Wayland doubt

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Wayland doubt

Post by anandrkris » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:45 am

Apologies, if this is answered elsewhere. I am aware Clem has clarified his position that Mint is not in game of picking winners in the Wayland vs Mir debate and will evaluate when both of them present themselves as viable options.

My question is since GNOME is already working on Wayland support, porting those libraries (mutter, etc) to Cinnamon or MATE (which are forked from GNOME) should not be a per se huge load of work and could be achieved relatively easily than working on it independently? Am i right ?

At least, Cinnamon compared to MATE is based on newer version of GNOME, so should not pose any major constraints? Please enlighten. :D
Cheers,
If there is a drive, there will be a path

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Wayland doubt

Post by xenopeek » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:02 am

Cinnamon was forked from Gnome Shell late 2011, with a lot of heavy development having been done on Cinnamon and Gnome Shell since. I'd imagine it's not that trivial to merge changes from Gnome Shell back into Cinnamon, but I'm not a Cinnamon developer :) Wayland can also run X clients, so there's no real hurry and there are more important things to focus on for the team (like how to handle non-LTS releases, with Ubuntu having cut support period for those in half).

anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by anandrkris » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:56 am

xenopeek wrote:Cinnamon was forked from Gnome Shell late 2011, with a lot of heavy development having been done on Cinnamon and Gnome Shell since. I'd imagine it's not that trivial to merge changes from Gnome Shell back into Cinnamon, but I'm not a Cinnamon developer :) Wayland can also run X clients, so there's no real hurry and there are more important things to focus on for the team (like how to handle non-LTS releases, with Ubuntu having cut support period for those in half).
Thanks for the reply. I too dint imagine it to be trivial either but thought there could be lot that could be perhaps reused given the similarities.
Agree, on other points. This isn't a priority. Along with it, also active way of intimating /handling kernel security patches which is creating unnecessary furore.
Cheers,

dee.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dee. » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:01 am

I think it's starting to look like it's going to be harder and harder to seriously base a distro on Ubuntu in the future. I know Clem says he thinks it's fine to base on it, but... with Ubuntu going Mir, if Mint wants to use X or Wayland instead, it's likely to present a whole new batch of problems. We'll have to see how long it's going to be viable to base on Ubuntu...

Personally, I think if Mint could extract & fork ppa support from Ubuntu, I'd be happy, there'd be nothing else I'd miss from the Ubuntu base.

On topic, I'd be glad to see Mint going for Wayland support. It's the way of the future, and there's so many advantages to be gained - no more dealing with inadequacies of X, no more flickering when scrolling browser windows, no more tearing, no more lagging when resizing windows... very real user-faced benefits.

IIRC, hadn't MATE already started planning for Wayland support implementation? I think I saw a video/presentation of it some time ago... so it might ironically be that MATE would get Wayland support faster than Cinnamon...

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:43 am

dee. wrote:but... with Ubuntu going Mir, if Mint wants to use X or Wayland instead, it's likely to present a whole new batch of problems. We'll have to see how long it's going to be viable to base on Ubuntu...
I don't foresee this as a blocking issue. Both Kubuntu and Lubuntu have committed themselves to Wayland instead of Mir. As more distributions that use the Ubuntu package base jump on the Wayland wagon, surely developers, maintainers, and testers can be found to package Wayland for Ubuntu.

Anyway, I don't think Wayland vs Mir vs X.org discussion is on the table for Linux Mint till development cycle of Linux Mint 18 (H2 2014).

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by clfarron4 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:49 am

The MATE developers already have adding support for wayland on their Roadmap for MATE 1.8.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:07 pm

Ah, is that why MATE 1.8 wasn't ready to be included with Linux Mint 16 as planned :)

anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by anandrkris » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:14 pm

clfarron4 wrote:The MATE developers already have adding support for wayland on their Roadmap for MATE 1.8.
[url]http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQzMTU[/url] How did I miss this on phoronix...
Cheers,

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by clfarron4 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:54 pm

I only knew about the Wayland goal by reading the actual roadmap out of boredom: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/roadmap#release_18
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”