What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Post by Mr_Reed »

FreedomOfTheOpenCode wrote:I switched to Linux Mint because of Windows 8, and Microsoft insisting that this is the future.
I 2nd that idea. With the arrival of Win 8, I was horrified, and greatly disappointed. I do not accept that OS at all, and 10 don't look much better. MS is forcing something new and unwanted on me, and I don't have to accept it. I never once complained about the user interface of Windows; now they want to force me to adapt to a touch and swipe system that looks like it's for kids and babies. I don't want my desktops, laptops, and custom built computers to look like a phone or cheap tablet.

Aside from that, I choose to use Linux Mint on some of my computer systems because of ease of use, it's not ugly or weird, just about everything I need is included. I don't really have to add software or find other programs to run on it. I feel secure with it, and it's pretty fast. I also like the fact that I feel that I'm venturing into new territory and trying Linux and even other distros. I feel like I'm learning new things and gaining valuable insight into something I originally thought was for computer programmers. I find that I'm quite at ease using Linux. Mint is my number 1 :wink:
sanity rising
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sanity rising »

For me at first it was they money, i didn't like how windows was becoming expensive and i hated the look and feel of windows 8. After dabbling in the past with Ubuntu it all seemed like hard work switching to Linux, but with more research and dabbling i found Mint a lot quicker and once i knew some basics it was easy to use. I still have to get one or two things to work that i was using in windows but nothing too important....so i'm sticking with mint :D
NChewie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NChewie »

I agree with Mr_Reed. My wife has just been forced by her work to 'upgrade' to a Windows phone, and the OS is horrible on that, never mind when installed on a laptop!

Also, I found that support for my old peripherals were getting dropped by MS releases, e.g. my HP printer takes about 2 minutes per page to print under Win7, because the drivers are not available, while it works like new under linux.

I became increasingly frustrated with Windows Update issues - where my machine was twice borked by automatic security updates.
At least with linux, it is quick, easy and free to reinstall the OS if anything does go wrong.
I also find it intrusive that MS Updates hijack my machine [Do NOT POWER OFF/DO MISS YOUR BUS] when I want to shut it down at the end of a working day.
Toshiba Satellite Pro C650-191 LM19.2 Cinnamon
Matoro

Post by Matoro »

Three reasons:
1. Graduated college back in May, and I don't have to worry about trying to run certain software on my own personal computer.
2. My Windows 8 computer got hacked with malware somehow. Maybe it was one of those Eastern F2P games on steam.
3. I don't want to be overwhelmed by all these PC games. Plus open source is cool!

I don't usually spend too much time on the computer anyway (mostly on android), but when I do, I use it for editing videos and playing video games.

I wanted to switch to Mint than any other distro, because it's like Ubuntu. It just looks nice and doesn't seem to take a lot of resources. Especially important when gaming or video editing.
deleted

Post by deleted »

The forums.
I primarily use Debian/Ubuntu based distros, (Mint, SolydXK, #!, LinuxBBQ, Visido)
so the helpfulness of the forums really add to experience.
3fRI
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 3fRI »

^+1 :D
System 76 Pangolin: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz, Manjaro 15.12 Capella Xfce/Cinnamon 64-bit
iMac 21.5: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, Mac OS 10.11

[iWhat? Me worry?[/i]
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

I have a small handful of reasons for joining the Linux community and using Mint...

As several others have mentioned, Microsoft's ending of support for XP is a considerable factor. I'm not necessarily a Windows hater, per se, but I haven't been particularly impressed with MS's operating system offerings these past few years. I flipped to the Mac side as my primary OS when OS X Leopard came out. Were it not for my digital audio workstation software (Cakewalk Sonar 5) requiring XP and no later, I would've gone completely Mac by now. So I'm already open to the idea of a non-Windows OS.

