What if Linux Mint moved away from Ubuntu?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Snapcase

Re: What if Linux Mint moved away from Ubuntu?

Post by Snapcase »

Personally, I like the idea of leaving Ubuntu away from the equation and Linux Mint migrating towards Debian Sid. A longer support for releases or a less crazy upgrade policy would be very welcome thing. I have nothing against Ubuntu as an OS itself, or being the base for LM, but upgrading every six/nine months is kinda crazy. It's annoying that Linux Mint has to be necessarily locked to this too short releases support.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Mint should ditch the non LTS versions, like Trisquel.
js3915

Post by js3915 »

Lin Jones wrote:I would probably move on if Mint left the Ubuntu base. I feel like it's the best base in Linux right now. I really don't care for Debian proper. It takes Ubuntu to get Debian right and then Mint to get Ubuntu right.
Have you actually Tried Mint Debian 201303? Im just curious what unbuntu or normal mint can do that LMDE cannot do out of the box? I havent seen anything special between one or the other.. other than Debian the software is older versions in some cases not all...That obviously can be resolved if LMDE used Sid Repo. Functionality wise...If Mint Makes ubuntu better it can easily make debian better infact already does. Software center is same.. Installing my nvidia drivers same so curious what is special that if they were to cut the middle man out aka ubuntu that they couldnt turn around and do
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

Bolle1961 wrote:Mint should ditch the non LTS versions, like Trisquel.
Some of us use only LTS versions for the stability and long life. If Mint abandoned LTS releases, we'd all be back on Ubuntu or one of it's flavors.

~nilla
passerby

Post by passerby »

Nilla Wafer wrote:
Some of us use only LTS versions for the stability and long life. If Mint abandoned LTS releases, we'd all be back on Ubuntu or one of it's flavors.

~nilla
I think you should re-read Bolle1961's post.
"Mint should ditch the non LTS versions, like Trisquel."

I saw another post on the forum (can't find it) suggesting Mint does only LTS releases, and instead updates its ISOs when the new releases come out.
eg. Rather than Mint 14, 13.1 would have been released, with all of the updates presented since the initial release.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

What an interesting topic. Anyway I don't think Mint should move away from Ubuntu. Mint has proved that even with the most Unstable version of Ubuntu it can still make a great product out of that buggy base. I think PPA is one of the main reasons. Its so nice and covinent and I have been using all kind of distros and man I miss PPA. I have used debian distros and it is nice to be able to get updates from Debian stable yet be able to run newer application thanks to backports to other distros( You can do the same thing in mint but it is usally not needed thanks to PPA)

Maybe the community could make a Linux mint distro from scrach as it seems Clem has his hands full. Clem updating on LTS only could be a good idea and have backports to the newest apps in the source.list not really needed thanks to PPA once again but still an idea. Although he can still do the update method he does now and I could just update when an LTS comes out be still have the option to get updates in between. Just gonna update via APT with ever LTS and backup inportant stuff on Flash Drive. Ever so occastionally though I will update the reccommended way to keep my system lean,clean and fast :) Someone did say how good Manjaro is and man is he right, Zeven Neptune Os is another nice distro for people that like KDE based on Debian be careful with it though as it did deleted the contents of my entire Home Folder. Have a good backup in place and you will really enjoy it!( I will stop though I shouldnt be advertizing other distros lol) Mint is just a no BS distro that works and thats what I like.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

passerby wrote:
Nilla Wafer wrote:

I saw another post on the forum (can't find it) suggesting Mint does only LTS releases, and instead updates its ISOs when the new releases come out.
eg. Rather than Mint 14, 13.1 would have been released, with all of the updates presented since the initial release.
Cool idea I hope Clem considers that :D
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

Have you actually Tried Mint Debian 201303? Im just curious what unbuntu or normal mint can do that LMDE cannot do out of the box? I havent seen anything special between one or the other.. other than Debian the software is older versions in some cases not all...That obviously can be resolved if LMDE used Sid Repo. Functionality wise...If Mint Makes ubuntu better it can easily make debian better infact already does. Software center is same.. Installing my nvidia drivers same so curious what is special that if they were to cut the middle man out aka ubuntu that they couldnt turn around and do
The only reason why I'm not on LMDE is that there's not a KDE version. I installed the available KDE on it, but it's the "plain" outdated and buggy KDE 4.8. 4. Not the Mint Tweaked KDE 4.10.5 we find in the current Ubuntu based KDE release, which is even a better KDE than the plain one IMO. I don't think Ubuntu is needed at all either. Debian is as good as a base as Ubuntu can be, LMDE fully proves it. Though I'd prefer a less conservative Debian Sid Based distro.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I like two of the ideas above. Either concentrate on LTS with point releases every 6 months until the next LTS, or just make LMDE the main edition with all the current desktop choices included. Cutting the support period of the primary editions in half to 9 months is not a good thing for the users, and puts more pressure on development.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
js3915

