What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
acw89
Level 2
Level 2

Re: What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Post by acw89 »

Working with the Bell System switches, I played around in Unix for years. When I heard that Linux was based on Unix it perked my interest in it.
My first Linux OS was 8.04 Ubuntu. I used it for years and I loved it UNTIL they forced that UGLY user interface (UNITY) on all users.
That is when I started looking into other Distros and saw that a lot of people like Mint and thought I would give it a try.

I have been with Linux Mint ever since. I tried Cinnamon and did not like it so went with Mate. I try to stick to the LTS
versions, but SO prefer over anything one might find in windows.

I basically did not move into Linux out of a hate for Windows, but rather because of my love for the old Unix systems. :D

The only thing I can not do in Linux is Turbo Tax. It just will not work thru Wine.
--
Purrs,

-Desert Catmom >^..^<

Linux User # 482905

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

I switched to Linux … I selected Linux Mint MATE.

My computer has an Athlon 6400 X2 4200+, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7200 GS graphics, and two 200GB HDD – high-end when I bought it 9 years ago. I got it specifically for XP and to run PhotoShop and PageMaker. Prior to that I worked under OS/2. Starting with 2.0 on a 486SX and ending up with Warp on a Pentium Pro. I used OS/2 until 2005, and I am still bitter about the opportunities IBM squandered.

I made the decision to switch to Linux after I made major repairs to my computer - the last step in the process was to reinstall XP for the first time in six years. This presented an unpleasant dilemma: continue using an unsupported XP, switch to Windows 8, or switch to Linux.

Linux was the logical first choice. It wouldn't cost anything to try. And since I would have to learn a new OS and reinstall applications regardless of which path I chose, there was no advantage to sticking with Windows and no disadvantage to trying Linux.

I am not entirely new to Linux. I've tried it off-and-on starting with Red Hat 5.0. Didn't stick. Over the years I've tried distributions from SuSE, Caldera, Corel, and Slackware. None stuck. It didn't offer anything I didn't already have with OS/2, and by the time I switched to XP the ability to run PhotoShop and PageMaker was essential.

I looked at several distributions in preparation to this switch. In addition to Linux Mint (both Cinnamon and MATE), I looked at Ubuntu, Zorin, and Slackware. I also looked at FreeBSD. I narrowed the choices to Linux Mint MATE and Zorin because they appeared to give the smoothest transition from XP.

I had three reasons for choosing Linux Mint. I was confident it would run smoothly on my 9-yo computer. It appeared to offer the things I want, need and expect. But what really determined my choice; the real reason I chose Linux Mint was … the forums.

I like the Linux Mint forums better than the other forums. I liked the way everything was designed and organized, I thought they had more to offer, and sense of community was more inviting and encouraging. Cudos to everyone working behind the scene. Impressive work. I honestly think the forums could be marketed as a 'what makes us better' feature of Linux Mint.

RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RacerBG »

BenTrabetere wrote:I had three reasons for choosing Linux Mint. I was confident it would run smoothly on my 9-yo computer. It appeared to offer the things I want, need and expect. But what really determined my choice; the real reason I chose Linux Mint was … the forums.

I like the Linux Mint forums better than the other forums. I liked the way everything was designed and organized, I thought they had more to offer, and sense of community was more inviting and encouraging. Cudos to everyone working behind the scene. Impressive work. I honestly think the forums could be marketed as a 'what makes us better' feature of Linux Mint.

Now when I'm looking at other distributions (just for fun) I was able to confirm the same statement as you. :)
Proud of Linux Mint!

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by EmpireITtech »

BenTrabetere wrote:I had three reasons for choosing Linux Mint. I was confident it would run smoothly on my 9-yo computer. It appeared to offer the things I want, need and expect. But what really determined my choice; the real reason I chose Linux Mint was … the forums. I like the Linux Mint forums better than the other forums. I liked the way everything was designed and organized, I thought they had more to offer, and sense of community was more inviting and encouraging. Cudos to everyone working behind the scene. Impressive work. I honestly think the forums could be marketed as a 'what makes us better' feature of Linux Mint.
Wow, I'm not alone hahaha. That is exactly the same reason I settled on Mint as my Linux of choice. I've tried about every Linux distro out there (literally just went to DistroWatch and ran down the list lol), but I never got the type of support and help as I have here on these boards. The Mint team should be proud of what they've accomplished with their OS, but their support and community base is unparalleled :mrgreen:
Linux: Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon 64-Bit

Box 1: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Box 2: Intel Core i3-3240 | 4gb RAM | 1tb WD 7200rpm | AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4550

Pants: 32x30

crossroads
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crossroads »

The question for me after Microsoft stop supporting XP was do I feel victimized as a consumer in being forced to buy new hardware, and software in order to remain competitive in college, which requires a heavy dependence on internet access? The short answer is ... yes. It also led me to question Microsoft's monopoly power, and restrictive agreements with PC manufactures, which seemed designed to corral me into making pre-ordained purchase decisions I did not want, nor could afford to make. Microsoft's stance that it's "tough love" negotiating practices is a moral derivative for championing free-market consumerism and innovation does not entirely ring true with me. I still view their behaviour as fundamentally geared to maximizing profits at my expense, and therefore predatory in nature (Evans, Fisher, Rubinfeld,Schmalensee, http://www.law.berkeley.edu/faculty/rub ... S_harm.pdf).

