Linux Mint 14 RC

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
squeezy

Re: Linux Mint 14 RC

Post by squeezy »

Sucking down the 64-bit MATE ISO right now. Will report back after installation :)
hairybiker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairybiker »

Installed the 64bit Mate edition earlier. (Seperate partition, same /home with new user)
First impressions:-
No jockey-gtk to install nvidia driver - WHY???
Plymouth screen was at 640x480 not very nice (I have a 1440x900 monitor), after nvidia install out of sync so probaly looking at 1600x1200
Compiz still has the same problem as it had with Maya same fixes work.

A few updates to be installed, but otherwise looking quite good.
Dialog boxes are a bit boxey oob - more like win 3.x - need to check my current config and copy it over.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

hairybiker wrote:Installed the 64bit Mate edition earlier. ...................
Good Question.. :?:
I used the new Device Driver Manager that Schoelje made for LMDE-KDE '(as yet un-official).
Information and download is available from link below.
It is proposed to eventually be included in all Mint versions. It does work well in Nadia. :)
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=113559

I beleive Clem wants to use it, but perhaps waiting for de-bugging.
Testers are appreciated.
It has worked flawlessly for me on 4 different Mint installs.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I installed the Cinnamon x64 RC on my desktop and laptop today. I like how Cinnamon is shaping up. :D Nemo looks nice in this edition and all of the functionality seems to be back in place. The desktop effects are what really convinced me to install the RC, it has just the right amount of effects without overdoing it. The menu is nice with places and recent documents, the new icons look good. I also like the new wallpapers, themes and the variety of MDM greeters that come with this edition by default.

I had to go with the NVidea experimental drivers to have Plymouth display right but as I understand, others with NVidea graphics are doing the same because of issues with the other drivers. The hot corner feature is great in this release, the animation in the corner, the desktop names and the background used really make this attractive! Cinnamon is really getting customizable now. I used the stars background that is included and the metal MDM and I was happy to have these by default, it looks nice and I did not have to hunt around on-line to have things looking the way I wanted. I like the way black was used on the left of Nemo and the green highlighting on selected items, it not only looks good but is is easy on the eyes.

The ATI drivers worked perfectly on my HP laptop, it has discrete graphics. Both the desktop and laptop have decent memory use for using a full featured desktop environment. I was surprized to see the battery monitor show up by default on the laptop, my wife's Windows 7 laptop does not even have this feature by default. To be perfectly honest, I had planned to stay with the LTS release but because of all the refinements that have made it into Mint 14, I decided to use the new release instead.

I noticed that the bug with Firefox bookmark hover text has been fixed, nice! The current problem with the menu text being cut off on some of the longer application names is pretty minor and I am sure this will be fixed by the time Mint 14 goes final. The tapping noise when the desktop loads is pretty minor too and I am certain there is an easy fix for it. The few bugs that were found are all very minor. Mint 14 has convinced me that the classic desktop is alive and well. Cinnamon is a great blend of the familiar features we all love and just the right amount of new features to keep things exciting and fresh. :D

Edit: I also like having the ability to control what runs at startup again. It is really handy having a default tool to be able to tweak things. Mint 14 is really running nice and quick on my hardware, Ubuntu with Unity was no where near this quick and responsive.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I considered giving the Cinnamon RC a try, but I'm stuck with the ATI Radeon HD4200 which is no longer supported. That makes intensive graphics out of the question. But the fact that MATE is also very nice eases the pain. :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I considered giving the Cinnamon RC a try, but I'm stuck with the ATI Radeon HD4200 which is no longer supported. That makes intensive graphics out of the question. But the fact that MATE is also very nice eases the pain. :lol:
Very true. With Mate you do not need desktop effects to have a nice system. :)
styckx

Post by styckx »

tdockery97 wrote:I considered giving the Cinnamon RC a try, but I'm stuck with the ATI Radeon HD4200 which is no longer supported. That makes intensive graphics out of the question. But the fact that MATE is also very nice eases the pain. :lol:
What's funny is I'm on the flip side of you but with the same results. My main rig has a 6990 sitting in it and prefer MATE.. I could probably drive 6 Cinnamon desktops with this card yet choose the lower end of the graphical spectrum desktop choice. :)

Cinnamon is nice but variety is the spice of life.. :)
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

hairybiker wrote:Installed the 64bit Mate edition earlier. (Seperate partition, same /home with new user)
Plymouth screen was at 640x480 not very nice (I have a 1440x900 monitor), after nvidia install out of sync so probaly looking at 1600x1200
The jockey functionality has been built into the Software Sources app now.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

squeezy wrote:Sucking down the 64-bit MATE ISO right now. Will report back after installation :)
Well, no luck for me. Two failed attempts to install. The installer crashes near the end of the install while it's installing/configuring grub. The md5sums check out OK on the ISO I downloaded.

