What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Post by Dngrsone » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:45 am

Good Lord, WIn 8 is all about hot corners and arcane gestures... drives me batty.

With Mint 17 KDE I don't any hot corners programmed up, and I am somehow surviving.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.

tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:17 pm

Vut iss diss vin-dose you speak uvv?! lol :wink: :lol:
Last edited by tek_heretik on Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2x120GB Intel SSDs, 2x1TB storage HDDs (mirrored), 500GB 'test' HDD, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury, Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...Linux Registered User 533946

tenry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tenry » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:40 pm

Reasons why I generally prefer Linux to Windows:
  • Easier to code with: no matter if C/C++, scripts, server or whatever
  • Quite anything can be personalized
Reasons why I prefer Mint+Cinnamon to KDE, the new GNOME and Ubuntu+Unity:
  • Cinnamon looks quite like what I like most by default.
  • If you know about the theme files, you can edit them easily. Not sure about the other desktop environments...
  • Ubuntu's Unity seems to be hard to configure/personalize
  • I don't like the default scrollbar of Unity
  • I don't like the default one-click-to-open behaviour in KDE (e.g. opening folders)
  • Not sure what's there about GNOME (3 I guess), but there was something I I didn't like it nearly as much as it's previous version
It is just a matter of definition.

Mangar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mangar » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:53 pm

My XP computers took some serious hits with updates and my kids. The youngest had a fetish for cell phones, my wife always allowed her to play on my XP and she knew the word "FREE" on every cell phone advertisement, even if it said Free minutes or free for one month :p

7 days ago I spent countless hours for two days looking at reviews, hands on videos of the interface of the desk tops as well as version reviews. I knew Linux was out there but did not really even consider anything outside of M$. I mean really, those 4 xp computers desktops sat on the floor for the past 9 months collecting dust. My wife made me buy new laptops for each of them 3 new win8 because the public school system force kids to complete homework in Word and power point. So you can image when I thought I saved enough money for a gaming laptop, and all the money went to to kids laptops and my wife for banking.

Well I dragged the old emachines out first and those things screamed and I mean SCREAMED!!! a whine that could be heard outside with the windows shut. and all the programs ran sluggish and jotty. Me not knowing any Linux lingo what KDE for all the other terms used, but go ahead and ask me M$ development software's and stuff. I even do automation programming by trade.

5 days ago, the mint install from 2 gig thumb drive went smooth with no issues. I spent a day poking around the layout getting my bearings. I was able to load the first win game yesterday and run it under a load. To my surprise the games played smoothly for the first time while XP was jittery. The cpu and fan was only 20% the scream that it was. I even cleaned the tower and heat sinks off and now it is only 10% the banshee that it was.

I picked Mint for it security features, desk top layout, look and feel. Also that you had better review with wine and playonlinux. I have a box with 80 window PC games :)

I just wish I could roll back the time before I ever dumped hundreds and hundreds of dollars in Microsoft office, Frontpage, expressions, VB, asp.net, and many others, OS operating systems from win 3.1 upto win8.
--
My goals: next 14 days...
1st xp : Game PC
2nd XP : Banking PC, no games or open browsers.
3rd XP : fire wall system to cover the 48 web base PCs and devices in my house.
4th xp : Make a network archive and server

My goal is to teach my kids Linux and its operation systems and maybe force them to get Linux certifications. Talk my kids into starting a Linux club like they have a gamer club at the school.
Help those kids and parents that can not afford M$ upkeep and upgrade every few months. I think it would be surprising if the kids start talking "Oh I did my homework on Libra" I would like the kids school club too
get them involve with Making apps for mobile devices and Linux seems great to start that. We really need to get the next generation involved with Linux.

LOL, Yeah I know, I am on a honeymoon phase with Mint right now, I just want to keep that feeling going and get other people there too!

