Most Important Change in Mint 17?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Most Important Change in Mint 17?

Post by tdockery97 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:05 am

You may recall recently the criticism that Mint received regarding our update procedures not providing enough security. In a stroke of pure genius, Clem and the Team have tweaked MintUpdate so that when new updates arrive, if there are security updates for the currently installed kernel, they are shown along with the new level 1-3 updates. They are unchecked by default, but at least you are notified (and able to check the boxes for installation) so that you can keep your system secure.

Peppermint OS 9

Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Most Important Change in Mint 17?

Post by Night Wing » Wed May 14, 2014 11:30 am

Nice to know. I'll keep this in mind from now on when I'm using Mint.
Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce 64 Bit

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Wed May 14, 2014 12:14 pm

Ohhhh this is obviously really good. Nice improvement here !
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed May 14, 2014 1:13 pm

That you can upgrade from 17 to 17.1, .2 and .3 without having to reinstall every 6 months--and that Mint team will make sure you get new version of important applications then also (as you're staying on the same Ubuntu base till the next LTS). I'm tired of reinstalling or gambling with in place upgrades :)

But thanks for sharing this one tdockery97, cool!

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:18 pm

xenopeek wrote:That you can upgrade from 17 to 17.1, .2 and .3 without having to reinstall every 6 months--and that Mint team will make sure you get new version of important applications then also (as you're staying on the same Ubuntu base till the next LTS). I'm tired of reinstalling or gambling with in place upgrades :)
Yes, I guess Mint will join the very few LTS only distros.
Peppermint OS 9

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits » Wed May 14, 2014 1:24 pm

tdockery97 wrote:You may recall recently the criticism that Mint received regarding our update procedures not providing enough security. In a stroke of pure genius, Clem and the Team have tweaked MintUpdate so that when new updates arrive, if there are security updates for the currently installed kernel, they are shown along with the new level 1-3 updates. They are unchecked by default, but at least you are notified (and able to check the boxes for installation) so that you can keep your system secure.
Erm....what is the impact of this? I'm trying 17RC and I see I have 6 level 5 updates (in a scary red colour) available but not selected. If they are security fixes should I not install them? And if I should install them then why don't they get pre-selected for me?

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Wed May 14, 2014 1:39 pm

tdockery97 wrote: Yes, I guess Mint will join the very few LTS only distros.
This is official actually !
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2613
The decision was made to stick to LTS bases. In other words the development team will be focused on the very same package base used by Linux Mint 17 for the next 2 years. It will also be trivial to upgrade from version 17 to 17.1, then 17.2 and so on. Important applications will be backported and we expect this change to boost the pace of our development and reduce the amount of regressions in each new Linux Mint release. This makes Linux Mint 17.x very important to us, not just yet another release, but one that will receive security updates until 2019, one that will receive backports and new features until 2016 and even more importantly, the only package base besides LMDE which we’ll be focused on until 2016.
mintybits wrote: Erm....what is the impact of this? I'm trying 17RC and I see I have 6 level 5 updates (in a scary red colour) available but not selected. If they are security fixes should I not install them? And if I should install them then why don't they get pre-selected for me?
It means that a new kernel with a security fix is available. You can install it but since it's a kernel it's always a little bit 'dangerous'. That's why you get this level 5 notification. If you want you can install it. The system is just warning you that it's not a 'as usual' update. It's a little bit more important and the probability of breakage is a little bit more important. :wink:
But in my opinion, you can go.
Last edited by killer de bug on Wed May 14, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:47 pm

Since it is not actually upgrading you to a different kernel it shouldn't have a negative impact on your system. After installing this security update I checked my ATI FGLRX and the driver was not impacted by the update.

