holy crap KDE is awesome

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3

holy crap KDE is awesome

Post by wheeledgoat »

I continue to be amazed at KDE. Granted, my only prior DE experience was cinnamon, and it was great (in fact, I'm installing that for my mom's computer today) but KDE keeps surprising me over and over.

-the "split view" pane in dolphin, wow!
-the notifications in the system tray
-the ability to pause long file transfers
-mint backup!*
-alt-F2 *
-the package manager!
-software manager

-the list keeps going and going. the more I use KDE, the more I love it

*I know, some of these features aren't exclusive to KDE, but they're still awesome

I'm posting this;
a) ...for the person who, like me, was perusing these threads trying to decide if I should try another DE, and which one. Let me tell ya; reasonably current hardware runs KDE great (my '08 build in my sig). Don't be scared by how full featured it is; you don't feel it unless you've got a seriously old computer. KDE is no harder to use than Cinnamon - just more options when you do start looking around and tinkering. (with the notable exception of having to manually get my scanner discovered, when cinnamon found it no problem).
b) ...to thank the persons responsible for development. NICE JOB!!!!!!

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems. And that's a big mistake."
-Frank Wilczek

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Re: holy crap KDE is awesome

Post by Distro-Don »

On my computer I have LM13 MATE on sda1, LM16 MATE on sda2, LM16 Cinnamon on sda3, LM16 XFCE on sda5 and LM17 KDE on sda6. I had always used Mate all the time up untill now and liked it best. Now, my favorates in order are KDE, MATE, XFCE and Cinnamon. You are right. KDE is awesome.
Attachments
Test.png

Tz2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tz2001 »

KDE is by far the most modern, sleek and professional of all the DE's I've tried. It's comparable to Windows, which is either a good or bad thing depending on your stance on Windows. KDE has come a long way since I last tried it back in version 3.something every window seemed to have far too many buttons, the graphics were ugly (subjective of course) and it looked incredibly dated even when it was new. KDE 4 remedied this and looks and works beautifully. It's on par with Windows 7 in terms of appearance, which cant be said of any of the other DEs.

I haven't used Cinnamon much, but it seems better than Gnome. Gnome used to be far better designed than KDE back in the KDE3/Gnome2 days but Gnome lost their way.. Gnome now suffers the sort of problems that used to plague KDE such as inconsistent padding on menus/buttons and arbitrary font sizes throughout the UI (Honestly, in Gnome 3 font sizes seem to be chosen at random. Take a look at this screenshot to see what I mean: http://digitizor.com/wp-content/uploads ... ome3_3.png )

One of my main gripe with most of the linux DEs is that they often look amateurish from a design point of view by having too many strong gradients in an attempt to make things look "shiny", it looks old fashioned and cheesy. The KDE designers seem to be more in tune with what other UI designers are doing and have a more elegant default theme.

anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by anandrkris »

I use Cinnamon these days but big fan of KDE as well. In particular,
I like KRunner (Alt + F2 does desktop search based on Nepomuk, other plugins to doc calc and common actions in KRunner itself)
Dolphin - has ability to download lot of services as actions and embedded terminal
Has a wide range of widgets that you can put on desktop / panel. (Cinnamon is gradually evolving on this with new applets coming from developers.
Cheers,
If there is a drive, there will be a path

skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by skywolfblue »

Indeed, I really do love KDE.
- It's really rich in features and customization.
- It's applications are pretty spiffy, I like Dolphin, Kate, K3b and the huge array of widgets available.
- It's really not the resource hog some label it to be (it may have been early on in the 4.0 cycle, but it hasn't been true for these recent years).

It is for me "like windows, if windows were a million times better". KDE understands what windows SHOULD be like.

wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wheeledgoat »

skywolfblue wrote:It is for me "like windows, if windows were a million times better". KDE understands what windows SHOULD be like.
I get your sentiment - but I would only say that "KDE understand what an OS SHOULD be like". Forget windows, man. As of win8, I no longer consider Microsoft the defacto standard to compare to. I love that KDE just does what makes sense, while somehow still maintaining familiarity to ease transitions. (e.g. the organization of the Kickoff menu)

I'm also excited that KDE has altered my perception of Linux from "seeing potential - one day it'll be really great!" to being 98% there!

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems. And that's a big mistake."
-Frank Wilczek

Venomous Woe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Venomous Woe »

I pretty much agree with the general sentiment that KDE is the best thing since sliced bread, but there's one thing about it that just has to be mentioned IMO: Mouse Gestures. That probably is KDE's killer feature, and it's something that should be advertised more often. Launching programs and sending keystrokes by drawing symbols with the right mouse button is amazingly intuitive, and I use it quite a bit. I just wish they were easier to use, or at least more well documented, but whatever.

RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RacerBG »

The only thing in KDE which push me away from it is: the resource cost and the massive programs bloat like KOffice. For me one DE should have only necessary programs like terminal, calculators, etc...

My personal opinion only, I'm not saying that KDE is bad. :wink: KDE is one of the best looking DE's around.
Proud of Linux Mint!

Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Zalbor »

It's been my favourite since I first tried it but until a few years ago it never worked properly.
More recently, the only thing that annoys me is that they make releases, final ones, with bugs still there. Even the latest one doesn't kill the screensaver once it stops showing it.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker »

anandrkris wrote:I use Cinnamon these days but big fan of KDE as well. In particular,
I like KRunner (Alt + F2 does desktop search based on Nepomuk, other plugins to doc calc and common actions in KRunner itself)
Dolphin - has ability to download lot of services as actions and embedded terminal
Has a wide range of widgets that you can put on desktop / panel. (Cinnamon is gradually evolving on this with new applets coming from developers.
I'm just now getting ready to add a DE base Linux to my box...
I'm currently on the Ubuntu base MINT/Cinamon
Cinamon seems to do what needs to be done but I'm always game for new goodies! (I'm retired and with all this snow -- nothing better to do )

is the ISO for KDE current ?

right now I'm stuck as my Cinamon v.15 is off of maintenance. I don't want to replace it with another temp. dist. and it's going to be summer before I can get V.17 which will be LTS

thoughts?
¡Viva la Resistencia!

anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by anandrkris »

There is Mint 16 Petra KDE available, which you may give a try. See a review here.

I would suggest running a live USB session for experimentation. Mint 17 is going to be a LTS, so always better to wait for long term release.

BTW, KDE or Plasma Desktop is going through a major overhaul in terms of underlying technology and under-the-hood changes but i believe from a user perspective, there should not be much difference but expect it to be a lot more robust and smooth.

http://www.planetkde.org/ - For all KDE news.
Cheers,
If there is a drive, there will be a path

wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wheeledgoat »

anandrkris wrote:BTW, KDE or Plasma Desktop is going through a major overhaul in terms of underlying technology and under-the-hood changes but i believe from a user perspective, there should not be much difference but expect it to be a lot more robust and smooth.http://www.planetkde.org/ - For all KDE news.
i'm SO looking forward to this. the one thing that KDE is letting me down on right now is the user switching and screensaver/pw handling... still kinda buggy. holding out hope it's just a transition period and all is ironed out with 17!

-Frank Wilczek

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”