I recently acquired a few used PCs of various vintage, all with either XP or 7. I didn't necessarily care about keeping either of these systems running on a Microsoft OS, so I embarked on my first serious forays into the Linux world. At first, I tried the two top trending Linux consumer desktop distros-- Ubuntu and Mint. I didn't really "get" the Unity interface, so I tried out Mint, which ran great right out of the box on the Windows 7 machine (a Dell XPS 210) and seemed more intuitive.
Since then, I've tried several different flavors on an older Pentium 4, and among the very few with current versions able to run without error or further configuration was Mint Xfce. I'm waiting until Mint Xfce 17.1 gets out of RC status before I install it permanently, though.

Although I like the Mint family the best, I've tried at least a dozen distros/spins these past few weeks, and I have some honorable mentions:
  • Lubuntu 14.04.1: This ran a close second to Mint Xfce; it was quite responsive, even on that old Pentium 4, and thankfully doesn't use Unity.
    Puppy 6.0 Tahrpup: Super-ultra-light, yet ran surprisingly well. I could see putting this on a kid's second-hand PC because of its "cuteness" factor.
    Fedora 21: Rather Mac-OS-like, with a OS X Mavericks-style Launchpad and a thriving community. But Fedora was just too much for the old P4, and there is no real "Fedora Light" version without major tweaking.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
DXM1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DXM1 »

i switched because ubuntu kept nuking my install where id boot into black screen. with mint i chose to install only what has been tested by mint team. level 2. i need a stable system.
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

paulcoholic wrote:I haven't fully switched to Mint, yet. I did get rid of XP on a Lenovo netbook and just have Mint 17 MATE on it.
Pardon the threadjack, everyone...

paulcoholic, I've recently acquired a Lenovo Ideapad S10, similar to the one in your signature. I've replaced the original XP with Mint Cinnamon, and I see you have MATE.
I was wondering if you had tried the other editions of Mint on this machine and, if so, what reason(s) led you to choosing MATE.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
greggreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greggreen »

I switched for a few reasons, obvious ones are, windows 8, internet pop up madness, malware everywhere. I use quite a few linux inspired apps, Inkscape, some of the office packages, top notch. Played with Linux through the years so this time I have multiple hard drives internal and external. Internal for day to day and a separate one for doing anything away from the norm, i.e. retro gaming and tinkering because I know I will be installing until my terminal skills are better.

Pros
For Browsing or Office work it is great.

Cons
I really hate Software Manager can install drivers, While your system is out of date. Borking the whole thing.

I like it a lot but I am glad I have a few hard drives around so I do not have to keep rebuilding my main Linux build :D.
echl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by echl »

because dude its linux mint! :D
OhioJB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OhioJB »

The end of support for Windows XP was the reason I started reading up on Linux. I knew virtually nothing about it but decided to start reading as much as I could online. Found a good video on Youtube by someone who goes by the name 'sakitech' showing how to burn a Linux iso image onto a flashdrive and booting it up and installing. To give you an idea how little I knew of such things I had to buy my first flashdrive to burn the image.

I work from home for peanuts basically and was in a bad spot financially after my company reduced my hours due to the Affordable Care Act. So I knew there was no way I could afford to buy another version of Windows at the time, but needed my PC as a backup to my laptop in case it ever had problems. Fortunately and thankfully, the developers of Linux Ubuntu and Mint do not require a donation to download the distros. I did start out with Ubuntu, but not long after installed Mint as a dual boot, and have much preferred Mint.

Mint really is a great, slick distro, and being able to easily upgrade from 17 to 17.1 recently was much appreciated. I also had Mint 17 and Windows 7 set up as a dual boot on my laptop and didn't know how to replace one of the two while leaving the other. Even though it wasn't imperative to upgrade to 17.1 it was nice to be able to do so.

I'm using Cinnamon desktop and like it. Like the fact that my printer was easy to set up as it was listed, and also had no problems with my wifi connecting.

Only problem I find once in awhile is when I try to go to a website, or perform a function on a website, and get the message that flash is required. I'm sure I can fix that problem but have not taken the time yet.

Very thankful for Linux Mint. Believe it was Mint 14 that I started out with on my PC before upgrading to 17. Now finally, a year later, I'll soon be able to make a donation. Wont be a large one, but I'm sure it wont be the only one I make as time goes on. Truly appreciate all the hard work that goes into this distro. And I appreciate the security of the system in comparison to Windows products.

