Most Important Change in Mint 17?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Brahim Salem
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Most Important Change in Mint 17?

Post by Brahim Salem » Thu May 15, 2014 1:10 am

here we go again guys. I have downloaded and run Quiana from a USB drive and everything as I said is perfect except the bootsplash. I hate it and I even made one and my friend Thee Mahn (Ultimate Edition founder) has repostormed it for me and we published here http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=163634

Image Image Image
Why can't they just replace that ugly bootsplash :(

Can you tdockery97 talk to them about this :D

Myrmidon83
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Myrmidon83 » Thu May 15, 2014 4:51 am

skywolfblue wrote:
I'm glad that the LTS people will get more focus. It's probably definitely good news for Mint as a whole.
But on the other hand KDE has some pretty major improvements slated to come out later this year. I don't know if I can wait for two years!
Must. Have. New. Shiny!
If you add the Kubuntu backports ppa then you will still get the updated KDE, that's what I've been doing for Mint 13 the last few years.

caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 » Thu May 15, 2014 5:06 am

KBD47 wrote:Quick question, does anyone know where Clem wants feedback about the Mint 17 RC releases? The installer has the same Ubuntu bug where when you chose 'something else' during install, and you are installing from a usb stick, the installer sees your hard drive as sdb instead of sda, causing grub to screw up and leave you unbootable. I saw this with Ubuntu 14.04 and it shouldn't have been released like that. Mint may not be able to do anything about it, but would hate to see that stick around for 2 years with Mint.
The grub bug is mentioned in this article:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/bugs
I've seen it before and sometimes if you reboot it will reverse itself to normal, well it has in the past.
With the 17RC install I ignored the issue and sent grub to sdb which is my only HDD on this laptop
Since fstab doesn't use /dev/sd? any longer, this shouldn't be a problem I thought.
My system boots fine
And so far this RC is nice and stable
There is a bug in LOffice though, still. I reported it in Ubuntu weeks ago and Upstream too at LO
The Vintage slide doesn't render correctly in slideshow mode
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Thu May 15, 2014 9:02 am

Never had the bug with three physical kubuntu 14.04 installs, and 4 VM installs of u/k/xubuntu.

I should specify I always install to gpt disks, efi or legacy boot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Thu May 15, 2014 2:28 pm

Zorba wrote:

Beauty and stuff like this is highly subjective. For example, and I know I'm not the only one, I think that your splash boots are absolutely ugly and I would never use them nor would I see them included. On the other hand, I like the default one, even if I don't use it...
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RacerBG » Thu May 15, 2014 5:26 pm

I have very good feelings for Mint already and this is the official Cinnamon theme or? It is damn amazing! :)

Can't wait for the final version!
Proud of Linux Mint!

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Thu May 15, 2014 6:04 pm

I love the Ctl-Alt-End feature!!!
Now if I can figure out the hidden applets "feature" which refuses to show any applets I add to the Panel (Cinnamon).
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Distro-Don » Thu May 15, 2014 6:16 pm

killer de bug wrote:
Zorba wrote:

Beauty and stuff like this is highly subjective. For example, and I know I'm not the only one, I think that your splash boots are absolutely ugly and I would never use them nor would I see them included. On the other hand, I like the default one, even if I don't use it...
I agree whole hartedly.

nomko
Level 10
Level 10

Post by nomko » Fri May 16, 2014 3:02 am

killer de bug wrote:
Zorba wrote:
Agree with killer de bug! The default one is good enough for me and beside that, when my computer is booting i never pay attention to the bootscreen/bootsplash. I log in and that's when Mint has to work good enough for me.

I like the idea of sticking with Mint 17 (LTS) and keep that up-to-date and then jumping to the next Mint LTS version.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Fri May 16, 2014 8:06 am

The RC announcements are up! (Cinnamon http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2615 | MATE http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2616)

Sit down before you start reading the "what's new" for the Cinnamon edition; it's quite a read :wink: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_cinn ... atsnew.php

Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing » Fri May 16, 2014 8:47 am

xenopeek wrote:The RC announcements are up! (Cinnamon http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2615 | MATE http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2616)

Sit down before you start reading the "what's new" for the Cinnamon edition; it's quite a read :wink: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_cinn ... atsnew.php
Thanks for providing the links. I'm looking forward to July when I think the XFCE desktop environment will be released to the general pubic.
Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce 64 Bit

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Fri May 16, 2014 1:15 pm

Xenopeek, thanks for those links!
I have to say I'm impressed with how far Cinnamon has come. I suspect it will be the flagship as Mint moves forward. But MATE still feels like home to me. Two really great choices for Mint users, and the sticking with LTS importance can probably not be overstated. It will solidify Mint's reputation as a very serious and reliable desktop/laptop operating system well into the future.

skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by skywolfblue » Fri May 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Myrmidon83 wrote:
skywolfblue wrote:
I'm glad that the LTS people will get more focus. It's probably definitely good news for Mint as a whole.
But on the other hand KDE has some pretty major improvements slated to come out later this year. I don't know if I can wait for two years!
Must. Have. New. Shiny!
If you add the Kubuntu backports ppa then you will still get the updated KDE, that's what I've been doing for Mint 13 the last few years.
I may try that!

Is it stable to use that PPA? I was seeing some earlier threads here that people were having problems/difficulties with the 4.11/4.12 PPA updates.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Sat May 17, 2014 3:38 pm

skywolfblue wrote:
Is it stable to use that PPA? I was seeing some earlier threads here that people were having problems/difficulties with the 4.11/4.12 PPA updates.
I've had that PPA seriously bork my desktop in the past. I already lost my MDM login manager and had to reconfigure to LightDM and pull in the whole kubuntu-desktop meta package to solve the issue. I suggest you create a clone of your system before hand, or experiment within a virtual machine first. Run the update from the terminal by hand and carefully inspect what packages will be removed.

filliusnullius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by filliusnullius » Mon May 19, 2014 11:14 pm

I love good security. Instead of receiving security updates until 2019, why not forever? lol

Salute the development team!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”