So I chose Linux Mint. Yeah for free-market consumerism! Personally, it was and remains a good choice. Total cost in hardware purchases to migrate to Linux was negligible, outside of a wireless USB network adapter which cost me $25.00. I made a donation, and plan on making more to the project, because "free" is fine, but a monetary gift for the "freedom" Linux affords me is warranted. Moreover, I am impressed by the community support, and liberal access to the expertise found in this forum.
LinuxMint 17.1 (rebecca) Lenovo X140e. AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics. 800.000 MHz.

It isn't what you know, it's what you think you know that ain't so which gets you in trouble" -- Mark Twain

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by EmpireITtech »

crossroads wrote:The question for me after Microsoft stop supporting XP was do I feel victimized as a consumer in being forced to buy new hardware, and software in order to remain competitive in college, which requires a heavy dependence on internet access? The short answer is ... yes. It also led me to question Microsoft's monopoly power, and restrictive agreements with PC manufactures, which seemed designed to corral me into making pre-ordained purchase decisions I did not want, nor could afford to make. Microsoft's stance that it's "tough love" negotiating practices is a moral derivative for championing free-market consumerism and innovation does not entirely ring true with me. I still view their behaviour as fundamentally geared to maximizing profits at my expense, and therefore predatory in nature (Evans, Fisher, Rubinfeld,Schmalensee, http://www.law.berkeley.edu/faculty/rub ... S_harm.pdf).

So I chose Linux Mint. Yeah for free-market consumerism! Personally, it was and remains a good choice. Total cost in hardware purchases to migrate to Linux was negligible, outside of a wireless USB network adapter which cost me $25.00. I made a donation, and plan on making more to the project, because "free" is fine, but a monetary gift for the "freedom" Linux affords me is warranted. Moreover, I am impressed by the community support, and liberal access to the expertise found in this forum.
Very SAT-like of you :lol:
I agree and well said though :mrgreen:
Linux: Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon 64-Bit

Box 1: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Box 2: Intel Core i3-3240 | 4gb RAM | 1tb WD 7200rpm | AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4550

Pants: 32x30

acw89
Level 2
Level 2

Post by acw89 »

-Crossroads

VERY WELL SAID. :mrgreen:

Where can one donate "to Linux Mint"? I certainly would love to support them.

On this Forum? Or is there a website.

I often use "Doantionware" as well as send some cash to developers of Add-Ons (Via Paypal) if I find an Add-On to Firefox very useful.

Its really too bad that Micro$oft did not give XP to the Open Source community to further develop. But alas knowing their nature would not expect to see
any behavior like that.

I love the community support in Linux. Reminds me of the good old days at the Bell System where when you learned Unix you got a "White Book" and the
name of someone to only go to if you REALLY needed help...

Linux .. Live Free or Die ..
:wink:
--
Purrs,

-Desert Catmom >^..^<

Linux User # 482905

crossroads
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crossroads »

- acw89
Where can one donate "to Linux Mint"? I certainly would love to support them.
http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php

Thanks, and thanks ....
LinuxMint 17.1 (rebecca) Lenovo X140e. AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics. 800.000 MHz.

It isn't what you know, it's what you think you know that ain't so which gets you in trouble" -- Mark Twain

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

My reason for leaving had nothing directly to do with money. I don't mind paying for good software. I've made donations to this one.

I do hate paying money and then getting bad software.

XP was the first microsoft product to get me riled by it's new policy of activation, and then reinforced with the genuine advantage, but considering they wanted to stop piracy I gritted my teeth and put up with it, because the software by SP2 time was working pretty well. Then came SP3 and what began activation loop hell if it needed reactivation, in which you couldn't even get back into the system to do the activation. It would say it was already activated, then when you went to it, get the other message that it needed activation, and they NEVER fixed that. Getting out of it meant boot to Safe Mode and remove a registry entry so regular activation request would work correctly again.

So, after being treated a few times like a "software pirate" because you like to change things on your hardware more often than most others, I got really tired of that.

