Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
wolfyrion
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 5:25 pm

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby wolfyrion » Tue May 14, 2013 6:53 pm

anyone manage to install compiz Fusion with cinnamon and make it work?

if so please tell....

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6514
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby zerozero » Tue May 14, 2013 6:55 pm

wolfyrion wrote:anyone manage to install compiz Fusion with cinnamon and make it work?

if so please tell....

compiz is not compatible with muffin (the cinnamon window-manager)
Image

[ bliss of ignorance ]

godsotherhand
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby godsotherhand » Wed May 15, 2013 12:22 pm

tdockery97 wrote:
godsotherhand wrote:( doing dist-upgrade and it gives me the EFI kernel even tho i dont need that. Then, it wont boot with that kernel (kernel panic). If i select the old normal kernel, i get other error, this time in green text (weird green text) telling me that it will be fixed with a reboot... lies! ).

Keep in mind that Linux Mint is designed to NOT do dist-upgrade. That's why the default setting on the Update Manager is set to levels 1-3. Bringing in a newer kernel can cause instability and eat your hamster.


yeah, but in order to upgrade from RC to normal release you need to do a dist-upgrade..
Besides it's not that a big of a problem.. in 2 years dist-upgrade broke it like 3-4 times...and it was fixed like the next day.. (i dont mind breaking it).

User avatar
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5021
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Salem, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby tdockery97 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:42 pm

godsotherhand wrote:yeah, but in order to upgrade from RC to normal release you need to do a dist-upgrade..
Besides it's not that a big of a problem.. in 2 years dist-upgrade broke it like 3-4 times...and it was fixed like the next day.. (i dont mind breaking it).

Not true. Just applying normal updates with the update manager brings you from the RC to the final release. This has been stated by Clem himself many times in the release announcements.

User avatar
usbtux
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 977
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:37 am

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby usbtux » Wed May 15, 2013 1:17 pm

http://www.noobslab.com/2013/05/linux-m ... -been.html

ISO's available now - downloading cinnamon 18 at the moment
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17.3 Mate. Pepermint 6 & Manjaro 15.12 Capella XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850

Adelante
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:16 pm

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby Adelante » Wed May 15, 2013 1:30 pm

USBtux, please note:

zerozero wrote:Please do not download the isos in the mirrors until official announcement
http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/05/getting-isos-before-their-release-is-risky-and-not-recommended-even-though-it-helps-us-a-bit/


usbtux wrote:ISO's available now - downloading cinnamon 18 at the moment
Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon
Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce

User avatar
palo
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Walking on sunshine

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby palo » Wed May 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Adelante wrote:USBtux, please note:

zerozero wrote:Please do not download the isos in the mirrors until official announcement
http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/05/getting-isos-before-their-release-is-risky-and-not-recommended-even-though-it-helps-us-a-bit/


usbtux wrote:ISO's available now - downloading cinnamon 18 at the moment

Gonna wait awhile before downloading 18 but I did install 15 in VBox and didn't burst into flames - but it's smokin'.

Pat
Gosh you have a lot of nice toys here.

godsotherhand
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby godsotherhand » Thu May 16, 2013 2:28 am

tdockery97 wrote:
godsotherhand wrote:yeah, but in order to upgrade from RC to normal release you need to do a dist-upgrade..
Besides it's not that a big of a problem.. in 2 years dist-upgrade broke it like 3-4 times...and it was fixed like the next day.. (i dont mind breaking it).

Not true. Just applying normal updates with the update manager brings you from the RC to the final release. This has been stated by Clem himself many times in the release announcements.

Really? In that case sorry, my bad.

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 19371
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby xenopeek » Thu May 16, 2013 10:46 am

The RC is now released officially: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2361
Image

User avatar
rkmugen
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby rkmugen » Thu May 16, 2013 12:04 pm

This is great news! Though the fact that you need a processor equipped with "PAE" is the deal breaker for me. I just hope that the next LTS release (Mint 17... right?) will still allow my lowly 1.5 GHz Pentium M (the one with the "Centrino" badging stickered onto it) to work.
My setup:
    *Linux Mint 13 XFCE 32-bit; Compaq Presario V2000-Intel 1.5GHz (Pentium M) - Intel 82852/855GM integrated video (i915)
    *Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit; HP Media Center PC m7780n; GTX 750Ti (v346.72); Intel E6400 dual-core @ 2.13GHz

-Snowrider-
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby -Snowrider- » Thu May 16, 2013 2:39 pm

rkmugen wrote:This is great news! Though the fact that you need a processor equipped with "PAE" is the deal breaker for me. I just hope that the next LTS release (Mint 17... right?) will still allow my lowly 1.5 GHz Pentium M (the one with the "Centrino" badging stickered onto it) to work.


Check this post out it may help you.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&p=719569#p719569

User avatar
rkmugen
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby rkmugen » Thu May 16, 2013 6:13 pm

-Snowrider- wrote:Check this post out it may help you.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&p=719569#p719569


!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!! :D

However, because I just re-installed LM13XFCE and spent hours fine-tuning it, I don't think I'll be re-trying Nadia (14) or perhaps even Olivia any time soon. The slowness of my internet connection is the sheer reason I usually stay away from downloading non-LTS releases like 14, 15, and perhaps even 16..... if something goes wrong with any of those, it's a real pain in the .... err... a real shot in the arm to have to go back and reinstall 13. I generally don't fool around with multiple partitions.... i'm a simple man!

It was just out of overwhelming curiosity to see the direction of where the OS was going in terms of hardware support that I really pushed myself to try Mint 14 at all. At some point, you kind of just get tired of version-hopping and just want some stability... I'm really speaking for myself, though I know there are others out there who'd agree with me.

So, I guess I'll likely try the technique out with the "fake-PAE" kernel when the next LTS release comes out..... that is, if the guys at Ubuntu don't cut us all a break by either refusing or neglecting to ship their next LTS with a non-PAE kernel (i'm under the assumption that Mint's next LTS will be based invariably on Ubuntu's next LTS).

Again, thank you for this!
My setup:
    *Linux Mint 13 XFCE 32-bit; Compaq Presario V2000-Intel 1.5GHz (Pentium M) - Intel 82852/855GM integrated video (i915)
    *Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit; HP Media Center PC m7780n; GTX 750Ti (v346.72); Intel E6400 dual-core @ 2.13GHz

claudepaquette
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby claudepaquette » Thu May 16, 2013 7:19 pm

How do you change the screen resolution in Mint 15???

I can't find anymore the option to change it or to manage dual screens.

I'm stuck in mirror mode with low resolution.

andersau
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:27 pm

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby andersau » Fri May 17, 2013 8:33 am

Hi, I eventually found display settings in System Settings by activating 'advanced settings'. More options, including display will then appear. This does seem a bit counter intuitive.

User avatar
palo
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Walking on sunshine

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby palo » Fri May 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Silly (even dumb maybe) question; I noticed during install that there is a skip button on the progress bar. I didn't want to click it as I wasn't sure what exactly it would skip :oops:

Pat
Attachments
RC15C installer.png

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 19371
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Linux Mint 15 Approved for RC Release

Postby xenopeek » Mon May 20, 2013 3:03 am

The roadmap shows good progress for the RC: https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap. Out of 82 issues reported by users on the blog, already 55 have been handled! There are sure to be a few though ones in there, but looks good for final release this month I think :)
Image


Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests