My Wife Is Running Mint Now!!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

My Wife Is Running Mint Now!!

Post by InkKnife » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:22 pm

I got my wife a used PC off Craig's list to replace her scary old XP box and I put Mint Cinnamon edition on it for her. I know her habits so I made sure the right applications were installed and set up her quick launch and favourites. I also found some themes to make it beautiful for her.
Once I got her new PC set-up I gave her a 5 minute walk thru of her new system and handed it over to her. That was last Saturday.
I am delighted to report she is loving Mint. She spends most of her time in Firefox so that was no change at all and her school site works great which was my only real concern. She has already done some homework on Libre Office and she finds that to be perfectly fine.
She has only had to ask me a couple of small questions and that was on the first day, since then she has been totally independent!
I am happy to be able to say my house is now 100% Mint 8)
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: My Wife Is Running Mint Now!!

Post by xenopeek » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:17 am

Awesome! Well done :) Goes a long way to validate what often is said, that average Windows users would be perfectly at home on Linux except that Windows comes preloaded on their computer and Linux they need to install themselves. Just like Android or iOS on your mobile, it's "just" another operating system and not that scary.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:26 am

My wife has been running Mint 9 - ever since that came out :)
- will it ever get upgraded? - "don't mess with my PC"

It's been all over NZ as well - the Kiwi's have lots of wifi connections :D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:15 pm

My wife and 17 year old daughter are both running Linux Mint. My daughter has a windoze laptop that has gotten malware slimed to the point of not booting on an number of occasions... just before her last sliming, I offered to put mint on her laptop in a dual boot configuration and she declined my offer... a week later she got slimeed again... I restored her HD image and updated her windoze... and we had a conversation about malware, windoze, linux, and the universe... a few days later, she asked me to set up her laptop to dual boot - I did and she took to Mint like a duck to water! She now runs Mint (9 - Isadora) almost exclusively and loves it... She only boots windoze if she needs to run a windoze-only application which fortunately is not very often... My wife, having had her own malware problems under Win7 and having watched our daughter run Mint without any problems asked me to set up her laptop to dual boot Mint & Win7... I did and everything works perfectly under Mint 13 (LM13C64)... She now runs Mint almost exclusively (same as our daughter) and loves it.

Our daughter is a high school senior and will be off to college next fall... I plan on sending her to college with a Linux Mint 17 only laptop. I plan on letting her install the OS herself (with me lending some occasional advice as needed)... she will be the administrator on her computer... should be interesting...

<to be continued> :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:12 pm

LM 9, come on guys 13 at the very least :D
Wifey been on mint ever since she got her ebay special, years ago. She has never come into contact with the MS clown OS.
Core i7 Linux Mint 19.2/Windows 10

RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RacerBG » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:52 pm

As my "walk back in time" shows even Celena is perfectly usable nowadays. :wink: Why not use Isadora?

And by the way when I installed Windows 7 or Im forced to use it on my buddy's laptop to solve a few problems - Im feeling in a foreign land already. Linux is my home! No matter which distro (I want GUI of course).
Proud of Linux Mint!

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:14 pm

I leapt the last hurdle. All was well until I installed Netflix Desktop. It would launch but then it would crash out, ugh! But my Google-fu was strong and I quickly found out the solution and applied it.
The problem is that Mint16/64 does not contain multiarch which is a a big collection of 32bit libs so 32bit apps can run on a 64bit system.
For the curious the solution is found in this thread here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=150712
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:53 am

InkKnife wrote:The problem is that Mint16/64 does not contain multiarch which is a a big collection of 32bit libs so 32bit apps can run on a 64bit system.
That's not true, the package is called "ia32-libs" and is in Linux Mint 16 (it just wasn't in the RC and isn't available in Ubuntu 13.10, but Clem added it to Linux Mint 16).

Anyway, congratulations on getting things sorted :)

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:47 am

I have the Mrs. on LMDE just like me and she really likes it. Firefox, Libre Office, suit her fine, and Cinnamon is just like Windows 7 DE to her. :)

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:36 am

This is all really good to see.

My wife has been running XP for a long time now, but even then she is constantly asking me "how can I" do this or that, so I'm worried she will be doing even more of that with Mint. But, maybe not.

And now, my mother-in-laws XP computer has become virus filled and stopped working, so I have to decide whether to move here to Mint or something else. She lives 3 or 4 miles from us, so it's not very convenient to go over to her place to help here out of the jams she's always getting into (even with Windows). She is totally a "user", and knows nothing about how a computer works or what an OS is, doesn't even know what an application or file manager is. Anyway, I'll stop rambling on and just say I've got to decide how to set her up.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”