Thank you Linux Mint!!! :honey moon phase: :lol: :twisted:
Life after Windows! the future looks MINT!
completely new to Linux here is a quick overall for 1st timers Lingo curve http://www.linfo.org/newbies.html
Alternative applications to what Windows users do things http://www.linuxalt.com/

tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:34 pm

tenry wrote:Reasons why I generally prefer Linux to Windows:
  • Easier to code with: no matter if C/C++, scripts, server or whatever
  • Quite anything can be personalized
Reasons why I prefer Mint+Cinnamon to KDE, the new GNOME and Ubuntu+Unity:
  • Cinnamon looks quite like what I like most by default.
  • If you know about the theme files, you can edit them easily. Not sure about the other desktop environments...
  • Ubuntu's Unity seems to be hard to configure/personalize
  • I don't like the default scrollbar of Unity
  • I don't like the default one-click-to-open behaviour in KDE (e.g. opening folders)
  • Not sure what's there about GNOME (3 I guess), but there was something I I didn't like it nearly as much as it's previous version
Your post is confusing me a little, you sound experienced but yet you don't know that you can change the number of click(s) to open files/folders in KDE, I believe it's in the file manager preferences/settings. I don't use KDE anymore, I'm an Xfce user now.

Ubuntu openly admitted to adding spyware to their default install/live disks (on by default), I stay away from it for that reason. Even if they do remove it (supposedly a few releases from now), I still won't trust them again. I believe Mint 'cleans' that spyware out for their builds.

I never thought Gnome 2 was that great, Gnome 3 is an abomination, you are not the only one to have this opinion, Gnome devs turned their backs on PC users in favour of being hand-held friendly, and it shows. FYI, Cinnamon is essentially a rewrite of Gnome 3, 'normalized' if you will.
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2x120GB Intel SSDs, 2x1TB storage HDDs (mirrored), 500GB 'test' HDD, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury, Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...Linux Registered User 533946

rocknroll
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rocknroll » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:20 pm

Some guy in our Linux User Group was raving about Mint and I have been wanting to ditch Windows since XP.. (talk about procrastination!). Anyway v17 is AWESOME! I was so happy I went and donated money to the cause. Anyway I have been interviewing a variety of computer / high tech firms for the last year and every company (with the exception of MS) wanted Linux familiarity. Things don't look too good Microsoft. I think the best and most promising thing they have done was produce the XBox... however, they completely ignored it as a potential platform for future growth, i.e they should have taken it mobile as well as created a business terminal, but that was too forward thinking for them. Instead they created XBox Live and proceeded to alienate both their developer base as well as their users... but I digress.

I went with the Cinnamon Desktop for no better reason than my dog's name is Cinnamon. Fortnately it has everything I wanted. Kudos to the team that created this awesome distro. Thanks for helping me get out of the WIndow!

ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ClutchDisc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:00 am

^^^ Welcome to the forums and to Linux Mint! I will never get tired of hearing how people are freed from Windows.. thanks for sharing your story! :)
Custom build
CPU: Intel Core i5 2.70GHz quad core
RAM: 8GB DDR4
OS drive: 120GB SSD
Data drive: 2TB HDD

Marbux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marbux » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:29 pm

I came to Linux many years ago and after trying many distros, settled on Kubuntu because: (I) fairly easy transition from Windows to KDE; (ii) lots of packages; (iii) large developer pool; and (iv) few customizations needed after reinstalling or upgrading. But KDE 4 blew my mind; I just wanted to get some work done, not spend a bunch of time learning to navigate that flood of eye candy and gadgetry. I switched to Ubuntu with the Gnome 2 desktop. Then came the Unity desktop and I blew my cork. Looking around, I learned of the Mint team's long-term commitment to maintain and enhance the Gnome 2 desktop in Mate. Here I am.

