Concern about Ubuntu aspects in Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Concern about Ubuntu aspects in Linux Mint

Post by craig10x »

But it's the big company Canonical that is responsible for Linux becoming more mainstream...not that linux will ever be as big as windows...of course, i am sure you won't give them credit for that...you sound like the type that wants linux to remain a fringe, computer geeks os and not something the general public might appreciate...other then Chrome Os, Ubuntu is the only one that has a chance at becoming more widely used...

Linux Mint is a spin off of ubuntu...obviously Clem admires ubuntu more then quite a few of you here seem to...otherwise, he wouldn't be using it for his "base"...
But i am never going to convince you guys of that...i might as well bang my head against the wall :roll:

Do you like the fact that there are ads all over the mint forums? you don't seem to complain about that.... your "privacy" is being invaded right here :shock:
Ubuntu forums have no support ads for ubuntu, which is probably why Ubuntu went the amazon lens route...but because of privacy paranoids, will no longer have it as the default setting as of the next release of ubuntu...
Happy? i doubt it...
Last edited by craig10x on Thu May 08, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

There is spy ware all over the Internet! Run Adblock Plus in your browser and you will get an idea of just how many companies are tracking you. Google ads are everywhere and when you accept third party cookies you are being tracked. The Amazon Lens in Ubuntu is nothing and it can be easily turned off.

Ubuntu 14.10 will have the lens turned off by default. The whole thing with the shopping lens just seems like paranoia to me. The second you open a web browser your privacy is gone. Anyone that wants to track my surfing, buying habits, etc would be pretty bored real quick! :)

The Ubuntu aspects certainly do appeal to Clem along with a lot of other developers. Countless distros are based on Ubuntu, many of which are very popular. I am not ready to break out my tinfoil hat just yet! :lol: :lol: :lol:
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

Big +1 exploder...now where did i put my tinfoil hat :lol:
Previous1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Previous1 »

Anyone that wants to track my surfing, buying habits, etc would be pretty bored real quick!
Perhaps, but they're not bored by the targeted ads they'll serve you. :lol:
Tutorials | cynicaltux
Arch Linux i3wm, 64bit
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Security issues aside, I'm not interested in doing anyone's free marketing work.

Do you want to know where I shop? I'll prepare a full, itemised invoice complete with all applicable taxes. You can PayPal or Interac me the entire amount.

The marketing world.
Money for nothing.

:roll:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Perhaps, but they're not bored by the targeted ads they'll serve you. :lol:
Oh yeah! Fry's Electronics ads seem to come up on many sites I visit! But hey, I buy my stuff there anyway! :) :D :)
joejohnston3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joejohnston3 »

This is exactly why I switched to LMDE recently and have never been happier! LMDE is an amazing distro and you get the look and feel on LM16 but with a rolling release that allows me to put it on my users system and not worry about upgrading later. A perfect mix if you ask me!
Joe Johnston
Linux Mint KDE
"All the best people in life seem to like LINUX." Steve Wozniak
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I tried LMDE some time ago, I liked it except that I did not get updated software as often as I would have liked. Currently I am running Ubuntu 14.04 x64 on my HP 655 laptop and Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 x64 on my desktop. I wanted to try some of the newer desktop environments. I was bored with traditional desktops and with things changing so much these days I really wanted to take the time to try out these.

I like both Unity and Gnome Shell after giving them a fair chance. I wanted LTS releases to avoid re-installing all the time and the developers did a fine job with both of these releases. I had no idea that Gnome Shell was so customizable! Cinnamon is my favorite as far as a traditional desktop goes because it is such a good blend of the familiar and a modern desktop.

I am so glad that Gnome Shell came into existence, thanks to it's development all of these other new desktop environments have been developed and it sure makes things more interesting. There is no need to be concerned about elements of Ubuntu making it into Mint. The underlying system is the same but the features and desktop environment are very different.
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bobafetthotmail »

craig10x wrote:But it's the big company Canonical that is responsible for Linux becoming more mainstream...not that linux will ever be as big as windows...of course, i am sure you won't give them credit for that...you sound like the type that wants linux to remain a fringe, computer geeks os and not something the general public might appreciate...other then Chrome Os, Ubuntu is the only one that has a chance at becoming more widely used...
Linux on PCs is getting A BIT more light because Windows 8 is trash and too much people don't feel like buying a new PC (or prefer a tablet/mediacenter). But it's not anywhere near becoming more mainstream, it's just that more people think "ubuntu" when someone mentions linux.
It's not anywhere near even "niche" as far as adoption numbers go. XP still has at least an order of magnitude more users than all linux users combined.

A Linux OS that is widely adopted and appreciated by non-geeks and geeks alike is Android. It's still a linux distro, it has a userbase pool as big as Windows (even apps made by MS). It is widely sponsored by Google, but has to thank Apple for kickstarting the smartphone/tablet market.
Google is not constantly losing money with Android (it is actually making tons of profit), Canonical has yet to make any kind of profit out of Ubuntu.

PC sales are plummeting, if it keeps going like this within 5 years only gamers and people that actually need real power (photo/video/3D work) will still be buying a PC.
Do you like the fact that there are ads all over the mint forums? you don't seem to complain about that.... your "privacy" is being invaded right here :shock:
I don't even know how intelligent life can survive on the internet without Adblock Plus, Ghostery and Noscript.
why would you think canonical or amazon would have the slightest interest in the fact that i listen to certain stream radio talk shows or downloaded an mp3 song to my computer...or instant messaged someone on pidgin... or sent an e-mail to my friend...not that they have access to any of that anyway...but why should they give a hoot
The word "big data" is the buzzword.
Large databases of semi-anonymous info used to understand and react to the market.
In simple words, more better ways to sell you crap by analizing how zillions of humans act when together.
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

Very interesting post...it will never happen, but imagine if Canonical and Google worked together and the best features of Ubuntu and Chrome Os were incorporated together...that would be something...I'd love to see ubuntu laptops and computers in the stores here in the United States as we have chromebooks in all the stores here... and of course, Chrome Os is Linux...I understand there are some countries, globally, where ubuntu has had more of an impact but here in the U.S. it still hasn't really become even lightly mainstream, unfortunately :(

But it is very true what you said, when one thinks of linux now, at least people ARE starting to associate it with Ubuntu...it is kind of becoming the "coca cola" of linux... :D

I used linux mint for quite a long time (i always liked ubuntu but did not care for it's original desktop of 2 panels and fan out apps menu) but i really love Unity and that brought me back over to ubuntu...it's more mac like and i like that aspect...also the upgrade path works pretty good these days...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”