What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
GLGamer
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Post by GLGamer »

Well, I've got a bit of time while I extract some files from a back up, so I figure, "why not post in here?" Note to self, do not go making a giant single backup file when multiple, organized, split up .tar.gz files would be better and not have you waiting all day for certain files to get "in line" that you need :P Lesson learned! (May post about why I'm doing that later!)

Anyway, Linux Mint. I guess I could just easily say that it was the first thing that I came across and thought of, or remembered trying once a few years ago and had some liking for it, despite being so used to Windows for so long. I'm pretty sure it was Mint I had tried before, a couple years back, at the suggestion of a family member, alongside Ubuntu and maybe one or two others I don't remember at all really. As for the motivation, back then, it was due to a huge uncertainty of where Windows 8 was going at the time, much like this year where I've felt uncomfortable about a number of things with Windows 10. I remember being confused at the time of how to go about getting software installed, or trying to run a game that supposedly did run on Linux, but I couldn't figure it out. Plus trying to see how files saved/where they saved, with me not quite understanding that wasn't possible with the live build I had at the time on the little usb drive. Also, these days I'm just not as much into a lot of Windows only games it seems, instead favoring the old school or retro, or odd indie game here or there... Just stuff I find fun, and not overly competitive or frustrating. Ask me if I'd give up my first person shooter games several years back, and I'd stare at you aghast. Now, it doesn't seem like a big deal at all since they seemed to be a source of frustration and irritation for me.

As for this year, I actually got around to installing it.. first, with a dual boot for a while now. That was with Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca Cinnamon, 64-bit. The first month or so I learned quick about what to do, and what *not* to do, and sometimes forgetting the important little lessons I learned :P. Yet I find it fascinating that I didn't get overly frustrated with the situation when something went "majorly wrong". I either tried to lurk around and look for solutions, or ended up backing up my data and reinstalling... and reinstalling... and reinstalling :P You get the idea.

As for why not any other OS? I had seen and tried Ubuntu a little bit, but.. it doesn't seem to mesh as well with me I feel from what I remember, and from what I tried not too long ago. I like Mint better for it's looks, way it works, and everything. Windows... I don't know how to explain it, other than it's been starting to feel like as a Windows user, we've been getting less customization ability and choices, having to do more third party programs to do simple silly things like customize a task bar more for it's simple icon, or not being able to easily full out make your own color and sound theme without a lot of poking around, and even then I feel it was limited. I think I had gotten into a rut, just using it for games, and barely even creating stuff anymore, which kind of stunk for me since I love to draw, write (I actually enjoy typing for the sake of typing), and just make things. Macs and their OS... felt too foreign to me every time I tried, or frustrating, but I think that may have been partially due to "Windows-itis", or rather, expecting things to work more like Windows as if it were the proper way or something, even if I didn't say it outloud.

Something else I like about Linux I think, and Mint... It's been making me use my brain more, since I think I feel like I was stagnating. I was learning new things! New ways to do things, how to use the terminal more and more (I spent over a half hour to an hour today just practicing some basic commands and reorganizing a few files :P and oddly had fun doing it). I ran into a problem? Sure, get frustrated, but overcome it and figure it out! Look it up on the 'net, read, learn, be stubborn and try to fix it, and if all else does fail and you finally lose enough patience, you can always reinstall (like for the thousandth time!), and restore your backup files!

So basically I guess, I switched to Linux Mint because I wanted to do and learn something different. Have something different, try something new. Experience something fresh, have that "thrill" of not having a clue of what I'm doing, and figuring it out the best I can. Tinker, mess up, start over, learn from the experience... and nowadays, if I run into a problem, don't be *too* pig-headed as to be too timid to ask for help on a forum or a chat room with an issue.
Useful sys info for troubleshooting: OS: Mint 17.2 Rafaela Cinnamon 64-bit, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 810, Video: Nvidia GTX 750 Ti, RAM: 16 GB

RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RacerBG »

GLGamer wrote:Something else I like about Linux I think, and Mint... It's been making me use my brain more, since I think I feel like I was stagnating. I was learning new things! New ways to do things, how to use the terminal more and more (I spent over a half hour to an hour today just practicing some basic commands and reorganizing a few files :P and oddly had fun doing it). I ran into a problem? Sure, get frustrated, but overcome it and figure it out! Look it up on the 'net, read, learn, be stubborn and try to fix it, and if all else does fail and you finally lose enough patience, you can always reinstall (like for the thousandth time!), and restore your backup files!
How familiar this sounds... :)
Proud of Linux Mint!

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I remember being confused at the time of how to go about getting software installed, or trying to run a game that supposedly did run on Linux, but I couldn't figure it out. Plus trying to see how files saved/where they saved, with me not quite understanding that wasn't possible with the live build I had at the time on the little usb drive.
chuckle, :) one reason I always use Unetbootin and add a persistence partition on USB drives I give people. Simple to do. I first put a FAT16 at 16MB in size for some BIOS which refuse to boot if a hybrid ISO is the boot in the first partition, or because it's a "cdrom" system and the BIOS won't recognize it as bootable. I had noticed some with a FAT partition and the system in the second partition booted on those BIOS which failed to boot if it was on the first partition. So, small FAT16 to move past that.