I am not against change in desktops, but I like it in incremental doses. I've been working with computers since the early 1970s. And I do mean working. I feel like both the KDE and Gnome desktop developer communities succumbed to the eye candy and gadgetry crowd; continuity in the GUI suffered mightily and productivity took an enormous hit not nearly justified by the eye candy and gadgetry thrown up as productivity roadblocks.

I've been very pleased by the way the Mint developers have approached the evolution of the Mate desktop. Changes in the user experience between versions have overwhelmingly been sensible enhancements in usability, not radical redesign of the user experience. So upgrading has not been a huge problem. But Mint 17 Mate looks to be my last upgrade for quite awhile. I feel that it's the release that really brought all the Gnome 2 pieces together in a truly solid way in a long-term release. With the commitment to backporting packages long-term, I'll look at later releases but don't plan to upgrade before there's another long-term release.

Marbux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marbux » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Just realized there was a "why I left Windows" component to the question. Major reasons here (there are many more).

First, I still run Windows on one machine because I contribute to the development of a multi-platform software project that does most of its development builds for the Win32 platform and because there is no acceptable substitute on Linux for WordPerfect for authoring complex documents. (Long rant omitted about Open/LibreOffice's unsuitability for complex documents.)

* Although Microsoft has softened somewhat since the E.U. courts forced a bit more openness, it's basic business model is monopolistic and treats its customers as victims rather than serving their needs. Forced upgrades via file format and protocol changes are the rule, even for apps if they want to retain Microsoft "Windows-certified" status. And those upgrades are not only expensive; they also impose productivity hits.

* Windows is inherently insecure, by design. The fact that there is a large Windows software niche market for anti-malware utilities speaks loudly. Although I became highly competent in practicing safe computing, I have the deep experience in computing to do so. Not so for the fairly large number of other Windows users whose systems I periodically need to fix. By persuading those users to switch to Mint, the time I have to give to tech support is only a tiny fraction of what it was.

* Windows calls home and several times I had machines locked up because Microsoft software had decided software was not licensed when it actually was licensed. Maintaining current license documentation for a large number of systems became a ridiculous burden.

* Windows Usability Sucks. It's Microsoft's way or the highway. There are a multitude of options that are inaccessible to the user except through a multitude of API methods that require advanced programming skills to use and/or a web search for instructions on changing a registry setting. That contrasts with the general Linux approach of using user-editable plain text files for far more options than Windows does.

* Microsoft Plays Dirty. Microsoft has killed many a niche development market by adding the rudiments of the given market's capabilities to the OS, thereby wiping out the market for the third party developer. Easy example: Media Player, which stifled the market for media players (held by the E.U. courts to be an antitrust violation, but the remedy imposed was insufficient to revive that market). Microsoft has also been caught deliberately breaking competitor's applications; e.g., Visual Studio 6's runtimes broke a multitude of programs, including all major apps in WordPerfect Office 8 and 9. Because Microsoft had given VS 6 to its own developers months before its public releases, its entire lineup of fall home computing applications were dependent on the defective runtimes. Rather than doing what was legally required, recalling and replacing its home computing applications and VS 6, Microsoft took over 6 months and several Windows update installs before it finally came up with a working method that could support both the many broken third-party apps and its defective line of home computing products. And of course there's that long sage of antitrust violations actually litigated to a conclusion.

* My level of disgust with Microsoft and its products reached a point where I decided to start working away from dependency on Windows. Apple and OS X are every bit as evil as Microsoft and Windows, so as a practical matter that left Linux.

dw861
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dw861 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Interesting to see Marbux mention WordPerfect. That is the program that encouraged me to switch from OS X to Linux. For about 20 years I worked with WP for Mac, long since abandoned by Corel. I learned that Linux Mint will still support WordPerfect for Linux (also long abandoned), so made the move this past spring.

Using WordPefect on Linux
http://www.xwp8users.com/

Not for everybody for many reasons, but there is still an active xwp newsgroup.
news://cnews.corel.com/corel.WordPerfect_Linux

So dearly wishing that there were a modern version, or comparable variation, for Linux.