Then Vista came along. I tried it a couple months and realized I and Windows would part ways soon as I found something I could use better. I tried a lot of different Linux distros, even Easy Peasy which was interesting, but settled at first on Kubuntu, not liking the "tiled" look of Ubuntu's Unity which for some reason made me think of windows 8 Metro version, but not as bad. Later tried Mint when I saw it was more popular on distrowatch, seeing a few youtube videos, and ended up using it more and more.

After feeling treated as pirate several times while doing activation and genuine disadvantage, when I had the retail software and also tired of remembering which Product Key went to which computer, and seeing future Windows going over the cliff in acceptability and usability, I quit using XP as my daily system almost half a year before XP support even quit. I hadn't anticipated liking Mint more than XP, but maybe knowing it was ending support soon anyway helped that along.

I don't have the big axe to grind with Microsoft like some do, but I do enjoy having parted ways with them at this point, for the most part. Wife still has W7, last child at home still uses XP in Limited User Account. I hope to change that later, but have to discover if what all she needs will run in Linux.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

acw89
Level 2
Level 2

Post by acw89 »

Thanks Crossroads,

Have donated and intend to continue.

I really like Mint and appreciate the community that bought it to the world and do no mind donating from time to time.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by acw89 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Purrs,

-Desert Catmom >^..^<

Linux User # 482905

OrangeShark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OrangeShark »

Well I grew up mostly using Windows, always hearing about Linux here and there but never bothered to actually try it out. When I was about to go to University, I decided to give Linux a try on my laptop and dual booted with Ubuntu and Windows Vista. I loved it and later joined my school's Linux User Group to learn more about Linux, which I did learn a lot about as well as many of the various different distros. Then Ubuntu came out with Unity and I was pretty horrified by that UI. So I decided to try out other distros, Linux Mint being the first one. I loved it and decided to reformat my laptop and just install Linux Mint, I was rarely booting into Windows anyways. After awhile I decided to give other Linux distros a try, but recently just came back to Linux Mint. Overall, I really enjoy using Linux, especially for programming, and Linux Mint provides just the right environment for me.

Architrave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Architrave »

I am not a guru but neither am I a nooby. I started with SuSe Linux many moons ago to shake off the thrawl of MS and then worked my way through OpenSuse, Red Hat, Fedora (because we were using RHE at work) then Ubuntu. I stayed with Ubuntu or Kubuntu for several years despite looking for a distro that was stable and required little or no tweeking (I thought I had given up hacking at a terminal with the advent of OS2 and Win95!).

I discovered Linux Mint 15 about a year ago when the latest Kubuntu broke my computers again and the response from the forum was "what do you expect? It is bleeding edge technology!". Well the one thing I didn't want was it bleeding all over my desktop and having to spends hours trawling through forums and Googling for answers to why things weren't working.

Linux Mint appeared to be everything I wanted in a distro, stability and all the apps tried, tested and working well before being released. I loaded it up on my desktop, netbook, dual boot on the wife's laptop and on a media PC that I built. Everything has been great for a year (I didn't bother to upgrade to 16) with only a minor problem of getting the wireless driver to work on my netbook.

Now I have had to upgrade to Mint 17 due to support ending on 15 and I find that immediately there are problems. I spent ages getting the wireless to work on the netbook and still have no sound out the speakers. Bluetooth doesn't work either and there doesn't seem to be any solutions to these problems on the forums or elsewhere.

If Linux Mint wants to attract people away from MS it must be a distro where everything just works "straight out of the box" (as it was before). Most people, especially those with no technical knowledge, don't want to spend hours trying to fix things, they want to plug in a Bluetooth dongle and have it immediately work with their speakers and headphones. They want to USE the computer and not have to delve into it to determine why it isn't working.

So come on Linux Mint Team, you were doing great up till now but Qiana is a massive fail in my opinion and I will be rolling back to 13 until you get it sorted.

Nilla Wafer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nilla Wafer »

Update chaos is what brought me to Mint (Xfce) from Xubuntu. The Mint updater gives me more control over updates, helps me measure the risk and thoughtfully decide what to update and what not to update. This is so different from the all-or-nothing updates I got with the rolling distros I have tried, and from the random, high-risk Ubuntu updater. Updating "the Mint way" is why I chose Mint for people I share Linux with, and since I install Mint for others, it makes better sense to use the same distro at home, so that if anyone calls for "tech support" - which thankfully hasn't happened yet- I can walk them through it step by step going right along with them on my own computer.

