What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Black Swordsman wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:29 am I had received my laptop from my dad that was running windows 7 enterprise and updated it to windows 10 (because I actually liked windows 10) only problem was that after I managed to update it to windows 10 by using the windows creation tool I had to update it so that it had the updated security and whatnot.

That took about 3 days of me trying to download all the security updates from home before I ended up taking it elsewhere to let it finish the updates (because my internet at home isn't that great). After it finished all the downloads and I managed to start downloading programs that I wanted to use the computer started bogging down really quickly and it would take a while before I could really do anything after booting up the computer.

Now I have been using Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon for about a week and I cannot say that I regret it at all...the majority of what I had been using has had the same or an easier to use alternative and from what I can tell my computer is running faster than it did even when I had received it while using windows 7
Linux in general, and Mint in particular has lower overhead than Windows. It's also not "phoning home" all the time...
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
AlanIhsan

Post by AlanIhsan »

My need for a development platform that doesn't always tell me to agree to EULA stuff. I don't like my software having a corporate stick up its ass.
wxboss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wxboss »

Started my Linux journey a year ago with Linux Mint, and then I started trying other distros to see what was out there. I tried a lot, and liked certain features with certain distros but was never really happy overall.

So, I'm back with Mint (something I actually enjoy using), and intend on staying with it. The Linux world has a lot to offer, but it all boils down to what you like and enjoy using - not what other people try and tell you is better than what you have. If you're happy with something and enjoy using it, there really isn't a reason to look elsewhere.

I'm glad to have Mint back on my pc!
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

wxboss wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:15 pm Started my Linux journey a year ago with Linux Mint, and then I started trying other distros to see what was out there. I tried a lot, and liked certain features with certain distros but was never really happy overall.
Same here. Linux Mint is most balansed desktop distro. Reliability + usability.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
wxboss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wxboss »

BigEasy wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:48 pm
wxboss wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:15 pm Started my Linux journey a year ago with Linux Mint, and then I started trying other distros to see what was out there. I tried a lot, and liked certain features with certain distros but was never really happy overall.
:) Yep! The journey into Linux can also be somewhat of a trap in that there are many choices and many voices that will tend to persuade the uninitiated to the 'greener grasses of other offerings'. However, with Linux Mint, I feel at home which means I enjoy and look forward to the experience. I seldom got that from other options.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BigEasy wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:48 pm
Agreed. Mint is probably the most stable version of Linux out there. SuSE runs a close second, and PCLinuxOS (ran it for a few years) is in there as well, but Texstar keeps it closely reined in and adding stuff not meant for it can cause problems.

Arch...ugh... :D

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:55 pm Agreed. Mint is probably the most stable version of Linux out there.
But is it the most secure? Almost one week after the release of the new FF 59, Mint is still stuck with 58 with known vulnerabilities. And that is by far the only outdated piece of software in Mint's repositories. I think Mint's conservative approach to releasing new versions of software to it's users, adhering
to the idea of "old bugs good, new bugs bad" is it's Achilles heel and may put off some users who will find that they will get much faster access to updated software elsewhere ( for an example, the 3rd post in viewtopic.php?f=47&t=266032). After all, those software are updated for some reason. Oftentimes for security. To me, even if a system is apparently running "as expected" from day to day, is not an stable system, if it is not a secure one. Taking stable in a "broader" sense.
Having taken that off my chest, I'll still be using LM, "because I'm worth it" :D
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Marziano wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:42 am Almost one week after the release of the new FF 59, Mint is still stuck with 58 with known vulnerabilities.
Yes, that's too long. And unusual: normally, the delay is "only" a couple of days. This is not good.

Because the risk of continuing with an insecure web browser is so great, I advise to install the Ubuntu Firefox like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... or-Firefox
(items 9 and 9.1, right column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Marziano wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:42 am But is it the most secure?
Suddenly not. Most secure is probably Tails.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BigEasy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:54 pm
Marziano wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:42 am But is it the most secure?
Suddenly not. Most secure is probably Tails.
Even Tails has issues.

BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:49 pm Even Tails has issues.
Yes.
For example, it doesn't harden your front door against the Big Red Key! :roll: :lol:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:52 am Yes, that's too long. And unusual: normally, the delay is "only" a couple of days. This is not good.