Post by js3915 »

Snapcase wrote: The only reason why I'm not on LMDE is that there's not a KDE version. I installed the available KDE on it, but it's the "plain" outdated and buggy KDE 4.8. 4. Not the Mint Tweaked KDE 4.10.5 we find in the current Ubuntu based KDE release, which is even a better KDE than the plain one IMO. I don't think Ubuntu is needed at all either. Debian is as good as a base as Ubuntu can be, LMDE fully proves it. Though I'd prefer a less conservative Debian Sid Based distro.
Yeah that is one of the few downsides to LMDE.. Packages aren't as up-to date as Main Linux Mint... My philosophy would be cut out the middle man AKA ubuntu. If Mint is fixing all the ubuntu issues perhaps if they went pure debian base instead of fixing issues they could improve where LMDE is add in what makes normal Mint great not have to fix ubuntu downfalls.. Provide one release give users option to run LMDE as is aka off debian testing or a simple choice to run say "expermental" IE ability to run the latest packages Then you could get your latest KDE in the way Normal Mint provides...

Sidenote.. I like normal mint too this is all in theory if the mint team truely decided to step away from ubuntu as a main base i see no reason they need too just giving input what would be best if in theory they decided.. Debian ultimately would be the closest to current plus they already have spin.. Plus who knows what ubuntu camp will change in the future
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I've strictly used LTS versions on my laptop and desktop since Ubuntu 8.04 (and now with Mint 13).
It's the "upgrade fever" that's gets people in hot water sometimes.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint on Its Own

Post by rbeltz48 »

I'm looking for comments on any plans Mint has to completely break away from Ubuntu and make its own definitive mark in the Linux world. Thanks.
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Same subject, so merged topic here.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

MartyMint wrote:I've strictly used LTS versions on my laptop and desktop since Ubuntu 8.04 (and now with Mint 13).
It's the "upgrade fever" that's gets people in hot water sometimes.
I agree. I've used mainly LTS releases (since 6.06). Same with Mint.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint on Its Own

Post by MALsPa »

rbeltz48 wrote:I'm looking for comments on any plans Mint has to completely break away from Ubuntu and make its own definitive mark in the Linux world. Thanks.
I don't think there are any such plans at this point.
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

rbeltz48 wrote:I'm looking for comments on any plans Mint has to completely break away from Ubuntu and make its own definitive mark in the Linux world. Thanks.
Linux Mint has definitely made it's mark on the Linux world! Was it Mate or Cinnamon that was started by Mint and now finds itself in several other distros... Some of the Mint tools are being used in other distros as well. There's no question that Mint gas had an impact and made it's mark... and it's not over yet.

You make it sound like Mint is "just Ubuntu with green paint," but it's a heck of a lot more than that!

~nilla
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Nilla Wafer wrote:You make it sound like Mint is "just Ubuntu with green paint," but it's a heck of a lot more than that!
Ubuntu with green paint and Cinnamon flavor? :P
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Yeah....it is ubuntu underneath and they sprinkle some mint and cinnamon on it :lol:
rustguard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rustguard »

What if Mint stayed with Ubuntu LTS release and had Debian replace the short term releases?, on the mint hardware page it seems that alot of poeple are using LMDE?
I would like to hear from someone on the development team what the pro's and con's of each system would be.

As for up-to-date packages I have found mint to be behind things in the past. it took ages for the later trigger rally maps to make their way into the mint repos

edit-
Unless of course mint starts to update like Ubuntu, then the short release time would not be an issue, But right now it is a big one.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I suppose it's inevitable that Mint will shear off from the Ubuntu base one day as a fully unique distro.
I'm in no hurry. The Ubuntu affiliation has been a benefit to Mint and vice versa.
js3915

Post by js3915 »

No plans that anyone know of just talk what if and if so what would be the choice... Ubuntu is good base as any. In theory any base can be put in like suse or slackware redhat/fedora probably bsd even.. most would cause alot of work most logical is debian simply because ubuntu is based on debian sid plus extra stuff they put into it

rustguard wrote:What if Mint stayed with Ubuntu LTS release and had Debian replace the short term releases?, on the mint hardware page it seems that alot of poeple are using LMDE?
I would like to hear from someone on the development team what the pro's and con's of each system would be.

As for up-to-date packages I have found mint to be behind things in the past. it took ages for the later trigger rally maps to make their way into the mint repos

edit-
Unless of course mint starts to update like Ubuntu, then the short release time would not be an issue, But right now it is a big one.
Not bad suggestion though LMDE is a semi rolling release no reason not to keep your system updated but im suprised by the support for LTS of 5 years is it thats kinda nice to have but even still would be curious how often people update that run LTS releases IE how many stay on previous LTS's until they cannot anymore

One thing i wish ubuntu or mint even would do is make home on its on partition by default. yes you should back up somewhat religiously but home on its own partition is a good idea plus makes updating easier as your home partition and files will remain when you update your system

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”