What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Post by rgand »

CoffeeFiend wrote:Very true. I have found Mint to be extremely user-friendly and will have no issues setting up a laptop with Mint in the near future.
I only have one laptop without enough oomph to run Cinnamon. For that, there is always Mate, which works fine on older machines.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.
wizzybang

Post by wizzybang »

A bit random really why I moved over to mint.

Was made redundant so gave laptop back to work a few weeks ago, have fairly old Lenovo R500, 3gb RAM, Dual Core P8400. Vista ran like a dog and also unsupported, which decided to give up on me. Had no media to re-install and would have been an idiot to do so with it unsupported so decided to give Mint a try and so glad I did. I wish I'd given it a try sooner.

AND, I have now found a place where I can finally been use avatar with a Full English Breakfast without the devils food that is mushrooms on and not be judged, my life is now complete :D
CoffeeFiend

Post by CoffeeFiend »

I am really starting to love my Mint bootable USB! I'm using it right now, and I just went to Amazon.com, and wouldn't you know it, for the first time EVER since I first started using Amazon many moons ago, I get a screen prompting me to enter in a captcha... you know, just because they wanted to make sure I wasn't a bot. :lol:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

wizzybang wrote: AND, I have now found a place where I can finally been use avatar with a Full English Breakfast without the devils food that is mushrooms on and not be judged, my life is now complete :D
I'll take the mushrooms if you'll keep the sausage as far away from my plate as humanly possible. :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
lisabonne citadel

Post by lisabonne citadel »

I simply hate configurations imposed by companies that insist that when buying their software they have to obey criteria that are only advantageous for these companies. The RPC project is an authentic hoax as the existing purpose may differ from the official one represented by the company. IF THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF NOT WANTING RPC ON WINDOWS? DO NOT.
I only have 2 alternatives ... Pay a hardware that comes included a proprietary software with possibility of root or then make a donation to linux mint and enjoy the freedom that only the gnu / linux platform offers.
A huge effort to fulfill each one's dream.
Personal taste and a strong set of private and secure settings.
rakko

Post by rakko »

I haven't YET! I have the disc. (Linux Mint 10, Cinnamon). It has been sitting on my bookshelf for about a year. I got it because Windows 7 is reaching EOL and Microsoft has left PC users in the lurch again, preferring to push windows 8 and 10, (which cater to touch screens, tablet, phone and laptop users with NO regard for loyal PC users). Also, I have noticed a degeneration of the browsers. Firefox, Google and maybe some others. Security features that were desirable are now gone. Is there a move to remove web security safeguards? It is time to switch but I think I'll order a newer distribution. ALSO, how do I load from disc?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

rakko wrote: It is time to switch but I think I'll order a newer distribution. ALSO, how do I load from disc?
Yes, you should get a newer copy of Mint. We're now on 18.3 and 10 has been out of support for years. With regards to loading from disk, please read the documentation; you can find that in the same place where you can download your shiny new version of Mint which is here. https://linuxmint.com/download.php
No need to buy or order anything. You can do this yourself. :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I got it because Windows 7 is reaching EOL and Microsoft has left PC users in the lurch again, preferring to push windows 8 and 10.
I think I'll order a newer distribution. ALSO, how do I load from disc?
It's even worse than that with windows 10 now. They can share out thier updates from your computer directly to others, burning up your bandwidth and slowing your computer down while you are using, or even delaying it's shutdown till someone downloading from it finishes their update from YOUR computer. I know that's eventually going to have a bad ending when it's hacked. There is an option in 10 to turn off "sharing updates" but then you find that even YOU can't refuse updates from window 10, unless you set it to "metered" connection. I've seen satellite users with limited monthly bandwidth having it all gone mid month, due to the "update sharing" because they didn't know about setting "metered" to stop it. At least metered will let you keep updates on it from coming in till you give the update permission to install.

If you want to buy a disc, can get one for $6 at http://osdisc.com
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
RowanRSA

Post by RowanRSA »

Hey guys.

I have to say I'm a windows xp generation guy myself. When xp started to die out I went out looking for something else in the Linux word and jumped from distro to distro and so discovered Mint, I left a few times to go back to windows 7 and so on but always find myself coming back. I installed mint again today and I love it, I love everything about it, all the small detail such as the signal strength on the wifi indicator that does not seem to be there on Ubuntu and the way how you can customize your whole desktop.

I would like to learn more and know how to use the terminal. if anyone is out there who is willing to take a newbie under his or her wing please give me a shout.

Rowan Nash.... SOUTH-AFRICA
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

https://diyhacking.com/linux-commands-for-beginners/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3138096 ... -know.html

More in google

One of my favorites is to check on a program, installed or not, get information quickly about it too.

Code: Select all

aptitude show "command"
example:

Code: Select all

aptitude show synaptic
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
RowanRSA

Post by RowanRSA »

wizzybang wrote:A bit random really why I moved over to mint.

Was made redundant so gave laptop back to work a few weeks ago, have fairly old Lenovo R500, 3gb RAM, Dual Core P8400. Vista ran like a dog and also unsupported, which decided to give up on me. Had no media to re-install and would have been an idiot to do so with it unsupported so decided to give Mint a try and so glad I did. I wish I'd given it a try sooner.

