Why do you always have to ruin everything?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
rado84
Level 3
Level 3

Why do you always have to ruin everything?

Post by rado84 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:24 pm

Why do you always have to ruin everything? That's the question I wanna ask the devs ever since I installed Mint 15. On 14 there was a program which brought up a window allowing to edit applets settings such as keyboard indicator. Now that so important and useful program is replaced by something called "About me". Who the gives about my info? That's supposed to be an operating system, not a social network. :evil:
Like this is not enough but 15 is overwhelmed with tons of bugs that none of the updates fixed. For instance, when I go to theme personal settings and change the colors of "selected items", these colors also change the title and scroll bars for all windows. That wasn't there on Mint 14. "Selected items" suggests things that have been clicked on such as selected text and/or items from an expandable menu.
Another problem is the inability of OS to recognize png files containing transparency. All icons on the panel have correct transparent colors except for one - the one I set to be the icon for the "Menu" button. That icon in question has a transparent color which appears in all image editing programs with both Linux and Windows. However, when I set it as an icon for "Menu" button on the panel - transparency is gone and the button has light gray background. The icon's transparency was recognized for a few seconds, right after the moment I selected it and then it turned to light gray.
The third anomally you've created is the difficulty to start OS after video driver installation. With Mint 14 everything was perfect - none of the above bugs was present nor was the driver bug. But with 15 it took me several cold reboots in order to make the OS to run. All I got was a non-blinking cursor at the top left of the screen. After the sixth reboot the desktop appeared.
Now I have to roll back to Nadia since because of everything you've ruined my desktop looks ugly like Windows 3.11, colors are being auto-applied wherever the OS wishes and every time I start the PC I have to restart it 6 times in order to get to the desktop.

With that rate of successfully ruining this OS reputation, very soon it won't be the 4th most used OS but it will be the 40th most unused OS.
Last edited by xenopeek on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove profanities.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Why do you always have to ruin everything?

Post by xenopeek » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:50 pm

While I'm sorry to read you have had such a bad experience with Linux Mint 15, your tone and use of profanities is neither constructive nor appreciated here. The lack of details, like in fact which edition of Linux Mint 15 you are using, means the feedback is not something the developers can actually work on. I find it puzzling that you are here shouting blame, yet I've not seen you post about these issues you have encountered in an effort to get these solved. Feedback about issues or disappointments with a release is of course not what the developers hope for, but it is genuinely appreciated when constructive feedback is given so the developers can improve upon their work or work with upstream to resolve issues there.

This however, is not constructive. While I understand frustration when things don't work as expected, I don't see what you hope to achieve by posting with such hostility and blame.

rado84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rado84 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:51 am

This is an observation of Mint development. Ever since I was trying to use Mint there was something that made me give up, starting with Mint 10. All Mints from 10 till 13, included, were freezing upon first startup right after installation. It took several restarts in order to make 13 run without freezing and on top of that it was impossible to update it because of some error in the package manager which wasn't fixed until Mint 14. A whole year (or more) to fix an error.
I didn't post constructive critisism because I know it won't do any good here. If fixing an error took you a year I don't even wanna imagine how long it would take you to fix more serious glitches.
It seems you reply to topics only when they contain words such as "f*ck". I had an older registration here whose login data I forgot and I had to create this one. From all the topics I've posted on this forum (with both registrations) this is the first one that a dev/admin replies. Apparently if one wants to get help he must use bad words. :lol:

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:17 am

rado84 wrote:Apparently if one wants to get help he must use bad words. :lol:
Correction. You got the attention of a moderator. Pity you weren't kicked.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:28 am

I think it's good thing that if someones isn't happy with something then they tells what's wrong.

Sure messages could be more detailed as what's wrong, but in this case it seem, it's like many small details.
Also fixing issues one by one, doesn't fix the real issue, that the problems existed in first place.
I have not my self even tryed Mint 15, because at the moment my Mint 14 is actually working pretty well.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon, Windows 7

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:11 am

Rado84, I may be wrong but you have so much problem with this almost perfect release, that you should probably be the problem.

The theme manager for example is working absolutely fine with me. Browse the web, look for the answers. I am sure you will find them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Dyfi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dyfi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:05 am

The problem with most computers is the loose nut between the seat and the desktop.

ImpWarfare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ImpWarfare » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:39 am

The "About me" app is on nearly all of the desktop environments (e.g GNOME, MATE, Cinnamon, etc) it is just standard practice to place that app on the desktop environment. And please read this http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm (Linux is NOT Windows guide).
System Specs:
Processor: Intel Core-i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz /// Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5 /// RAM: 2 X 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory /// Hard Drive Storage: 4TB SATA Hard Drive

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:55 am

Without getting into a debate about the method with which you chose to voice your problems and concerns, is it possible you have hardware issues on your machine? To have usability issues across Mint 10, 11, 12, 13, 15 suggests something else is going on besides issues with Mint since the majority of users are, or were, able to use them without issue or with minor issues. There are always hardware that will not be supported in future kernel releases, and other times hardware that just isn't supported, so it is possible something is awry with either the method you use to install and maintain your OS or something going on in the hardware. It's hard to believe Mint/Ubuntu would be the problem year after year on your machine unless there's an oddball piece of hardware, strange configuration or something failing/failed.

rado84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rado84 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:46 am

TBABill wrote:is it possible you have hardware issues on your machine? To have usability issues across Mint 10, 11, 12, 13, 15 suggests something else is going on
Not possible, mr. Professor! Mint is the only OS that causes me this kind of trouble - refering to Mint 10 to 13 which all froze at start up. No other Linux distro has ever done this.
But... it doesn't matter now. I gave up trying to reason with Mint, I'll download Manjaro. It seems its developers and community are more responsive to problems and from what I heard they don't tend to make changes nobody asked for. So, farewell and you can delete my profile and posts here. My history with Linux Mint is over - forever!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”