Next is the FAT32 for the system, and created just a bit larger than needed to save space for persistence. Unetbootin installs this with a casper-rw file for persistence.

Last is creating the third partition and making it ext4 format. Name it casper-rw and delete the file by same name in the second partition. Now all file saves and program additions have plenty of room. It's also runs much faster than doing a full installation on a USB flashdrive, since less read size from slow USB flash needed.
Mint set up using 3 partitions and persistance on a partition instead of a file. This bypasses the 4GB file size restriction previously used for persistence on FAT32.
Mint set up using 3 partitions and persistance on a partition instead of a file. This bypasses the 4GB file size restriction previously used for persistence on FAT32.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

ludwig113
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ludwig113 »

i've been a windows user all my life and dabbled with mint about 3 years ago, but i've finally changed to mint after trying win 10 and it screwed up my machine! everything i now use is available in some shape or form via linux, so i see no reason not to change.....

happy days!

Pebble
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pebble »

Had a Windows 8.1 lappy and upgraded to W10, Hated the new start menu. When i reinstalled 8.1 and saw the 'spying' options and switched to Linux.
When MS dropped support for W7, My desktop will be Linux too.

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

Edward Snowden recommended linux. :lol:

I had used it school a lot, but i had never really embraced it until this year.
Donate to your favourite distros!

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Chiefahol wrote:Edward Snowden recommended linux. :lol:
Funny you say that. I'm actually mixed in my feelings about him. On one hand, I'm glad to know some of the stuff he released. On the other hand, I unapologetically consider him a traitor.
Needless to say, his using Linux had no effect on me. Although it is kind of cool to be running TAILS and know that he used it...
(Sorry, I'll quit the thread hijack now)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

ras47
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ras47 »

I'm a life-long Mac user, and I must confess that OSX is still my primary operating system. But I'm delving hard into Linux Mint. It seems like every year and a half I get the urge to do something "fringe." Experienced Linux users will chafe at my calling Linux "fringe" but that's the way most Windows and Mac users see it. I had played around with Yellowdog Linux on a PPC PowerBook many years ago and quickly got tired of the learning curve and difficulty doing things that were only a click or two away in OSX and OS9. Fast forward ten years...

The ability to run Linux on a live USB flash drive was an inducement to see how far the platform has come in those years since I last tried it. It was a "no-brainer" to give it a shot on a flash drive - nothing to lose. So I created a bootable USB stick and fired it up. Considering the security problems we see reported daily, there are plenty of good reasons to take another look at Linux. Revelations about Windows 10 spying on users like nobody thought possible is disturbing. And now there is discussion about how turning off the spying aspects of Windows 10 might not really stop them! Mac OSX, once thought immune to viruses, has seen some ugly breeches and some dangerous malware make the rounds recently.

The learning curve for Linux has flattened out considerably in the last five years, especially with distros like Ubuntu and Mint. Plus I'm ready to actually spend some time digging in. I love the simplicity and elegance of Linux - especially Mint. It took me a couple days of running it on a flash drive to decide to get a dedicated laptop for Linux Mint. I still have Windows 10 installed on my Yoga 3 Pro but that probably won't last long. I'll wipe windows off the Y3P and go 100% Linux Mint.
Mint 17.3 (Cinnamon), Yoga3Pro | 8GB | 256GB | CoreM 5Y71@1.2GHz

peps9a
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peps9a »

I was looking for an alternative to Windows 10 and found it in Mint I downloaded it late one night from a mirror in Hawaii and burned it to DVD at first I ran it only on my Toshiba laptop
to get a feel for it but after a weeks of using it I like it so much I'm now running it on my desktop PC as well.

Everything works Webcam, Scanner, Printer, Wireless :)

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

Fred Barclay wrote:
Chiefahol wrote:On the other hand, I unapologetically consider him a traitor.
Traitor to his government, not his people. :wink:

But yes let's not thread hijack... :mrgreen: (Continued in PM.)

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

ras47 wrote:Considering the security problems we see reported daily, there are plenty of good reasons to take another look at Linux. Revelations about Windows 10 spying on users like nobody thought possible is disturbing. And now there is discussion about how turning off the spying aspects of Windows 10 might not really stop them! Mac OSX, once thought immune to viruses, has seen some ugly breeches and some dangerous malware make the rounds recently.
It has become complicated to catch intruders now with the advent of Windows 10. Although I upgraded (from Windows 7), I rarely boot from it. The start menu has also become complex and it's clear it's made for tablet users or with touch screen monitors. This at a time when I only need a simplified XP-like desktop environment. So there's really no need for me to continue riding the Windows train. Linux users should just hope that the security Linux offers would get maintained, which is one of the main reasons why they're switching to Linux.

Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1982 »

I had windows 8.1 on my laptop. But i found it messy, slow and ugly. Linux Mint was so easy to use, fast and nice that i have wipe my Windows partition, when i have noticed that i never boot on windows. The spyware Windows 10 didn't convince me to back to microsoft :lol:

ras47
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ras47 »

Security has been on my mind lately more than ever. Too many high-profile breeches these last couple years, and the one thing that's come out of it is the knowledge that nobody is immune. Linux's adherence to the "KISS" principal (Keep It Simple Stupid) makes sense these days more than ever. Everything done deliberately, step by step.
Mint 17.3 (Cinnamon), Yoga3Pro | 8GB | 256GB | CoreM 5Y71@1.2GHz

me76
Level 1
Level 1

Post by me76 »

I'm using Xfce. What made me switch? Microsoft making Windows 10 partly could based, selling ad ons, putting in ads for free services and going through my files. I knew it was only a matter of time before I had to upgrade to Windows 10. That is MS's plan everyone on Windows 10. So I looked for other alternatives and ended up here.

idle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by idle »

What made me switch to Linux Mint? The babes, I'm only here for the babes :lol:

Like many I was a Windows user forever. 8.1 was my current set up and though I liked Win7 more, Win8 was pretty good once tweaked and that god awful start screen replaced.

Then Win10 showed up and it was time to upgrade to the latest and greatest. A forum I frequent started up a new section on Win10 with people signing up to test out Win10 and they started posting their opinions. This was early days and it was buggy so I didn't take much stock of the criticism.

Then the official release came out, and besides the usual fanboys who'd praise it even if it jumped out their monitor and slapped them in the face, there were early signs things were not perfect in paradise. Then the EULA came out and all the business of "Windows 10 spying" and I started having doubts.

In amongst the absolute flame wars between those praising Win10 and those who weren't praising it, someone made the sarcastic remark "If you don't like Windows 10 go use Linux"

This was the comment that put the idea in my head about Linux. Before that, I kind of felt a bit trapped. I mean if I wasn't going to upgrade to Win10 what were my options, stick with Win8 forever? It was a horrible feeling.

I'll be the first to admit I'm an online junkie. I don't watch TV, its all junk. Yes you heard me correctly you Game Of Thrones losers :wink: I pretty much spend all of my free time online, and if I do watch anything it'll be on my computer, not the TV.

Others may disagree, but what Microsoft have done is pretty important to me considering how much time I invest at my PC and online. This is why is was such a horrible feeling. It felt like Microsoft had forced a change upon me I wasn't happy with, and if I wanted to continue what I love, I had to accept their terms or give it all away.

So when someone sarcastically suggested not installing Win10 and piss off to Linux, instead of being insulted, I saw light at the end of the tunnel.

I started searching Linux and came across an article on ZDNet ​"Sick of Windows spying on you? Go Linux" and after reading that I made up my mind to give Linux Mint a try from a USB. Two days later Mint was fully installed, my Windows 8 magically nuked itself, and I've not looked back.

Its not 100% all good news, as my Logitech G400s mouse has lost its most important function - Close Application Button, which I absolutely miss so much. And I've been busting a nut over trying to get TrackMania2 Stadium installed, gaming withdrawals something terrible :cry:

But its very early days, and I've only started using Linux. So I have to be realistic and not expect to get everything I want like some spoilt brat, but be patient and learn.

I'm so grateful there are alternatives, and thank you for Linux Mint. :)

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

And thank Mozilla (Firefox) and Google (Chrome). If not them, I'm afraid ...
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot »

i forgot to mention, that i switched 100% dedicated to linux distros in december 2010,
since my windows 7 laptop game me a random blue screen, i was gentle, careful and paranoid the way i used my w7 laptop.
i was dual-booting windows 7 and ubuntu on a dell inspiron 15 1545. It deserved to be wiped and be replaced with 100% ubuntu 10.04,

enough is enough time for a real operating system!!! and i like the idea of making my own linux distro from scratch!!!
dont you want to know exactly whats going on in your box? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i switched to mint because of mate, im addicted to gnome 2. i hope mate never changes, for atleast 50 years, or better until im dead...

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Are you afraid that in KDE appears Kortana in near future :mrgreen:
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

reddot wrote:i switched to mint because of mate, im addicted to gnome 2. i hope mate never changes, for atleast 50 years, or better until im dead...
:lol:

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I quickly remembered why I switched the other day when I tried to install Windows 7 on a computer to try and upgrade it to Windows 10. The install took forever and it refused to activate... I used the key code from a fried laptop that will never run again, it's spare parts now. The hardware is completely different so of course it will not activate. This means calling Microsoft and talking to someone from India....

I could do it and get it activated even though it technically is breaking the EULA, they have let me slide on this before. It just is not worth the trouble though. I just wanted Windows 10 because I might be able to get some schooling through BVR to get a better job. I will instead just wait and see because I can get an OEM copy for next to nothing from the school.

I can understand Microsoft making a profit, I really can. The thing that bothers me is that if I were to pay for their operating system I am too limited as to what I can do with my purchase. Years ago I used to change hardware fairly often and ended up calling Microsoft a lot to reactivate Windows. This was why I moved to Linux!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”