help documents

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

help documents

Post by mike acker »

anyone else here feel we might need to review our help documents? i try to search for stuff as the forum asks before posting a post but i've not had a lot of success

right now i'm fussing over getting a flac encoder codec for k3b

but there were other things as well that i had to add to Ubuntu -- i don't know if these will affect MINT yet--

-- play restricted dvd in VLC -- i had to enable this

-- edit keyboard layour shut off cap lock key

-- add codecs to OneShot video edit -- had to add a library
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Snapcase
Level 3
Level 3

Re: help documents

Post by Snapcase »

i try to search for stuff as the forum asks before posting a post but i've not had a lot of success
Yes, almost every forum asks for the same in an intent to keep the topics and the info focused instead of spreading in so many topics, plus keeping the date base smaller. Nice, but... Usually the search tools in so many forums work far from decent, and using customized searches with Google use to work much better. Type this into Google:

site:forums.linuxmint.com whatever you want to search for

In other hand, small forums like this with not too much activity are not specially helpful in many cases. For instance if you use the main flavor, Cinnamon you are more likely to get sucesful help. Most Mint users use the main version, but if you are using KDE like me, most topics about questions and problems normally live unsolved or simply don't have any reply. I use to find better help surfing the web for help in other forums, blogs, wikis or whatever. Don't get me wrong. I still prefer rather small forums with a friendly helping community. Huge ones, like the Ubuntu forums are kinda crazy. Too much activity going so posts are often swallowed and lost in the immensity within minutes. To search the huge forums, better use the Google search instead of posting on them. Whatever you want to ask is surely asked and discussed a lot of times before. It's the idea why the forums staff ask for using the searches before posting. and what the small forums want to achieve too... but this seldom happens.
anyone else here feel we might need to review our help documents?
Are you referring to this?

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Re: help documents

Post by mike acker »

Snapcase wrote:
i try to search for stuff as the forum asks before posting a post but i've not had a lot of success
Yes, almost every forum asks for the same in an intent to keep the topics and the info focused instead of spreading in so many topics, plus keeping the date base smaller. Nice, but... Usually the search tools in so many forums work far from decent, and using customized searches with Google use to work much better. Type this into Google:

site:forums.linuxmint.com whatever you want to search for

In other hand, small forums like this with not too much activity are not specially helpful in many cases. For instance if you use the main flavor, Cinnamon you are more likely to get sucesful help. Most Mint users use the main version, but if you are using KDE like me, most topics about questions and problems normally live unsolved or simply don't have any reply. I use to find better help surfing the web for help in other forums, blogs, wikis or whatever. Don't get me wrong. I still prefer rather small forums with a friendly helping community. Huge ones, like the Ubuntu forums are kinda crazy. Too much activity going so posts are often swallowed and lost in the immensity within minutes. To search the huge forums, better use the Google search instead of posting on them. Whatever you want to ask is surely asked and discussed a lot of times before. It's the idea why the forums staff ask for using the searches before posting. and what the small forums want to achieve too... but this seldom happens.
anyone else here feel we might need to review our help documents?
Are you referring to this?

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
thanks for the well thought reply. i agree: i've had better success just googling for the issue i'm hunting for. i found a document on updating LibreOffice to level 4.1 VLC plays DVD's just fine, no problem there. OpenShot appears to be able to render all the various video formats so that demon is conquered .

a couple things i ran into, coming over from Ubuntu 12.05 LTS -- () I had to download and install the EMIGMAIL plug-in from the ENIGMAIL board; () moving the user profile for ENIGMAIL was tough due to permissions issues, however we found that by .tar -ing the data we created a portable copy that was then accepted on the Cin/Mint system ; () I still have not found how to get K3B to rip in .flac format but I'm able to use SoundJuicer instead; () the share-file plug-ins for GwenView are missing and I've not found any info on that.

which leads me to suggest the idea of program related 'experience pages' for the forum here
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”