Is this one of the issues where you should delete the ubiquity slideshow?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

squeezy wrote: The jockey functionality has been built into the Software Sources app now.
with pictures :lol:
(nadia mate)
i used Schoelje's DDM (as Gene said, testers needed)
caf4926 wrote:wine won't install either
same. couldn't debbug this further, the only think i get in terminal is

Code: Select all

zerozero@zerozero-nadia-mate ~ $ apt install wine
[sudo] password for zerozero: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 adobe-flash-properties-gtk : Depends: adobe-flashplugin (= 11.2.202.251-0quantal1) but it is not going to be installed
 wine : Depends: wine1.4 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
zerozero@zerozero-nadia-mate ~ $ apt install wine wine1.4
Building dependency tree       
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 adobe-flash-properties-gtk : Depends: adobe-flashplugin (= 11.2.202.251-0quantal1) but it is not going to be installed
 wine1.4 : Depends: wine1.4-amd64 (= 1.4.1-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: wine1.4-i386 (= 1.4.1-0ubuntu1) but it is not installable
           Recommends: gnome-exe-thumbnailer but it is not going to be installed or
                       kde-runtime but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: ttf-mscorefonts-installer but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: ttf-umefont but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: ttf-unfonts-core but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: winbind but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: winetricks but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
the broken package message above regarding flash is because i installed opera through SC and it failed to resolve the dependencies

Code: Select all

zerozero@zerozero-nadia-mate ~ $ sudo apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree       
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  adobe-flashplugin
Suggested packages:
  konqueror-nsplugins x-ttcidfont-conf msttcorefonts ttf-xfree86-nonfree xfs libnspr4-0d
The following packages will be REMOVED
  mint-flashplugin mint-meta-codecs
The following NEW packages will be installed
  adobe-flashplugin
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 2 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/6,886 kB of archives.
After this operation, 19.3 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
atlee

Post by atlee »

aparently wine cannotbe installed because there are packages which it require which hasn't been placed in the repos yet :)
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

I don't see a place for bug reports anywhere, except this from the search function.

Mint 13 had a bug with writing to USB flash drives. It wrote much slower than previously and the on screen indicator was well out of synch with reality. The real 'joy' was the "0 Minutes remaining" which could be displayed for up to a minute.... I seem to recall the problem being blamed onto the Kernel used at the time. Seems the Kernel used for Miont 14 either is the same as before of has the same bug. Does anyone have more information?

Thanks.

G.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

grizwald wrote:I don't see a place for bug reports anywhere, except this from the search function.
Thanks.

G.
Here ya go!... :wink:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I am having an intermittent problem with the system getting a black screen and not getting to the MDM.... I looked at the settings in MDM and made a couple of changes but I am not sure that is where the problem is. Still investigating the issue.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have rebooted 7 times now and the MDM has shown up every time now. I turned off the sound in the MDM for when the desktop loads. I wonder it the problem may have been because it was using a default Gnome sound and the one the MDM used?
frsu

Post by frsu »

Fresh install Nadia Mate runs fine on my netbook. Installed Cinnamon on my test PC.

Is it possible to install Cinnamon now on my netbook besides Mate, so I can choose Mate or Cinnamon in the session chooser?
hairybiker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairybiker »

You should be able to install it from synaptic fine.

Installed Cinammon edition after seeing some people were happy with it.
Issues:-
Mate edition - Booted to empty desktop after install yesterday was working fine, no toolbar etc. Reboot doesn't cure it nor did a restore panel to default.
This is with nvidia driver & compiz installed.
Cinnamon edition - Installed over a previous home folder for a cinnamon user - no desktop on first boot. Added new user from cli, boots fine but clicks about 6 times on startup. (Formatted the / partition for it, seperate /home partition)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have ruled out MDM as the problem with the intermittent issue of the computer just stopping at a black screen. This has to be a kernel or NVidea driver issue.
Paul_Vandenberg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

I noticed when choosing the Mint-Z theme in Cinnamon that GTK3 apps are using the default GTK theme. I found out that /usr/share/themes/Mint-Z/gtk-3.0 is empty. By looking at the DEB package, I saw that the directory is supposed to be a symbolic link to /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0. After I manually created the symbolic link, Mint-Z looked fine on GTK 3 apps.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”