<SOLVED> Forum running slow today? (12 Jan 2023)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Forum running slow today?

Post by Dullard du Jour »

Maybe he moved to a Windows Servers 2022 setup? :lol:

I am pretty sure they have borked something up. I know I have gotten repeat emails on posts, and still slow posting.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

wallyUSA wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:09 pm Has anyone noticed the Forum running slow today (and yesterday)? Random trouble connecting?

Using Brave browser but same on other browsers as well. Is it just me?
I was just going to start a new Thread on this topic, then Refreshed and saw yours, so here is mine.
------------------------------

for the last two days, maybe more?

this forum's server is dragging its' feet something awful.

to the point where I think that i have lost the Internet....
yet, if I wait for 60 seconds, or 90 seconds, my post finally shows up.

it is taking 20 seconds now just to load the forum to view.

And my Internet is NOT slow

Speed T-Mobile.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:54 am The forums will be slow again today, continuing with the heavy task that isn't complete yet.
At least there is a Definitive Reason.

I just saw the 1st post, and tagged on,
then decided to read the full thread and saw your post.

sigh, I will go back to sleep, and come back tomorrow. :roll:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

For the past two or three days, the forum has been running slow again.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:18 pm For the past two or three days, the forum has been running slow again.
I counted to 18 seconds just waiting to respond to this post....

something needs to be Updated, like a new Server that is faster
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Yep, for several days now it has been slow for me also. Getting double emails on some posts, slow to accept a post, had a post from another user disappear yesterday. That post that got lost may have been moderator action, no idea.

I am thankful for the forum and for those that provide it but frankly, I have rarely been on a forum that has this many issues with speed and posting. Any other forums for cars, boats, etc. I would be probably more understanding but...a forum for Linux, run by Linux Mint, does not speak well of the situation or for Linux
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Slow for me as well.
I clicked on the Reply button and it took 6 or 7 seconds to move to the reply page. I will let you know immediately after this post is submitted how long it took as that has also been slow for me.
Here we go!

Wee, that was quicker than it has been a few times today and yesterday, taking 5 seconds.
However it is normally almost instantaneous, so 5 seconds is slow.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

ajgreeny wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:57 pm Slow for me as well.
I clicked on the Reply button and it took 6 or 7 seconds to move to the reply page. I will let you know immediately after this post is submitted how long it took as that has also been slow for me.
Here we go!

Wee, that was quicker than it has been a few times today and yesterday, taking 5 seconds.
However it is normally almost instantaneous, so 5 seconds is slow.
We should be able to blame admin just like on ubuntuforums.org :D
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Lou77 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:52 pm Yep, for several days now it has been slow for me also. Getting double emails on some posts, slow to accept a post, had a post from another user disappear yesterday. That post that got lost may have been moderator action, no idea.

I am thankful for the forum and for those that provide it but frankly, I have rarely been on a forum that has this many issues with speed and posting. Any other forums for cars, boats, etc. I would be probably more understanding but...a forum for Linux, run by Linux Mint, does not speak well of the situation or for Linux
Been here 10 years--enough to know that this is only occasional. Some sites go completely dark during maintenance.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joss »

Running slow here too.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

The slow performance may be related to admin removing older accounts with no posts
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

all41 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:08 pm
Lou77 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:52 pm Yep, for several days now it has been slow for me also. Getting double emails on some posts, slow to accept a post, had a post from another user disappear yesterday. That post that got lost may have been moderator action, no idea.

Been here 10 years--enough to know that this is only occasional. Some sites go completely dark during maintenance.
I don't doubt you at all but...I have been here less than 2 months and this is maybe the fourth, multi-day event for this slowness. Not complaining, only supporting what others are experiencing and posting about. I have manage a handful of forums over the years, it is not rocket science but does require knowledge. I know there is no good time to do something because night time somewhere is day time somewhere else. I also know that some forums are bandwidth strapped because of growth or cost of bandwidth. The financials of the forum are none of my business and I won't ask but if it is a cost issue then maybe Mint should allocate more money to bandwidth. I see members here with support badges but I have not seen any way from this forum to support the forum. Maybe I have missed that?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Apologies it is taking so long folks. We're almost done and through it. It's maybe one, at most two more days of slowness. By Tuesday we should be back to regular. After that there will be an occasional slowness but only for an hour and only once a month.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

xenopeek wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:09 pm Apologies it is taking so long folks. We're almost done and through it. It's maybe one, at most two more days of slowness. By Tuesday we should be back to regular. After that there will be an occasional slowness but only for an hour and only once a month.
ah,
that's okay,

we just have to gripe at ya for somethin..... :mrgreen:

whatever it is you are doing, is taking 4 days to manage?

that is humongous, mind giving up some details?

My forum used to be slow forever, back around 2002 thru 2008, but it was running on a single Desktop PC in Dublin, Ireland, and the WIDEBAND connection to the owner's house was a trifle slow.... :|

then he sold it to a conglomerate, and it took them two years to mangle up our stuff so we could not find anything.... really ticked us off big time,
we lost ALL of our Gallery Pictures
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Yep, I noticed the slowness today too. Can't say it isn't annoying, but figured something was going on, so no worries. 8)
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

11:30am here in UK and suddenly the forum seems back to full speed.

Well done to whoever did it and got things back to normal again!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

at times, it is at Full Speed

now at 6:30 a.m. CST in Oklahoma, it is slow again
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Yes, well, this isn't too useful: we would like to have a report with single minute granularity so as to keep on top of things. Every two minutes if absolutely need be -- but definitely no more...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

And we're through it — the forever task is done… With that I mean the hours/days long slowness you may have experienced the past couple of weeks should be no more. Apologies to all for this taking so long and having such impact.

What is unchanged is that every day at a fixed time the forum is unresponsive for a couple of minutes when a scheduled heavy task runs. But that's only for a two to three minutes. Just to forestall "it's still slow!" comments later today when that happens :)

From here on out the forums should be back to their regular responsiveness. With exception that once a month for one hour the task needs to be run again. Users will experience the slowness again during that hour. I'm sorry but this is unavoidable. We'll try to run the task on the 1st of every month so it will at least be predictable.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

And new Firefox updates will continue to lag
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”