Cinnamon is almost there.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DisappearingOak

Cinnamon is almost there.

Post by DisappearingOak »

It's usable but needs some nice features in the future like task bar groupings, configurable icon-only tasks, window previews, to get to par with other desktops like kde and win7. Or is there extension for that? The desklets feature is nice but useless when there are almost no available desklets. At least give me a beautiful big analog clock... maybe a nicely skinned winamp-like jukebox desklet with simple buttons for music controls? Hope there will be stuff like this in the future. Also, the themes for cinnamon are old-fashioned, and third-party themes are relatively poor, with overdone transparencies and with half of them not even being readable. Sorry if it sounds like complaining, I made a couple of my own themes which I uploaded, but would like to see better more professional themes. I hope the desklets section of cinnamon-spices will fill up soon also.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abnvolk

Re: Cinnhttp://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopamon is almost th

Post by abnvolk »

I pretty much agree with you.
Cinnamon needs more extensions and desklets (sorry, I'm too dumb to make one :) ). Right now there are only 2 desklets, apart from 3 default ones. And I think why desklets when you can use screenlets, conky... There is only a dozen of extensions, and many of them are outdated.
As for window switching, there's a window list applet with windows preview here. Haven't tried it yet because I use Docky, which suits me very well. There is also an icon-only window list with groups. It'd be lovely if these two were merged :)
Guess that everybody has a different taste on themes. I think there are many beautiful Cinnamon themes, the only problem is that many are outdated. I was frustrated when Cinnamon 1.8 broke the scrollbars and menu highlights of my themes, and had to apply some dirty fixes...

PS: Oops, after writing this post, I noticed there were 4 desklets, and one of them was an analog clock. Wow :)
bigj231

Re: Cinnamon is almost there.

Post by bigj231 »

I have used that window list applet in the past with excellent results.

I think the biggest reason for lack of goodies is because Mint is pretty much the only distro to ship with cinnamon. I don't know of any other major distros that do that. If something like Debian (yeah right) or even Fedora shipped with cinnamon, I think we'd see a lot more development. So everybody create a bunch of forum accounts over there and whine about the lack of default Cinnamon. :D Seriously though, don't do that. You'll probably get IP banned and will most definately make the admins/moderators of all forums involved very angry.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”