Linux Mint 14 RC

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
squeezy

Re: Linux Mint 14 RC

Post by squeezy »

squeezy wrote:
squeezy wrote:Sucking down the 64-bit MATE ISO right now. Will report back after installation :)
Well, no luck for me. Two failed attempts to install. The installer crashes near the end of the install while it's installing/configuring grub. The md5sums check out OK on the ISO I downloaded.

Is this one of the issues where you should delete the ubiquity slideshow?
OK, was just a bad burn onto my USB stick. Redid it this morning, using same downloaded ISO, and it installed just fine. Running Nadia MATE 64 as I type :)

Only issue so far is when I open Synaptic and the password dialog appears, nothing echoes back when I type the password in. It appears to take the password just fine, Synaptic launches, just don't get any visual feedback when typing.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

squeezy wrote: Only issue so far is when I open Synaptic and the password dialog appears, nothing echoes back when I type the password in. It appears to take the password just fine, Synaptic launches, just don't get any visual feedback when typing.
i saw a similar problem today when i installed nadia-cinnamon but in mdm: at first boot (using nouveau) the username and p/w imput was a light yellow (unreadable); the issue solved itself after installing the nvidia drivers.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

After playing a little more, it seems the password dialog does work, it is simply slow in responding to the typed input. If I wait 1-2 seconds the dots appear. However, as I said before it seems that the password is in place because if I whip through the typing and hit enter, the application opens just fine even though the dots have not had time to echo back to the screen.

I am running the nouveau driver so that might be part of it, although the driver works well otherwise. No lag or screen tearing.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Paul_Vandenberg, I copied your post and put it in the testing section on the community site. Nice find by the way and your solution was very much appreciated.
atlee

Post by atlee »

hairybiker wrote:You should be able to install it from synaptic fine.

Installed Cinammon edition after seeing some people were happy with it.
Issues:-
Mate edition - Booted to empty desktop after install yesterday was working fine, no toolbar etc. Reboot doesn't cure it nor did a restore panel to default.
its not an nvidia issue, I installed mate then cinnamon. Cinnamon rebrands as Ubuntu 12.10 however installing cinnamon brings mate to a blank desktop no toolbar no nothing but shortcut keys everything works. always has even with LM 13. In console logout your session and login as Cinnamon. Cinnamon works, Mate's toolbar etc is gone even trying to reload the mate session it refreshes itself but without toolbar access.

I think if you install Cinnamon and then Mate the toolbar wont disappear but if you install Mate then Cinnamon and it disappears just use a terminal to logout and switch to Cinnamon then logout and switch back to Mate then you will get everything back.
Last edited by atlee on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

exploder wrote:I am having an intermittent problem with the system getting a black screen and not getting to the MDM.... I looked at the settings in MDM and made a couple of changes but I am not sure that is where the problem is. Still investigating the issue.
I also am experiencing this but only when I have the proprietary Nvidia driver installed for my Nvida GT 430 video card. My wife has the identical desktop tower except it has an Nvidia GT 220 and hers has the same problem with booting to a blank screen intermittently. Had the same problem with LM 13 (on both computers) except MDM would appear for 1 to 2 seconds or boot to a blank screen and then crash with no error message. As with LM 13 I switched to GDM--problem gone. All other display managers work fine, only MDM keeps crashing for me with the Nvidia driver(s). With LM 13 I tested with various kernels as well--no difference. If the Nvidia driver is installed, MDM crashes.

By the way, if you boot to a blank screen, dropping to a command prompt (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and typing the following:

Code: Select all

sudo service mdm restart
...will bring up the MDM login screen. This works in both LM 13 and LM 14.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

kmb42vt, hey thanks! I am going to give it a try. :) I will let you know how I make out with this.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

exploder wrote:kmb42vt, hey thanks! I am going to give it a try. :) I will let you know how I make out with this.
Check out my update to my post. Adds a bit more info. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
JDinAZ

Post by JDinAZ »

I cant get the 64 bit cinnamon distro to install via usb. I've tried a few different usb sticks made sure its formatted fat. I've installed mint many times via usb stick with no problems anyone know if I need to do something special to make this version boot/install from usb? Thanks
atlee

Post by atlee »

JDinAZ wrote:I cant get the 64 bit cinnamon distro to install via usb. I've tried a few different usb sticks made sure its formatted fat. I've installed mint many times via usb stick with no problems anyone know if I need to do something special to make this version boot/install from usb? Thanks
Use Image Writer in Mint works fine.
JDinAZ