Keep in mind that an actual upgrade to a new kernel will not show up in your updates. Only security updates for the current kernel will show. New kernels will only show up if you enable Level 4 and 5 updates.
Peppermint OS 9

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed May 14, 2014 2:31 pm

I have the RC images downloaded and running in VirtualBox. I'll explore some more. Looks solid so far.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Wed May 14, 2014 2:37 pm

xenopeek wrote:I have the RC images downloaded and running in VirtualBox. I'll explore some more. Looks solid so far.
I'm downloading now :D

Brahim Salem
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Brahim Salem » Wed May 14, 2014 2:39 pm

that's amazing guys :D :D Does Mint 17 have a new bootsplash and new themes???? :D :D

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:45 pm

Zorba wrote:that's amazing guys :D :D Does Mint 17 have a new bootsplash and new themes???? :D :D
There doesn't seem to be any real cosmetic changes to speak of, which is fine with me. Remember that this is an LTS release so I don't think you'll see many radical changes. I think it's more about stability this time around because it has to keep people happy for a long time.
Peppermint OS 9

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits » Wed May 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Yep, Mint 17 32-bit RC is running fine for me in VBox. Nice wallpapers...I like the snowy mountain at sunset.
Just applying those scary-level upgrades.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Wed May 14, 2014 3:55 pm

tdockery97 wrote: There doesn't seem to be any real cosmetic changes to speak of, which is fine with me. Remember that this is an LTS release so I don't think you'll see many radical changes. I think it's more about stability this time around because it has to keep people happy for a long time.
Mint-X theme was slightly changed. The green is darker :)

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:49 pm

xenopeek wrote:That you can upgrade from 17 to 17.1, .2 and .3 without having to reinstall every 6 months--and that Mint team will make sure you get new version of important applications then also (as you're staying on the same Ubuntu base till the next LTS). I'm tired of reinstalling or gambling with in place upgrades :)

But thanks for sharing this one tdockery97, cool!
The security thing is great, but this sticking to LTS is brilliant! Less work, fewer problems = happier users :-)

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:14 pm

KBD47 wrote:The security thing is great, but this sticking to LTS is brilliant! Less work, fewer problems = happier users :-)
I totally agree. I'll probably stick with Mint 17 for 2 years, then switch to the next LTS, Mint 18.
Peppermint OS 9

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Quick question, does anyone know where Clem wants feedback about the Mint 17 RC releases? The installer has the same Ubuntu bug where when you chose 'something else' during install, and you are installing from a usb stick, the installer sees your hard drive as sdb instead of sda, causing grub to screw up and leave you unbootable. I saw this with Ubuntu 14.04 and it shouldn't have been released like that. Mint may not be able to do anything about it, but would hate to see that stick around for 2 years with Mint.
The grub bug is mentioned in this article:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/bugs
Last edited by KBD47 on Wed May 14, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:09 pm

It's not just Ubuntu & Mint. I experienced the same thing when I tried to install SolydK from a USB stick. Definitely a weird bug.

I'm sure Clem will want the official feedback on the RC release announcement on the Blog.
Peppermint OS 9

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:15 pm

tdockery97 wrote:It's not just Ubuntu & Mint. I experienced the same thing when I tried to install SolydK from a USB stick. Definitely a weird bug.

I'm sure Clem will want the official feedback on the RC release announcement on the Blog.
Interesting, I recently installed SolydK from a usb stick on the same computer and didn't have that bug. But it shows up every time with Ubuntu 14.04, and of course now Mint 17. It doesn't appear to happen with Ubuntu 14.04 if you choose to replace the OS, or install alongside, only when you choose "something else" and install to a particular partition, then grub is missing from sda.
edit: If multi-booting the thing to do is install grub to sda1,2,3, etc., instead of the mbr. That's what I did, then went and updated grub on another install to pick up Mint so I could boot into it.
Using 32 bit Cinnamon, and it looks good so far.

skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by skywolfblue » Wed May 14, 2014 11:08 pm

killer de bug wrote:
tdockery97 wrote: Yes, I guess Mint will join the very few LTS only distros.
This is official actually !
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2613
The decision was made to stick to LTS bases. In other words the development team will be focused on the very same package base used by Linux Mint 17 for the next 2 years. It will also be trivial to upgrade from version 17 to 17.1, then 17.2 and so on. Important applications will be backported and we expect this change to boost the pace of our development and reduce the amount of regressions in each new Linux Mint release. This makes Linux Mint 17.x very important to us, not just yet another release, but one that will receive security updates until 2019, one that will receive backports and new features until 2016 and even more importantly, the only package base besides LMDE which we’ll be focused on until 2016.
I'm not sure quite what to think about this yet.

I'm glad that the LTS people will get more focus. It's probably definitely good news for Mint as a whole.
But on the other hand KDE has some pretty major improvements slated to come out later this year. I don't know if I can wait for two years!
Must. Have. New. Shiny!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”