Base/structure relationship of Mint to Ubuntu, Debian?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Lynwood
Level 3
Level 3

Base/structure relationship of Mint to Ubuntu, Debian?

Post by Lynwood » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm sure this is answered somewhere here, but I don't know where. I'd like to know the extent to which Mint, including 15, is based on Ubuntu/Kubuntu? What of the U/K base &/or repositories does Mint use? It seems that I've read that Mint is in the process of separating itself from Ubuntu altogether; is that right? Further, how do they differ from the Debian-based version, i.e., what "base" or more plus repositories does LMDE use and how do they differ from those of the "regular" Mints?

I'm sure the best answer is a link to an explanation, perhaps an article, of this issue. Thanks.

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Base/structure relationship of Mint to Ubuntu, Debian?

Post by TBABill » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Mint relies on all the Ubuntu repos and adds its own as well. It's fully based on Ubuntu, but Mint 15 I believe removes all pieces of Unity. You can reinstall them if you wish, but they're removed initially. If Mint separates, it has not begun in the current and past versions.

They differ from Debian because they're built from a snapshot in time from Debian repos. LTS versions are based on Debian Testing, having taken a snapshot of repos, then built the rest from there. Incremental versions between LTS versions are normally built on Debian Unstable, also from a snapshot and then tweaked from there by Ubuntu.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”