gb RAM. 500 gb SSD

2nd is 1 month old Acer laptop. Win 11, 11th gen i7, 16 gb RAM, Nvidea G Force RTX graphics with 4 gb and 500 gb SSD.

3rd is 12 year old Toshiba laptop. Mint 21 Mate. 2nd generation 13 processor, Intel on board graphics, 8 gb RAM. 500 gb SSD.

Fast start off in Windows.

Boot up times from hitting switch to desktop including signing in.

Vostro 38 seconds

Acer 30 seconds

Toshiba 35 seconds

So outright victory to the Acer (just) but it should be fast, its new with a much better spec. The Tosh is close enough not to matter and its 12 years older for starters.

Memory use after startup is interesting.

Vostro uses 2949 out of 8000

Acer uses 3365 out of 16000

Tosh uses 502 out of 8000.

Clear victory to Mate on memory use, shows just how bloated Windows is.

All that really matters is all 3 work and don't freeze and load apps fast.

No complaints with any but for a 12 year laptop the Toshiba is the star.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

urdrwho wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:29 pm My son bought me an Acer Travelmate with 8 gig of ram and it is running windows 11 Home. Of course I immediately installed Mint 20.3.

To my dismay I am finding that Windows 11 on this machine is faster than LM 20.3. Faster at loading apps, faster at booting, etc.

What is going on in my world right now? I'm tempted to use Win 11 over LM 20.3 ---- say it's not so. Is it some kind of illusion?
Disable its quick boot AND hibernation and then we'll talk again about how "fast" it is... :lol: Especially if you disable the page file, then it becomes as slow as a Trabant. The latest versions of Windows require the minimum size of the page file to be between 800 and 1024 MB but you still can disable it completely. Windows without a page file is a pregnant woman carrying triplets. :lol:
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

and why should anyone disable the page file for? Just asking.
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

A pregnant woman carrying triplets, at least the only one I met, is far more interesting than a discussion of a page file. :D

If a page file slows things down, there must be paging. Disabling the page file seems like the wrong approach. Removing the cause of paging is more useful or installing more ram. Windows does tend to page earlier than Linux, a proactive move, and that can be noticeable on a rusty old magnetic disk but nobody uses them for the system partition nowadays. 8)

That proactive paging leads to a slowdown instead of a sudden crunch, one of the few good things about Windows. On the other hand, it lets people forget the symptoms of an overloaded machine and they end up with an Apple style soggy mess in need of a clean. Instead they buy a new machine to get more speed, something that would be good if I were selling the machines. Linux users tend to spring clean more often, letting us keep our old 4 KB ram machine with the 8" floppy disks.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

You DUAL-BOOT
I couldn't disagree more given the sheer ocean of problems so many have encountered and reported with dual booting scenarios of Windows and Linux.

Even if one accounts for everything else, nothing can stop a windows 10 or 11 update from eventually being forced downloaded and installed, and THAT has been proven occasionally to mess with one's ability to boot the Linux distro if it's installed into the same storage drive Windows already lives in.

Joe Collins said it best but I'll paraphrase in my own words

" Keep the Windows and Linux worlds on separate storage drives, and you'll keep your sanity. Yes it's more tedious, but that will help ensure neither mess with each other one way or another. Grub and windows boot manager were never and still aren't designed to play nicely with each other. It's just too much head that isn't worth dealing with. Much more simple to just grab a spare storage drive and install the Linux distro into that and ensure one is disconnected completely when booting into the other."
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

If it is taking that long to start up LM compared to Windows, then something is wrong with your LM install.

I have a Lenovo Yoga C940 that I bought in 2020. I removed the Win10 SSD, installed a new SSD with a fresh install of LM. LM starts faster and opens apps faster compared to the Win10 install that used to me on the machine.

There are a lot of variables there such as the Win10 install has a lot of extra bloatware on it including a number of applications from Lenovo required to use certain features. Also, the SSD that I bought to run LM is a much newer and faster one than the one that came with the laptop with Win10 on it.

YMMV
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I dual boot LMDE5 and Windows 10 just fine, it's not that complicated if you read up first what to do (including preventing one of them from updating the hardware clock - I picked windows to time sync. and disabled it in Debian)

I agree that if it takes linux longer to boot (compared to windows with fast boot in power settings turned off) there may be an issue with the linux configuration.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Marie SWE wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:50 pm You people must have really stressed out life's, when you are in such hurry that just a few seconds is the dealbreaker of what OS to choose. :mrgreen:
My computer has an HDD spin-disk to boot from, and i grab a cup of coffee meanwhile it starts. 8)
Exactly.

I never understood why some users are so concerned about boot times other to have something to complain about. :lol:

I have mechanical hard drives on my computers and like you after I power on my computer I grab a bagel and a mug of coffee. :)
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

I never understood why some users are so concerned about bagels.
I prefer real bread. :lol: I used to prefer fast boot times because I had to boot up in a taxi to the airport or in the car at a red light or ... Speed was important for short bursts of work on the go. Now I use my mobile phone for those short sharp communications.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

151tom wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:24 am
Marie SWE wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:50 pm You people must have really stressed out life's, when you are in such hurry that just a few seconds is the dealbreaker of what OS to choose. :mrgreen:
My computer has an HDD spin-disk to boot from, and i grab a cup of coffee meanwhile it starts. 8)
Exactly.

I never understood why some users are so concerned about boot times other to have something to complain about. :lol:

I have mechanical hard drives on my computers and like you after I power on my computer I grab a bagel and a mug of coffee. :)
I get the bagel and coffee before I boot, so I have something to munch on.... Yummm Everything bagel with canadian bacon, ham, sharp cheddar with really strong tea.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Mechanical drives are another preference. I have some for capacity but not in notebooks or laptops. Too many of the following.
I bumped my laptop, it hit the floor and is dead. Help!
Where are you?
Six hours drive away.
Did the computer have an SSD?
No.
There are people in the world with different needs. I once met someone who never sat on a cliff overlooking the ocean reviewing photos of seabirds on their big notebook screen instead of the little camera screen. :shock:

Anyway, SSDs survive a dip in the ocean better than mechanical disks, another reason for using SSD. You could be the one in a million who never has to recover ...
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

PS, the rusty rotator/SSD discussion does not alter the Win/Linux discussion. Both operating systems benefit the same and break the same. Of the two OS choices, I prefer the simpler backup and recovery options for Linux if I have to store data on iron instead of silicon.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”