Cinnamon 2.2 is awesome!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Cinnamon 2.2 is awesome!

Post by RacerBG » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:19 am

Looks like Clem was not resting at all and developed Cinnamon 2.2 in a way in which the community will be pleased with it! I don't know about you guys but for me the newest Cinnamon change log looks amazing! I quoted my top changes below but at all everything seems to be just perfect!
The graphical interface for System Settings was refined and settings now look more consistent. Settings are better categorized and separated into sub-sections.

The menu applet received two mintMenu features (more will come in 2.4):
Right-click an application and select “Uninstall” to remove it.
Newly installed applications are now highlighted in the menu.

Better integration with GNOME on the same machine (you should no longer see GNOME Control Center in Cinnamon, or Cinnamon Settings in GNOME)

Logout sound
Thank you, Clem! 8)
Proud of Linux Mint!

jahid
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Cinnamon 2.2 is awesome!

Post by jahid » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:08 am

about integration with gnome, i have installed cinnamon 2.2 from linux mint qiana repository in ubuntu gnome 14.04 LTS but the regional settings seems not working, can't figure out what's missing.

But the thing "you should no longer see GNOME Control Center in Cinnamon, or Cinnamon Settings in GNOME" is true.
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop

HardyH
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HardyH » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:28 am

Wish I could say it's awesome, but in my arch install, Cinnamon 2.2 boots into a grey screen and I cannot do anything but move the mousepointer around.
Nevermind, I'll try Cinnamon 2.4 when it's ready, one disappointment per Cinnamon version change is almost more than I can bear.
Fail, deleted, back to MATE
HardyH

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:06 pm

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2014/04/cinnamon-2-2/
HardyH wrote:Wish I could say it's awesome, but in my arch install, Cinnamon 2.2 boots into a grey screen and I cannot do anything but move the mousepointer around.
Do you have Gnome 3.10 installed?
HardyH wrote:Nevermind, I'll try Cinnamon 2.4 when it's ready, one disappointment per Cinnamon version change is almost more than I can bear.
HardyH
Please keep in mind, that it's principally developed for Linux Mint and it's not easily usable in other distro. For example it will not be compatible with Gnome 2.12 for a while (at least one or 2 years).
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by clfarron4 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:23 pm

HardyH wrote:Wish I could say it's awesome, but in my arch install, Cinnamon 2.2 boots into a grey screen and I cannot do anything but move the mousepointer around.
Huh, that's quite strange. It seems that I've got it working quite well on mine (ignoring the upower 0.99 issue).
killer de bug wrote: Please keep in mind, that it's principally developed for Linux Mint and it's not easily usable in other distro. For example it will not be compatible with Gnome 3.12 for a while (at least one or 2 years).
Indeed. For now, I have Cinnamon 2.2 working with GTK 3.12 quite well on ArchLinux (I use MATE to provide the programs, partially because I switch between Cinnamon and Mate w/Compiz).
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:41 am

Interesting... It could mean that not a lot of changes were made between GTK3.10 and GTK3.12... :)
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

HardyH
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HardyH » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:43 am

killer de bug wrote:http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2014/04/cinnamon-2-2/
HardyH wrote:Nevermind, I'll try Cinnamon 2.4 when it's ready, one disappointment per Cinnamon version change is almost more than I can bear.
HardyH
Please keep in mind, that it's principally developed for Linux Mint and it's not easily usable in other distro. For example it will not be compatible with Gnome 2.12 for a while (at least one or 2 years).
Gnome 3? Hell, no, I haven't installed Gnome 3, I even abandoned whole distros for bringing in Gnome 3 as default DE, I'd rather work in a cli system than with Gnome3

Gave Cinnamon 2.2 another try, installed Manjaro Cinnamon with Cinnamon 2.0, everything worked, upgraded to Cinnamon 2.2, ended up with the same gray screen with moveable cursor again.
Nuff tries, nuff said, back to a working DE again.

Hardy

RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RacerBG » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:31 pm

HardyH wrote:
killer de bug wrote:http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2014/04/cinnamon-2-2/
HardyH
Gnome 3? Hell, no, I haven't installed Gnome 3, I even abandoned whole distros for bringing in Gnome 3 as default DE, I'd rather work in a cli system than with Gnome3

Gave Cinnamon 2.2 another try, installed Manjaro Cinnamon with Cinnamon 2.0, everything worked, upgraded to Cinnamon 2.2, ended up with the same gray screen with moveable cursor again.
Nuff tries, nuff said, back to a working DE again.

Hardy
If I were you I would wait for LM 17 and then try Cinnamon 2.2. After all Cinnamon is for Mint, Mint is for Cinnamon. :)
Proud of Linux Mint!

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by clfarron4 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:36 pm

killer de bug wrote:Interesting... It could mean that not a lot of changes were made between GTK3.10 and GTK3.12... :)
Client-Side Decorations... I hate them. Hence why I use the MATE packages with Cinnamon, over the GNOME3 packages.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

HardyH
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HardyH » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:13 pm

RacerBG wrote:
If I were you I would wait for LM 17 and then try Cinnamon 2.2. After all Cinnamon is for Mint, Mint is for Cinnamon. :)
You know that you're saying that Cinnamon is no Linux DE, but only a Linux Mint DE?

If this really is the case, it should be pointed out clearly by the Devs that Cinnamon is Mint only and all other Distros should abandon Cinnamon immediately.

H.

BlackVeils
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BlackVeils » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:23 pm

HardyH wrote:
RacerBG wrote:
You know that you're saying that Cinnamon is no Linux DE, but only a Linux Mint DE?

If this really is the case, it should be pointed out clearly by the Devs that Cinnamon is Mint only and all other Distros should abandon Cinnamon immediately.

H.
i think what they meant is, that many setups will have parts taken and put into a different setup, but doing so wont necessaily have the same results as the original setup.

RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RacerBG » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:52 pm

BlackVeils wrote:
HardyH wrote:
RacerBG wrote:

H.
i think what they meant is, that many setups will have parts taken and put into a different setup, but doing so wont necessaily have the same results as the original setup.
Yes, that is my opinion. ;)

HardyH, if my post was like this: "After all Cinnamon is ONLY for Mint" then the other distros should abandon Cinnamon.
Proud of Linux Mint!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”