Post by JDinAZ »

atlee wrote:
JDinAZ wrote:I cant get the 64 bit cinnamon distro to install via usb. I've tried a few different usb sticks made sure its formatted fat. I've installed mint many times via usb stick with no problems anyone know if I need to do something special to make this version boot/install from usb? Thanks
Use Image Writer in Mint works fine.
Thank you! I've been at this for hours. I cant believe countless Google searches & reading many a thread on booting/installing from USB didn't have this simple yet effective solution. My fingernails & sanity thank you.
toxiccity90

Post by toxiccity90 »

Hi, I want to know if anyone else confirms that Totem and Mate-screensaver are still not getting along. And by that I mean that mate-screensaver isn't inhibited by totem even when totem is set to inhibit all screensavers for audio and video. Also when caffeine is installed this still doesn't inhibit mate-screensaver.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I've downloaded both Mint 14 MATE and Cinnamon and installed them in Virtual Box - they are both very nice and, IMHO, better than 12.10 which I found somewhat unpolished and slow after a nice 12.04 release. Cinnamon has come a long way, and I like the included themes. At least in my experience, Cinnamon works much better with llvmpipe than Unity does - Cinnamon wasn't nearly as laggy as Unity. Overall, both seem very polished, although I'll have to test them more to be sure.
atlee

Post by atlee »

cwwgateway wrote:I've downloaded both Mint 14 MATE and Cinnamon and installed them in Virtual Box - they are both very nice and, IMHO, better than 12.10 which I found somewhat unpolished and slow after a nice 12.04 release. Cinnamon has come a long way, and I like the included themes. At least in my experience, Cinnamon works much better with llvmpipe than Unity does - Cinnamon wasn't nearly as laggy as Unity. Overall, both seem very polished, although I'll have to test them more to be sure.
You need to understand that Mate and Cinnamon is a layer on top of 12.10 :D
andersau
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andersau »

I installed the 64 bit cinnamon from a USB stick created with unetbootin and it installed perfectly - in 6 minutes! The changes to cinnamon work well and the desktop seems very slick.
catulimint

Post by catulimint »

I reporting since Linux Mint 14 Nadia MATE 32bit

CPU: AMD A4 3300 2.5Ghz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD6410D
RAM: 8GB (4x2)

Works good, but i use drivers from x-edgers repository (AMD Catalyst 12.11Beta (12.10 stay on oficial repository), this drivers up 3d performance in various apps: wine give more fps with this drivers) in launchpad ppa (sudo add-apt-repository nameppa and later sudo apt-get update and installed use synaptic)

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

And use this guide for driver installation

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996

This screens is from my desktop on nadia MATE 32bit (wine 1.5 17 works good)

:D
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

atlee wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:I've downloaded both Mint 14 MATE and Cinnamon and installed them in Virtual Box - they are both very nice and, IMHO, better than 12.10 which I found somewhat unpolished and slow after a nice 12.04 release. Cinnamon has come a long way, and I like the included themes. At least in my experience, Cinnamon works much better with llvmpipe than Unity does - Cinnamon wasn't nearly as laggy as Unity. Overall, both seem very polished, although I'll have to test them more to be sure.
That doesn't mean will then have the exact same level of sluggishness. On my computer everything is more responsive than Unity, especially Cinnamon. MATE is also a good deal different from 12.10.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

atlee wrote:
I do understand that, however 12.10 comes with Unity, not MATE or Cinnamon. I find Xubuntu 12.10 quite nice; it's only pure Ubuntu 12.10 that I find slow. MATE should be faster than unity and cinnamon because it doesn't require 3d acceleration and it inherits Gnome 2's fairly light characteristics. I also, in my experience, find Cinnamon to be much faster than unity on 12.10/14. On 12.04/13, I found Cinnamon only slightly faster than Unity, although YMMV
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

The RC is looking good here. Running the Cinnamon 32 iso. Cinnamon is definitely more polished and responsive than the last time I used it. Not really having any issues so far.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Mint 14 runs perfectly on my laptop with ATI graphics. The desktop with NVidea 9100 on-board graphics is still not restarting reliably. I put Mint 13 back on the desktop with Cinnamon 1.6.4 and Nemo until the upstream bug gets resolved. I am enjoying Mint 14 on my laptop and it is much more user friendly for me because of the new themes included. I can sit back and use the laptop thanks to the nice dark Cinnamon theme I am using. :D I am hoping the newer version of Cinnamon and Nemo get backported to the LTS. I really like all of the refinements in Mint 14,

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”