Linux Mint 16 Beta Download

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vdpollm
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 16 Beta Download

Post by vdpollm »

hi,

i would like to test Linux Mint 16 Beta on my machine. where can i get it?

regards

Marc
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 16 Beta Download

Post by midas »

There won't be a beta-edition...only a release candidate (RC) and after this the final release. Just wait a little longer before the RC-version will be released...within some weeks my crystal ball is telling me :-)
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

You can get a feel for how things are going by watching the Linux Mint Community page. [url]http://community.linuxmint.com/iso[/url] You can view the time line for prior releases as well. Enjoy
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

All the release candidates are in testing right now!!
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

The initial RCs were rejected (this is not unusual) but strangely enough and for the very first time to my knowledge, the next set under testing are labeled as "Beta 1". I know Clem has always stated that only RCs are released to the public so I don't know whether there's been a change in policy or not. Perhaps these builds are mislabeled?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

The Petra repositories are up, so you can convert an Ubuntu installation if you want to do it that way.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

kmb42vt wrote:the next set under testing are labeled as "Beta 1"
Previous builds have had a build number from the date and time they were built at. Perhaps this is a shift to make tracking easier :wink: There have always been beta release; those are what the Linux Mint testing team tests. Once the testing team has finished testing and the test findings are acceptable, that's when an RC is pushed out to the public.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

xenopeek wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:the next set under testing are labeled as "Beta 1"
Previous builds have had a build number from the date and time they were built at. Perhaps this is a shift to make tracking easier :wink: There have always been beta release; those are what the Linux Mint testing team tests. Once the testing team has finished testing and the test findings are acceptable, that's when an RC is pushed out to the public.
Could be, could be. Either way, it's been announced that the RC has been approved and will be released on the 15th of this month (Linux Mint Blog). :wink: :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Post by manyroads »

Does anyone know where the RC download is located? For whatever reason I am unable to find it...
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

rabideau wrote:Does anyone know where the RC download is located? For whatever reason I am unable to find it...
Maybe because they haven't been released yet.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Post by manyroads »

Thanks, for some reason I thought today was the 15th. I wish I could remember where I lost my mind.... :oops:
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

rabideau wrote:Thanks, for some reason I thought today was the 15th. I wish I could remember where I lost my mind.... :oops:
If you ever find it see if mine is there with it. I lost it a long time ago. :D
junkman8650

Post by junkman8650 »

I found this while searching Google.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/testing/

I don't know if it's the real deal, version 16 RC, but I am loading it on a USB stick right now to find out!

Edit: Turned out to be the real deal!
Last edited by junkman8650 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
junkman8650

Post by junkman8650 »

Post edited, no longer needed now it's been released!
Last edited by junkman8650 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redsandro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Redsandro »

Can the RC upgrade to 'RTM' when it's done?
🤘 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio.
Ninite-killer. 1000+ packages.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

Redsandro wrote:Can the RC upgrade to 'RTM' when it's done?
The RC release and the final release use the exact same repositories (and therefore packages), it's just the RC is released before the RTM.
Redsandro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Redsandro »

I know, so in theory the answer is yes. But in practice?

I don't know what the difference is between Mint RC's and Ubuntu (final) beta's, but the beta often caused errors that wouldn't go away even though updates were flowing in after RTM. I had that as recent as 12.04 where the loginscreen-background was all noise. It wouldn't go away until after a fresh install of the RTM.

So for Ubuntu (final) beta's, my answer would be: In theory yes, in practice, never.
With Mint RC's I've never tried this.
🤘 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio.
Ninite-killer. 1000+ packages.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

In the last few versions of mint you could upgrade the RC to the final release just by keeping all the updates installed. There are no guarantees though.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint doesn't release betas. It releases a release candidate--meaning it's passed the Linux Mint testing team without finding blocking issues. The blog post announcing the RC will share any minor issues that are present and workarounds.

Afterwards, keep an eye on the blog. The final release announcement will, as always, contain upgrade instructions for users on previous releases of Linux Mint and for users on the RC of this release. See for example the heading "Upgrade instructions" in on this final release announcement for Linux Mint 15: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2366

If anything special needs to be done for RC users, it will be noted there.
junkman8650

Post by junkman8650 »

I have been ruining the RC for about 24 hours now on native hardware. And have found no major problems it seems to be very stable.

Has anyone had any problems?
Last edited by junkman8650 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”