I have tried other distros that were catastrophes for me. Most were not as easy to install, and some that I tried were not able to be installed for some reason. Part of the problem may have been my PC as I ended up with a message about the SATA drive during attempts at installation. And now my poor PC seems to be a goner. However, I do still have my laptop so able to continue working from home.
Welly Wu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Welly Wu »

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P and it came with Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 bit. I upgraded to Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center Update 1 64 bit. I purchased my notebook PC on February 1st, 2014 and it's been a little over one year since I've owned it. Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 bit crashed on me ten times in less than one year. I got so sick and tired of Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 bit that I decided to try Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS 64 bit GNU/Linux. It didn't work because the Nouveau open source graphics driver froze up my PC every time I got into the Ubuntu Unity Greeter log in screen. I tried Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" 64 bit GNU/Linux and I have not had one problem due to the desktop operating system that wasn't directly my fault by messing around with software packages from untrusted sources (i.e., LibreOffice pre-releases PPA or indicator-synapse PPA). Linux Mint Cinnamon edition has a traditional desktop graphical user interface that reminds me of Microsoft Windows XP and 7 64 bit. It's not trying to appeal to everybody to be everything. It's not a smart phone or tablet graphical user interface like Ubuntu Unity. It appeals to keyboard and mouse desktop users like myself. I think that Cinnamon is beautiful, functional, and useful especially with the Numix PPA including the GTK3 themes, icons, and desktop design language. It's unified and classy. By switching to GNU/Linux and Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" 64 bit GNU/Linux in particular, I extended the useful service life of my Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P notebook PC by an additional few more years because the PC hardware requirements are significantly lower compared to Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 bit. Microsoft Windows 10 64 bit will have the same PC hardware requirements, but everybody knows that the latest and greatest version of Microsoft Windows always requires the latest and greatest PC hardware components in order to maximize compatibility and performance especially graphics performance. I got tired of the frequent PC hardware refresh cycles and I decided to save time and money by switching to Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" 64 bit GNU/Linux. It's faster, cheaper, better, and much more stable, reliable, and secure than the latest version of Microsoft Windows or Apple Macintosh OS X combined!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

@Welly Wu

You can still run Windows 10 for things you need windows specific for if you have 4GB RAM in your computer. Put Virtual Box on it and share 2GB to W10. I have it's Beta copy loaded to my Mint 17 MATE and it's a bit slow at times on 2GB, but does run.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
mbott
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mbott »

I bounce between Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Mint 17.1 on an inexpensive Dell laptop. It's a Inspiron 15 (model 3542). Everything just works with both distributions. I've got the Windows 8.1 hard drive stuck away in the box and maybe some day I'll try it out.

--
Mike
bawldiggle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bawldiggle »

A Microsoft refugee ... my PCs are my living ... AutoCad + Excel

Win-8 ... Lego for Juniors UI
- I can read a menu ...
- too many steps to get anywhere
- RSI moving mouse over a 23 inch screen
Ribbons on MS Office 2007, 2010 -- real estate hogs and UGLY!
- the corruption of the classical meaning of "intuition"
- if it relies on previous experience it is NOT "intuition"
- could not find anything in Win8 nor MS Office Applications
Dropping VBA after Office 2010
- I have written addins for Excel for engineering purposes in VBA for >12 years
- granted VBA is unstable (I spent a year developing an Excel Addin to re-create addins and templates, it de-bloated xla and xlt by upto 58%)
- now that is history -- thanks to MS ... NOT

An old XP fan ... it worked so did Office 2003
- I like a classical UI -- no animations -- just straight forward menus, and a menu bar and a Start button
- 4 of my machines are XP and have never been internet connected ... (they are all AutoCad 2006) and are totally viable.
I want to get away from Microsoft and Windows dependent ... completely

I did try Ubuntu several years ago but forum help was non existent
- Libre Office help is very disappointing (all I want is a spreadsheet app, have tried Gnumeric, too basic for my needs)

I am running Mint Mate off a stick (still learning)
- this forum is excellent ... the main reason I am trying (and liking) Mint Mate