Shunjoss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Shunjoss » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:00 pm

I switch to Linux for few reasons : first of all, I had a free licence of windows 8 with the university so i tried it.
It was pretty cool i loved the new metro UI so far, that no start menu was a pretty good idea since i never use it.
6 months later that version of windows insisted to download and install the w8.1 that I doesn't want, the windows 8 was good enough for me (at that time) with this fake new "start menu" and this random new release cycle (6 month for a new LTS is too short!!). Plus the system take 25 Go on my 120 Go SSD (windows is so FAT).
The finishing blow who convince me to get Linux was my ram were full and computing gets slow with 8Go ram (8Go used out of 8Go, this is so terrible)!
And my favourites steam game are on linux now ^^.

To conclude, Windows 8 is a fat papy hiding himself behind a colourful new UI and no changes.

Strange but i still like bing search, skype, outlook.com, and windows phone (best until mintphone :p). I have nothing against Microsoft, but against Windows yes !
Linux mint is awesome.

SeriesOfTubes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SeriesOfTubes » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:38 pm

My first linux distro was Ubuntu, which everyone seemed to say was the easiest for beginners to use. It had Gnome2 then and I installed it on my mom's old Thinkpad. I liked gnome2 since it was light on memory and I could move the menus around. I tried XFCE but didn't like not being able to do this and that or disable the trash.
Then, along came Linux Mint with MATE around when I started college. I was very curious about it and installed it on various old machines I found in the trash. The good performance and solid user interface grew on me and I was happy whenever a newer better version was released ( I wouldn't say the same for Vista). It had been a long time since I used Ubuntu after the laptop broke, so I was curious to see how it well it would run on one of my newer computers. To my horror they had scrapped gnome2 and replaced it with what looked like a Windows 8 beta.
I quickly learned that this slow glitchy Unity interface was very awkward to use indeed. The dock can't be moved, the window buttons are on the wrong side, opening files and programs is a chore, and the constant lagging completely nailed the coffin shut for Ubuntu. I know people say that you should just install a different desktop environment, but it just doesn't work as well as when developers have ironed out the kinks for a specific distro. So, I went back to using Linux Mint with no regrets, well at least when I'm not using windows 7 for games. Best user interface by far, and pretty stable too.

Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:23 pm

I was updating W7 on may 2013 and something happens and I lost windows.
I had to use the recovery process.
W7 was slow on my machine, I was tired od W7
I moved to LinuxMint.
P.
Mint 17 "Qiana", Cinnamon 64-bit 2.0.14 Kernel 3.13.0-27-generic x86_64 Dual Boot W8
Toshiba Satellite Satellite L50D-B Ram:8 GB Quad core AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics Firefox/Thunderbird inxi Fxz File

Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:04 am

Like a lot of other people here, it was the prospect of upgrading to Windows 8 that prompted me to look at non-MS offerings, especially as most of my favourite apps were Windows versions of OSS software (Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP, Krita, OpenOffice/LibreOffice) and a straight upgrade of Windows Vista (32-bit) on my 64-bit home machine to Windows 7/8 64-bit would require nuking my hard-drive from a fresh re-install.

I'd tried a few Linux live CD distros previously - Knoppix, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Unity - but with every one of these I tried it wasn't long before I'd be forced to do the "codec shuffle" or similar to get basic stuff like music or video playing to work. Mint was the first live distro that "just worked", allowing me to do the same things out-of-the-box that I always could do in Windows. Not to mention that it runs like the wind on my 7 year old system compared to Vista!

Shunjoss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Shunjoss » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Marbux wrote: because there is no acceptable substitute on Linux for WordPerfect for authoring complex documents. (Long rant omitted about Open/LibreOffice's unsuitability for complex documents.)
Did you try Latex ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX. If you search a powerful tool to do long and complex document, here you go!