~nilla

Colin66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Colin66 »

I started using linux with Mandrake 7.1 (KDE desktop) from a magazine cover disk around 2001, dual booting with Win 98.
I gradually updated to Mandrake 10 and then Mandriva over the years but never went back to KDE again after the excellent version 3.5 went to the horrible version 4.
I first used Ubuntu with 5.10 then 6.06, 8.04 and 10.04 until switching to Mint 10 followed by Mint 13 and now Mint 17.
The final switch to Mint was due to a dislike of both Ubuntu's Unity and Gnome 3.
I was glad when MS ended Windows XP support. The updates, both windows and anti virus had become too frequent, too large and very time consuming. I have uninstalled the anti virus from them which slowed boot up and taken them all off the internet.
I even replaced WinXP on one with linux but kept it on the others which run some chess programs which don't work with wine.
My internet activity is all with linux now.

ameli
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ameli »

Oh, je dirais que la raison pour laquelle tout le monde a le passe-temps de tout le monde, tout le monde a le choix de tout le monde

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara »

I've used Suse, Mandrake, Fedora and, before that, a number of distros I forgot about. None of those disappointed me. When Ubuntu became popular, I switched. I saw possibilities to make people the switch from XP to this flavor of Linux. Gnome 2 wasn't slick but fast, but did what it was supposed to do.

When Unity made its first appearance, I disliked it almost as much as the Windows 8.x "Toys R Us" interface. When confronted with Unity, former Windows users panicked. Mint offered more GUI choices, some of which proved to be excellent choices if you want to see happy faces of former Windows users. Especially MATE got a warm reception. Again not slick, but fast and stable. As Cinnamon is becoming of age, I can now offer them an extra choice.

Hans
All my computers are in Mint condition.

Delta44
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Delta44 »

I've also used a lot of distroes from time to time during 15 years. Now I'm using Mint for 2 reasons:

- you can use it right out-of-the-box, no need the install codecs or the Ubuntu fonts ( linux is way too ugly to use without these fonts )
- it's quite cautious and doesn't integrate anything just because it seems better. The same with the PPAs: I can update the software I use and if anything goes wrong I uninstall the bogus PPAs and revert to a stable system. No matter what I do it will at least boot.

These are the 2 reasons why Mint is in my opinion the only distro that is worth using. I wouldn't use linux at all if it didn't exist.

wanderer7
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wanderer7 »

Delta44 wrote: - you can use it right out-of-the-box, no need the install codecs or the Ubuntu fonts ( linux is way too ugly to use without these fonts )
I used to think like that too, but it's not because of fonts. You can check out this link: https://wiki.debian.org/Fonts
That page says:
The default fonts in Debian derived distributions like Ubuntu and Linux Mint have better looking fonts when compared to default Debian squeeze since the ubuntu-based distros have heavily patched cairo or freetype2 whereas Vanilla Debian doesn't do patching as much as they do. A lot of things about the cairo package has changed recently in wheezy and unstable which have brought almost the same font setup to Debian (But not Squeeze or old) but you have to set it up to your liking. You can create a .fonts.conf file to any user account home folder to set this up. Patching and rebuilding of Cairo packages are not needed any more. An example of .fonts.conf which you can add to your user account home folder without altering anything else:

Code: Select all

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
<fontconfig>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba">
   <const>rgb</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle">
   <const>hintslight</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
  <match target="font">
    <edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter">
      <const>lcddefault</const>
    </edit>
  </match>
</fontconfig>
I did all the above and got fantastic fonts in Debian. So, I agree on "out-of-the-box" part, but everything that's been done in Ubuntu-based distros, can be done in Debian GNU/Linux and other distros. They might just require more experience. That's all.

glhallway
Level 1
Level 1

Post by glhallway »

Got fed up with Windows and all the junk running in the background just to keep safe. Like many I started out with a 8088 and MS Dos 2.7 got a 286 later then a 386 with DOS 6.2.2 and Windows 3.1.1 for work groups
I thought this is the Bomb. I mostly at that time played games ( I still play Gorillas with my wife) and did some QBasic programming but was into Mail I ran a Point for BBS's using DOS and terminal programs. Well I went through the whole Windows thing 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, and Win7. One thing I noticed with Windows was the more you use it the worse it gets. Then you have to spend time with Defragment, Virus scans, ChkDsk, Registry Editing (regedit) and Scandisk just to get it working correctly.

About three months ago I tried DSL (damn small linux) fun but not for me. So I tried Ubuntu hated it. So I tried Mint 13, the hot corners drove me nuts and it kept freezing up. Next came Mint 15, OK but always went back to Windows 7 to do anything again hot corners and freezing. I kept getting fed up with Windows and Linux both, then I read 17 was coming with mega improvements so I gave it a try (Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit) I dual boot Win7 and Mint 17 but hardly ever use Win7 anymore just for stuff I need that doesn't run on Mint ( tried Wine but it sucks) so that is how I came to use Mint.

wanderer7
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wanderer7 »

glhallway wrote:Next came Mint 15, OK but always went back to Windows 7 to do anything again hot corners and freezing.
You can disable hot corners.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”