Which Mint version did you start with?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
all41
Level 18
Level 18

Which Mint version did you start with?

Post by all41 »

I was looking for an alternative and tried several disappointing Linux distros.
They all seemed unreliable (hindsight--probable pebkac).
I vaguely remember Gloria 7, but had better success with 10 and even more so with 12.
But it was Maya 13 LTS that won me over and convinced me that I could be Linux only,
and I made that commitment.
Everything is difficult before it gets easy.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Which Mint version did you start with?

Post by Pjotr »

Started with Ubuntu 6.06 (not counting a soon aborted attempt with Ubuntu 5.04). Loved it.

Mint first came into the picture for me with version 11, the LXDE edition, if I recall correctly. On a weak spare rig. I really liked it, after I had overcome my initial prejudices (in those days, many Ubunteros looked down on Mint, much like Debianites looked down on Ubuntu).

Then Ubuntu began pushing UI changes I loathed, so (after a brief interlude with Xubuntu) I fully switched to Mint on all of my machines. Never looked back. :mrgreen:

Mint is just doing it right in so many ways. And has been doing that consistently, for so many years. What's not to love?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21 Vanessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I started with v17.0, right after WinXP hit EoL. Dual-booted at first, but eliminated that about a year or so later. I still had some way to run Windows apps (Wine, dual-boot Win7, and Win7 VM) until v19.0, when I ditched my iPhone for Android and forced myself to learn darktable and GIMP. I started with MATE, but switched to Cinnamon with v19.0 because that is what I installed and I am too lazy to change a functioning system.
The Muffin Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Muffin Man »

I started with Linux Mint 9 for my home pc with the Gnome Desktop, then switch to KDE. That was my home experiment to see if it would just "work" or would I have to spend a lot of time admin-ing it. <spoiler alert>I didn't</spoiler alert>
To me that _proved_ Linux on the desktop _was_ ready for prime time. I even raised my girls on it.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Mint 9 LXDE was the first one I tried but then I ended up using Mint MATE after a brief period with Fedora XFCE and later MATE in between. Over the years I have distro-hopped and have always maintained an interest in what developments are going on elsewhere. These days I just use LMDE and try out new things either with Live Media or VM. I do occasionally give over my older linux box as a bare metal test machine and have a spare SSD I can hook up for that purpose or resort to a foxclone image afterwards.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I started with the Mint 17 series, Mate DE. Mint 17.3 was the best Mint hands down.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I think I started with Linux Mint 9 with the Gnome Desktop, but didn't use it full time. Finally went Linux Mint full time with Mint 17 Mate desktop which I ran until a little past EOL, then used Mint 18 KDE until EOL for that version and switched to KDE Neon.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

LM v3.0 Cassandra after a disastrous experience with both openSuse and Ubuntu, and I still consider myself a novice. :-)
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
GoLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GoLinux »

Knoppix was my very first distro, one of the first with a live option, back then on bootable CD.

Tried a bazillion others, including the original Debian. Settled on Mepix for a number of years. Then discovered Mint and never looked back 😄.

Just yesterday I installed LM 21 Vanessa, Cinnamon edition, on an old i-3 PC I intend to recycle as a HTPC.
Mint 20.2 Cinnamon 64bit
Acer Aspire 7750G-6645, Intel i5-2450M, AMD Radeon HD7670M - 1GB

Mint 19.1Cinnamon 64bit
HP EliteBook 2540p, Intel i7-L640

Mint 18 Mate 64bit
Samsung NP300U1A-A01US, Intel i3-2357M
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I played around with Fedora in the early days but never could see any use for it. I checked back from time to time and I never could see someone using it. When my Brothers Windows 7 crashed after an update and I couldn't fix it he refused to buy an OS. I convinced him to try Linux. It was Mint 18 Cinnamon that I loaded for him which he ran until he passed away. I loaded Mint 18 XFCE and dual booted until I just couldn't stand to use windows anymore. I still have now Windows 11 on another drive but haven't logged into it for quite a while.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
dollyp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dollyp »

Played around with a few distros before settling on Mint. Can't remember the version but it would have been 2007 or 08. Haven't strayed from the path since,although I used Xfce for long time before moving to Cinnamon; that would have been around the time Cinnamon was created and seemed a bit fragile. Thanks to the team at Mint and also you guys on the forum.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

I played with linux as a diversion back in the 90's--Redhat (no DE), then went to Simply Mepis, eventually Ubuntu, and Mint. I started using Mint as my daily driver at Mint 13.0 XFCE, and have used Mint 15, 16,17, 18, 19, and 20, also MX-21 XFCE which would be my second choice to Mint.
Hoser Rob
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Hoser Rob »

Schultz wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:07 pm
...Mint 17.3 was the best Mint hands down.
I kinda agree with that. Funny, a lot of Linux geeks seem to think that Ubuntu 14.04, which was Mint 13's code base, was peak Ubuntu and that it's been going downhill since.
karlchen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by karlchen »

all41 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:06 pm
But it was Maya 13 LTS that won me over
You took the words right out of my mout, ahem, right out of my keyboard. :wink:
It was clearly Linux Mint 13 "Maya" (Cinnamon), which convinced me. Maya stayed with me for the full 5 years. No early retirement approved.
(But to be honest, Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin (Unity), Maya's base, was with her all the time as well.)
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
t42
Level 8
Level 8

Post by t42 »

...yeah, Mint 17.3 remains unbeatable as most stable OS ever made...
-=t42=-
Termy
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Termy »

I remember trying to get into Linux Mint years ago, which might have been version 11 or 12, but it was honestly a buggy mess back then. I remember trying all the iterations (the DEs), but they all seemed to have a lot of issues, even the trusty XFCE. I'm very happy to see Linux Mint work a million times better, these days!
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
JerryF
Level 15
Level 15

Post by JerryF »

Mint 17.1 was the first.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I think the first time I saw Mint was ca. 2012, and I had set up several recycled laptops at my then job with it so we didn't have to worry about Windows licensing issues. A couple years later, I decided to leave Apple, so I spent about 18 months getting all (well, 80% or so) of my data migrated out of proprietary and/or obsolete formats. Then, I think I moved over around 17.0 or 17.1.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
t42
Level 8
Level 8

Post by t42 »

I used to use Linux on a systematical bases from 2006 when we received a mail from Mark Shuttleworth containing 2 CDs with Ubuntu 6.06. I liked then oriented desktop project and Dapper Drake was, in fact, my first step to Linux Mint. After Ubuntu 10.10 gone it was replaced by Maya, 13 and counting.

Sent to ...my home address by Ubuntu ) :
-=t42=-

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”