Which do you prefer: Cinnamon or XFCE?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Which do you prefer: Cinnamon or XFCE?

Postby excollier » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:41 am

xfce - simple and stable
Registered Linux user #557695
Mint 17.3 XFCE &Debian 9.1 XFCE dual boot (desktop), Raspbian Jessie (Raspberry Pi)
Windows 10 VM (I know) so I can work from home.

lisabonne citadel
Level 3
Level 3

Postby lisabonne citadel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:37 am

Hi... I dont know if all of you already tried to install cinnamon DE over mint xcfe basement distro.
I can tell you...
Is the most compatible DE to install over with.
In another way, is like to have the same cinnamon look but with less resource hog (about 200MB less!)
so if your computer is quite old :
install xfce and then use cinnamon DE

CaseyMarie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby CaseyMarie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:22 pm

I have to admit I really really didn't like Cinnamon at all when I first saw it and I'm really not sure why. Maybe it was an early version that was missing a little bit of polish, maybe it was the default lighter theming, maybe it was the fact that it was on a netbook and it's slightly chunkier in places that really needs a higher resolution...but I'm using it now and it looks nice, it looks really nice:

(Well it did before I had to resize it for the forum :p)

I'm not really sure what's changed, perhaps it's just the inevitable maturity with age. Although I'm sure that hundreds of thousands of hours of programming have gone into it since I last checked but I think the Devs have done a lovely job and I appreciate their efforts!

I love xfce as well, I had it on a netbook and it ran beautifully. I think it feels slightly more utilitarian than cinnamon but I don't actually think that's necessarily a bad thing, I think that kind of style does help me to focus better, although it still doesn't look as utilitarian as the windows 98/2000 look. Perhaps that's exactly why I'm liking the look of cinnamon more now as the software fashion has changed a little bit? It's an interesting thought!

linux_rules
Level 2
Level 2

Postby linux_rules » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:23 pm

I use Mint Mate simply because its gnome2 which I am used to from my Ubuntu days.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Tomgin5 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:59 am

I tried MATE and KDE and XFCE. I was not terribly impressed. Tried Cinnamon and have made over 100 installs since. It is the only distro I recommend. :D

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Postby xfrank » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Cinnamon is great but not the best option for older or low end hardware. Moreover, Xfce is more customizable. For example, Xfce has a simple option in window management, to hide window decorations when the window is maximized: very useful to eliminate the title bar in a browser.
And Xfce main bar is clearly superior to Cinnamon, Mate and Lxde bars: so much configurable, a joy for the power user.
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

g33zr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby g33zr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:35 pm

At one time or another, I've tried just about every desktop environment out there. My vote is for Cinnamon and, FWIW, no one does Cinnamon like Mint! :wink:
Desktop PC: System76 Sable, Linux Mint 18.2, Cinnamon
Laptop: System76 Pangolin, Linux MInt 18.3, Cinnamon
Media Center PC: iMac, Linux Mint 18.2, Cinnamon

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”