Note : that need to be "learnt" before use.
Linux mint is awesome.

UserError
Level 1
Level 1

Post by UserError » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:17 am

Where to start?
Have been interested in Linux for a long time. I'd run Ubuntu Hardy Heron from a live disk & that was OK. Also tried Vector Linux & liked that. Tried a more recent Ubuntu & my then PC couldn't cope with it.

I also figured that when (in x years' time) I had to leave W7, I wouldn't want any MS offerings & if I was going to have to learn a new OS, it might as well be Linux.

I had been using QGIS on W7 for a while. This kept "not responding", which I think is a Windows issue as it was originally written for Linux, so I finally took the plunge and am trying to go Windows-free. I chose Mint as it is based on Ubuntu & has more stuff available that I am likely to use and can draw on the support base of Ubuntu. I also understood that it was one of the easier one for noobs. I am freelance & I want a system to work & not to have to spend hours or days configuring stuff.

I will make a contribution if I can make it work for me ( I contribute to QGIS) and so stick with it, but I'm finding certain areas of difficulty and things lacking which might sadly kill it for me.

JohnBobSmith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnBobSmith » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:03 pm

@UserError
I would recommend dual booting (if you still can without having to re-install/pay for another Windows OS) Linux and Windows for some time. I took the plunge and went Windows free fairly recently. Things will not work the same way in Windows as they will in Linux. Some things will be "lacking" so to speak. I wouldn't expect free software to be perfect. Also, what's perfect for one user will absolutely cause another user grief, and so on and so forth. Therefore, most software is made to cater to a general audience.

That said, there is a lot of flexibility within Linux. If you are looking for an "Everything just works out of the box" sort of approach, I can recommend Mint with XFCE desktop. I've never had any serious problems with XFCE. I've never really had to configure my system beyond some simple text files that I wanted to modify to change the appearance of my desktop. The rest of the user preferences can be done via GUI settings.

The only thing that you might need to watch out for coming into Linux is drivers for certain (Ralink) Wifi adapters. And, depending if you use certain 3D applications or not, drivers for your video card. Thankfully, Mint has a driver manager, which lets you choose your video card drivers.

All in all, you should be able to find something that works for you. And if it doesnt, you can make it work for you! Since linux is free and open-source, and 90% of software for linux is free and open source, you can make it work for you. I wouldnt expect the same from a Windows OS, where what you see is what you get and there is nothing you can do about it.

All the best,
JohnBobSmith
If you want to change the world, start by changing yourself.
Success is often 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.
You get one shot at life, so live to the maximum, not the minimum.

Shunjoss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Shunjoss » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:50 am

JohnBobSmith wrote:@UserError
Some things will be "lacking" so to speak. I wouldn't expect free software to be perfect. Also, what's perfect for one user will absolutely cause another user grief, and so on and so forth.
Well said ! A computer looks like the person who use it, as we all have different needs or preference.
What I really miss from Windows is "skins" for music apps it was fun.
Linux mint is awesome.

JohnBobSmith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnBobSmith » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:27 am

Thanks Shunjoss. I dont really miss a lot from Windows. Most of what I do works fine.

I also found another reason as to why I switched to Mint and ditched Windows altogether. Mint is simply beautiful. Mint runs well, works well, and does most of everything I need it to do just fine. Windows 8 (not even 8.1) sucked horribly. I'm glad I left. :)
If you want to change the world, start by changing yourself.
Success is often 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.
You get one shot at life, so live to the maximum, not the minimum.

Shunjoss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Shunjoss » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:02 am

For my part I said bye-bye to Windows for this new random release cycle,and 8.1 is worst than 8.
And windows 8 could take all my ram with 8Go of ram and FREEZE. Thus I'm on mint now :D.
JohnBobSmith wrote:Mint is simply beautiful. Mint runs well, works well, and does most of everything I need it to do just fine.
So true.
Linux mint is awesome.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”