Linux Mint or LMDE ?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Guid00B
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint or LMDE ?

Post by Guid00B » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:44 am

Hello there,
I am setting up a linux desktop for my home and family. We've been using Mac for years, and I have been using some linux distros for a while (uBuntu an d Debian mainly). I'd like my kids to be open minded, so I was looking for some user friendly distro, and since I don't really like the path canonical chose for uBuntu recently, I've been looking around a bit, and linux Mint just came out of the mélée.
I've already installed Linux mint 16 on my desktop and tested it a while. I think it meets all my requirements. So I am going to polish the installation so that we switch from OS10. But I am unsure about one choice :
I have installed Linux Mint Cinnamon main Ed, but I am aware that LMDE is also growing up.
I have considered installing LMDE although it would abviously require a little more dirty hands work (I use a separeted /home on a HDD, system been on a SSD),and from the informations I gathered on this forum and others, I am confident I can do it.
But is it worth the work ? I already have a working installation, so why bother ?
As I am just arriving here, I want to get an idea of the heading of the project. Is LMDE going to be the future ? Is it going to parallel the main ? what is the philosophy of the two projects (stunt route for mavericks or the new growing branch) ?
Of course I don't expect definitve answers (I'm sure the argueing could last forever), but just your opinion, your experience from using LMDE and linux Mint.
LMDE2 Cinnamon 64
Main : Core i3 4330 3.5 GHz
GigaByte GA-H87N Wifi
2x4Go Kingston DDR3
SSD

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint or LMDE ?

Post by xfrank » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:23 am

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&t=164374

My advice is LMDE: the "dirty" work to set up the system is mostly for the installation and initial customization only. LMDE is rolling, so you never have to reinstall it. [* it's a bit tricky to install / and /home in two separate disks, but can be done]
A second option is to wait the next Mint-Ubuntu LTS release, install it, and forget it for the next 5-years support time.
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

py-thon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by py-thon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:35 am

Guid00B wrote:I already have a working installation, so why bother ?
Never change a running system :D
But you will have to by July due to end of support for Mint 16. By then you can choose between Mint 17 LTS and LMDE.
If you expect to add new hardware and/or always want to have more or less recent versions of applications then you should choose LMDE. You will get new kernel and programs on average twice a year (and little in between).
If you use existing hardware, do not intend to add something new and won't mind using mostly 2014 applications for the next years then it's Mint 17 in my opinion. Of course you can also add new program versions to Mint 17. In most cases they will install and integrate smoothly, but sometimes a string of dependencies makes this hard work.
Tower: Sparky 64 bit Mate+mintmenu - Netbook: Sparky 32 bit Mate+mintmenu

Guid00B
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Guid00B » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:13 am

Thank you for these feedback.
I haven't done much more with my running system but to check hardware compability and general ease of use. I tested a handfull of distro, and Mint looks like the good one for my goal. Changing now to LMDE doesn't bother me, just need some more time, but anyway I have to migrate many things from Apple OS10 (mails, internet bookmarks after some cleanup and so on) It's spring clean up ;)
I'll definitly stick to separate /home, and I'd rather have it on my HDD keeping the SSD for the system. The fact that the installer doesn't do it automatically is no real factor (It gives me an opportunity to better understand the way things are done).
I'll need to have some days off (doesn't looks like it's going to be next week :roll: )
LMDE2 Cinnamon 64
Main : Core i3 4330 3.5 GHz
GigaByte GA-H87N Wifi
2x4Go Kingston DDR3
SSD

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:42 am

I would second the vote for LMDE, it rolls, although semi-annually. But once installed your done. Ubuntu's short support time's are a pain, and the LTS version are good but still not great, IMO. I think even though LMDE does not receive as much attention as the Main version, it is still a great OS. Best wishes for whatever you decide.

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Distro-Don » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:05 pm

I definitely would choose LMDE201403 MATE. I have been using it for quite a while now and have no problems at all. I also have LM13, LM14 & LM16 installed and LMDE is the fastest and most stable for me.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:34 pm

For a home system any Mint but LMDE. A big reason is PPAs.
Want to use Netflix? Installing from a PPA is far easier. PPas make available a range of software that is not available in the repos.
I am also a former OSX user and I can tell ya, unless you are one of the very rare OSX users that used the terminal you will like a main Mint edition better. If you have a system with an over 2ghz c2d and 2 gig of ram start out trying Cinnamon. OSX users are used to a certain level of refinement and Cinnamon delivers a very refined experience.
Clem says to expect rough edges in LMDE, which I have always taken to indicate LMDE is a hobbyists edition.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”