Because the risk of continuing with an insecure web browser is so great, I advise to install the Ubuntu Firefox like this:
@Pjotr

I have been following your security posts and try to keep things updated here at home.

But, I wonder about the necessity of always being "scared of an intruder" when most of my browsing is related to maybe 5 forums at most, and the very occasional use of Google to find the safest harbor for direct downloading of a new Linux for me to load into my VB.

I never play games, just have no aptitude or patience for those 'time wasters', so I never spend any time chasing those websites. I moderate a motorcycle forum and that takes 80% of my time, I visit two other motorcycle forums to help there....

I am beginning to spend most of my free time on the Linux Mint support forums because I learn so much by following thru with each of the help posts... and I take notes of them and store them in my online Evernote file.

I just applied your Firefox hint, but is it really that critical?
I have been on the internet since it was instigated, and I have only once had a browser lock up, or a security related issue... and that was on a Windows machine over a year ago, when something borked up Firefox menus...

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

BigEasy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:54 pm Most secure is probably Tails.
Probably, but I wouldn't want to go amnesiac, at least not just yet :)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 pm
Pjotr wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:52 am Yes, that's too long. And unusual: normally, the delay is "only" a couple of days. This is not good.

@Pjotr

I have been following your security posts and try to keep things updated here at home.

But, I wonder about the necessity of always being "scared of an intruder" when most of my browsing is related to maybe 5 forums at most, and the very occasional use of Google to find the safest harbor for direct downloading of a new Linux for me to load into my VB.

I never play games, just have no aptitude or patience for those 'time wasters', so I never spend any time chasing those websites. I moderate a motorcycle forum and that takes 80% of my time, I visit two other motorcycle forums to help there....

I am beginning to spend most of my free time on the Linux Mint support forums because I learn so much by following thru with each of the help posts... and I take notes of them and store them in my online Evernote file.

I just applied your Firefox hint, but is it really that critical?
I have been on the internet since it was instigated, and I have only once had a browser lock up, or a security related issue... and that was on a Windows machine over a year ago, when something borked up Firefox menus...

Well, ask yourself: why do the Ubuntu, Mint and upstream devs go to such lengths to give us timely security updates? :wink:

Furthermore, your web browser is the one piece of software that's being attacked the most. By far. Disaster can be as close as one click too many. I'd never take unnecessary chances with that....

You're a motor cycle enthusiast. The bikers I know, all care a lot about safe driving. None excepted. Much more so, than the average car driver. I don't assume that you'll ever ride without a good helmet, sound brakes and healthy tyres.... The digital highway can be as dangerous as the physical highway.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BG405 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:19 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:49 pm Even Tails has issues.
Yes.
For example, it doesn't harden your front door against the Big Red Key! :roll: :lol:
Did you have a look at their last errata? :shock:

And as for that key...indeed...

BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Arch_Enemy wrote:And as for that key...indeed...
:mrgreen: :lol:
You didn't get the badge number did you? That's misappropriation of police resources! :lol: Mind you I used to use my vice for the same purpose ...
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Police must be ready at all times to crack all sorts of nuts.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:42 pm
Furthermore, your web browser is the one piece of software that's being attacked the most. By far. Disaster can be as close as one click too many. I'd never take unnecessary chances with that....

You're a motor cycle enthusiast. The bikers I know, all care a lot about safe driving. None excepted. Much more so, than the average car driver. I don't assume that you'll ever ride without a good helmet, sound brakes and healthy tyres.... The digital highway can be as dangerous as the physical highway.
Point taken: :D

I will not leave my driveway without full ATGATT, "All the Gear, All The Time".
Gloves, Helmet full face modular Shoei, Ballistic rated mesh jacket, Ballistic rated mesh Pants, and boots.

so yes, now that I have the resource link for FF set up, you can rest assured I will take care of the browser.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Spearmint2 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:36 pm Police must be ready at all times to crack all sorts of nuts.
LOL!

hotdog789

Post by hotdog789 »

I started a couple of months ago with Ubuntu. Basically I wanted freedom from Windows and I wanted to learn something new. I briefly tried Manjaro and Fedora, but I like the way Mint Mate looks and runs. Plus, it uses sooo much less RAM than Windows just sitting still after startup! I have Mint Mate on my desktop and laptop, both dual booting with Windows, though I hardly ever use Windows anymore. So far so good!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”