AND, I have now found a place where I can finally been use avatar with a Full English Breakfast without the devils food that is mushrooms on and not be judged, my life is now complete :D

LOL
watermint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by watermint »

sphyrth wrote:
MintBean wrote:Ubuntu 17.10 onwards WILL use Gnome Shell as the default GUI.
Yeah, right! :lol:

Canonical's erratic decision-making concerning the shell (Gnome-->Unity-->Gnome) gives me very little basis to believe it.
Regardless, I like how Mint looks and works better. But my mistake.
(also yeah what the heck are they doing over there)
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

RowanRSA wrote:
wizzybang wrote:I have now found a place where I can finally been use avatar with a Full English Breakfast without the devils food that is mushrooms on and not be judged, my life is now complete :D
LOL
Mushrooms I quite like (couldn't stand them as a kid due to the texture) but it's the other one I am not keen on .. Black Pudding .. which I know many including myself tend to call "Blood Sausage". Even the cats aren't keen, but they do love the bacon rinds I bring back from the café!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Bingo0600
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bingo0600 »

Canonical switching to Unity :evil:

Once on Mint 13 i never looked back ..

The only thing that i still miss on Mint is the "Easy release/dist upgrade" present @Ubuntu.

I'm still on 17.3 Rosa , due to 2 (3) things.

1: When i tried 18 , it took "forever" to boot up - It seemed to "hang" for looooong time waiting to mount my NFS drives ,
eventually timing out and continue booting.

2: It seems that i have to do a 17.3to 18 upgrade , and then later 18.x upgrade - Makes me a bit uncomfortable.

3/(2.a) : I do have a separate /home , but have (some FPGA tools installed) Xilinx ISE & Altera Quartus ,
and they took quite some fiddling to get to work correct. Would like not to reinstall them if possible.

Else .... Thanx for a great OS

/Bingo
tekops

Post by tekops »

I have been working with computers since the first micro (DEC PDP-8/s). I have used CP/M and most UNIX/*NIX-like operating systems my whole career. Have worked with most Windows distros as well. I have even worked with most Mac distros going back to MACOS-5.5. In fact, I still have a Macintosh running SYSTEM 7!!! Anyway-- of all the Linux distros I have tried over the last 2 decades, mint has been by far the most polished, most reliable, most convenient and most compatible. It completely gave up windows and only use MacOSX on my laptop when traveling. I am just today connecting an old MicroSolutions Backpack drive to it to see if I can read the optical data that was put on it 25 years ago. I had to buy a parallel port and plug it in. Restarted computer, mint recognized it. Bam.

I'm here today trying to understand how to upgrade from v17.2 to the current 18.3 distro.

Cheers.
David
Ash112

Post by Ash112 »

I bought a used gaming pc from our local small business and it came with a windows upgrade cd. I was assuming that it was an actual install cd . Well my pc gets a virus and after deleting the virus it deleted an important windows file. So I reinstall windows from my cd only to discover I don't have and actual install disc.Now I was left with the, buy new windows install disc. or choose a Linux operating system.
I have been considering Linux for years now.I researched Ubuntu and thought it looked promising,I also have a Mepis live cd.They still didn't seem like they would be right for me. I have only used windows until now.I then stumbled on MINT and the more I learned about MINT the more I loved it.Being a window user, MINT actually kept me in my comfort zone and made switching over smooth and comfortable. I also feel like I learned more about Linux in the last 30 days than I have ever learned about windows in the last 30 years.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I love the full English breakfast, just leave off the eggs (allergies), add more meat. And lots of strong tea. MInt just runs so well on this HP laptop, just amazing.

wizzybang wrote:A bit random really why I moved over to mint.

rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

I came from windows vista era, as my hate, yes HATE for windows, and Bill grew.
reasons in descending order;
1, buy a windows computer never get a disk, how cheap is that? NO ONE wants to reinstall OEM bloatware from a recovery partition, if it's even an option (HDs do fail)
2, Bill won't let you install a newer version of IE, control freek he is.
3, Disk space HOG. literally no end to updates.
4, OS overrides user preferences. What's the point of giving user a choice, if after reboot defaults back to "ON"
5, freezes, quite a few times I've had to shut down windows via the power button.
6, EULAs , ridiculously long
7, vowed I NEVER use windows 8, and I kept my promise.

Used mint 9 for years, mint 13, and 17 for awhile, and now mint 18.0 for over a year.
the pluses,
1, I got the disk
2, root has never got over 10GB (with quite a bit of extra software)
3, not once in 10+ years had a frozen computer.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

As I recall, you can have backup media if you make it yourself from the restore partition on the OEM computers. I distinctly remember doing it for a Vista computer in past and it took 16 CD's at that time, so probably could do onto 4 DVD's.
Rayland-BH

Post by Rayland-BH »

I switched to Linux because of Win 8/10. My mom bought a cheap HP laptop with Win 8 on it which she hated, and I couldn't phone troubleshoot it for her (couldn't navigate it despite being a Windows user since Win 3.11). Then, a couple years later, it ninja-upgraded itself to Win 10, and essentially became a brick (20+ min to boot). That was the last straw!

I had been experimenting with Linux already because I didn't want to upgrade to 10 myself either, and Mint appeared to be a great distro for a Windows refugee (Spoiler: It is). After determining that it would do everything she needed, I used a Mint 18.1 live DVD to format my Mom's HD (boy, that felt good), installed it, and we all lived happily ever after.

I still run Win 7 alongside Mint 18.3 on both my tower and my laptop, but I much prefer Mint. I spread the gospel of Linux (and Mint specifically) to anyone who will listen, and I look forward to the day I can finally quit Windows for good.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”