Ubuntu's legal department asking Mint to pay Ubuntu Tax

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chris2kari

Ubuntu's legal department asking Mint to pay Ubuntu Tax

Post by chris2kari »

Source : http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20131209#qa

In the article in Mint it is claimed that Clem has been asked by Ubuntu to start paying for access to the Ubuntu repositories.
Clem claims he has been asked by Canonical's legal department to license the binary packages used by Ubuntu. To me this is a scary thought. Ubuntu is a base distribution for many projects, some of them (such as Mint and Kubuntu) are quite successful. Clem's statement makes me wonder if Canonical has approached other open source projects about licensing the right to access Ubuntu's package repositories. If so, what might follow? Would derivative distributions need to pay to use Canonical's packages? How would Canonical enforce such a policy, with lawyers, by blocking access to the repositories if a user isn't using Genuine Ubuntu? Canonical would certainly have the right to restrict access to its packages, they are on Canonical's servers after all. However, most Linux distributions are quite open about allowing anyone to access their software repositories and I wonder if Canonical might be acting in a short-sighted manner if they are trying to license access.

With these thoughts in mind I contacted Canonical and asked if they could shed any light on the issue. At the time of writing I have not received a reply. An e-mail to the Linux Mint project asking for details yielded much better results. Clement Lefebvre responded the following day and, while he wasn't able to go into specific details as talks with Canonical are still on-going, he was able to share a few pieces of information. When asked if Canonical was hoping to collect a fee for using their binary packages, Clem responded, "Money isn't a primary concern. Although the original fee was in the hundreds of thousands pounds, it was easily reduced to a single digit figure. The licensing aims at restricting what Mint can and cannot do, mostly in relation to the OEM market, to prevent Mint from competing with Canonical in front of the same commercial partners."

Clem went on to indicate Canonical has not offered any threats nor discussed enforcing any licensing terms. When I asked what Mint's plans were concerning the licensing deal Clem answered, "We don't think the claim is valid (i.e. that you can copyright the compilation of source into a binary, which is a deterministic process). With that said, Ubuntu is one of Mint's major components and it adds value to our project. If we're able to please Canonical without harming Linux Mint, then we're interested in looking into it. As negative as this may sound, this is neither urgent nor conflictual. It's a rare occasion for Canonical and Linux Mint to talk with one another and although there are disagreements on the validity of the claim, things have been going quite well between the two distributions and both projects are looking for a solution that pleases all parties.
I'm very conflicted by this.
First reaction : Anger. How dare Canonical do this when they ride on the coat tails of the Debian project? Hypocrites!
Second reaction : Resignation. This has been coming for a long time..

Clearly Mint cannot continue to be based on Ubuntu long term.
So my question is what contingency plans are in place by Clem?

Chris
nomko

Re: Ubuntu's legal department asking Mint to pay Ubuntu Tax

Post by nomko »

There was already a topic about it: http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=152450&start=40. Wisely, the admin's/mod's decided to close the thread as it was getting out of hand. There's no reason to restart the same discussing here as this will be closed too.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it's something of a 'non-issue'
- Mint Admin has the situation under control ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
chris2kari

Post by chris2kari »

nomko wrote:There was already a topic about it: http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=152450&start=40. Wisely, the admin's/mod's decided to close the thread as it was getting out of hand. There's no reason to restart the same discussing here as this will be closed too.
I was merely asking for a response from somebody representing Linux Mint as to what contingency plans are in place.
The response is to silence me?
Okay then, good bye.

Chris
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux users seems to enjoy a good controversy and conflict between projects, but neither is the case here. While frequent readers of Distrowatch will have come to respect their style of writing, in this case their story is unfortunately hearsay and conjecture. It's non-news and not something you need to be worried or concerned about, despite how the Distrowatch story makes it look.

Your quote already includes the most important tidbit to take away from this, namely that this is being handled amicably by both projects:
[T]his is neither urgent nor conflictual [...] and although there are disagreements on the validity of the claim, things have been going quite well between the two distributions and both projects are looking for a solution that pleases all parties.
Let's trust in Clem to handle this please. If there is something actual to report, Clem will do so. Until then, let's not speculate.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”