Thank you to all the clever people who make Mint Mate possible :)
** Inspite of my post count I am a newbie, trying to get my head around Linux -- simple, clear details for a dummy would be appreciated
SPECS:
Acer Aspire 5315 (purchased 2007) | OS Linux Mint 17 "Quiana" -- Mate 32-bit | 2GB RAM | HDD 80GB
tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik »

bawldiggle wrote:
I am running Mint Mate off a stick (still learning)
- this forum is excellent ... the main reason I am trying (and liking) Mint Mate

Thank you to all the clever people who make Mint Mate possible :)
You probably already know this but you'd might like to poke around in dconf, there's a lot of GUI and other options in there, I went from KDE (too much bloat and indexing-ware now, it's insane) to Xfce (still love Xfce but it's not officially supported in PCLinuxOS) to MATE, old Gnome 2.x info will also apply to MATE in a lot of cases, it's a revival/fork.
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2x120GB Intel SSDs, 2x1TB storage HDDs (mirrored), 500GB 'test' HDD, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury, Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...Linux Registered User 533946
bawldiggle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bawldiggle »

@ tek_heretik :)
tek_heretik wrote: You probably already know this but you'd might like to poke around in dconf, there's a lot of GUI and other options in there, I went from KDE (too much bloat and indexing-ware now, it's insane) to Xfce (still love Xfce but it's not officially supported in PCLinuxOS) to MATE, old Gnome 2.x info will also apply to MATE in a lot of cases, it's a revival/fork.
I got lost at ... "You probably already know this but you'd might like to poke around in dconf ... "

A Linux noobie ... I have not installed Mint yet (due to work demands with that other OS :evil: )
- all I have been able to do with Mint Mate is ... open Mint and poke around in main menu ... so far

Would I be stretching the friendship for more details about your suggestions.

What is "dconf" ?

-----
EDIT
-----
Just found what is dconf I will need some time to digest it
** Inspite of my post count I am a newbie, trying to get my head around Linux -- simple, clear details for a dummy would be appreciated
SPECS:
Acer Aspire 5315 (purchased 2007) | OS Linux Mint 17 "Quiana" -- Mate 32-bit | 2GB RAM | HDD 80GB
tek_heretik
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tek_heretik »

bawldiggle wrote:@ tek_heretik :)
tek_heretik wrote: You probably already know this but you'd might like to poke around in dconf, there's a lot of GUI and other options in there, I went from KDE (too much bloat and indexing-ware now, it's insane) to Xfce (still love Xfce but it's not officially supported in PCLinuxOS) to MATE, old Gnome 2.x info will also apply to MATE in a lot of cases, it's a revival/fork.
I got lost at ... "You probably already know this but you'd might like to poke around in dconf ... "

A Linux noobie ... I have not installed Mint yet (due to work demands with that other OS :evil: )
- all I have been able to do with Mint Mate is ... open Mint and poke around in main menu ... so far

Would I be stretching the friendship for more details about your suggestions.

What is "dconf" ?

-----
EDIT
-----
Just found what is dconf I will need some time to digest it
MATE, Gnome 2.x is kind of not blatantly obvious settings friendly, in dconf you'll find things like show/hide desktop icons, change the number of desktops, add shade to the window buttons, etc, things like that. It's a little reminiscent of the Windows registry, if you've ever played around in it, you won't have any problems in dconf, there's 'reset to defaults' buttons in dconf as well, just in case. :)

Sorry for the thread hijack, OP, I'll shut up now. :oops:
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2x120GB Intel SSDs, 2x1TB storage HDDs (mirrored), 500GB 'test' HDD, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury, Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...Linux Registered User 533946
hwally
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hwally »

I switched to mint after trying out a lot of different linux distros. I usually came back to Windows, just because I was familiar with it. One big problem I had with linux was that it was a lot too learn right off the bat. I needed something I could use and then grow into it as I learned.
I finally switched to Linux Mint 17.1 xfce. I was using a computer with Windows 8.1 and it was just bloated and slow. Mint is fast, responsive and easy to use for the newbie. This is what computing should be like. Thank you.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”