Ubuntu 12.10 reached End of Life, and so did Mint 14

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Ubuntu 12.10 reached End of Life, and so did Mint 14

Post by Monsta »

On May 16 2014, Ubuntu 12.10 reached End of Life, and that means the support for Mint 14 has ended too.

It was the last non-LTS Ubuntu/Mint with 1.5 years of support.

Now Mint 14 users have the option to install either Mint 16 (which is supported only until July 2014 though) or Mint 17 (which is still in RC state). Mint 17 is probably a better option, and if you didn't hear the news yet, from now on all Mint releases will be based on LTS releases of Ubuntu.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 reached End of Life, and so did Mint 14

Post by karlchen »

Thank you, monsta,
for reminding us that Mint 14 "Nadia" has passed the end of her supported life.
Now Mint 14 users have the option to install either Mint 16 (which is supported only until July 2014 though) or Mint 17 (which is still in RC state).
Well, from my point of view, the most reasonable approach will be: go on using Nadia till the end of May. Then jump onto the next long term support train which means: install Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" final once it has been released at the end of May.

This approach will be fine for all Mate and Cinnamon users, because those two will be released first. :)

The users of KDE and xfce, however, will have another time gap: Linux Mint 17 xfce and Linux Mint 17 KDE will be released some time in June, roundabout a month after Cinnamon and Mate. :(

Personally I am glad to have opted for the 5-years-LTS edition 2 years ago. I.e. I will go on having Linux Mint 13 as my main system and simply allow Nadia to retire without having to decide on how to fill the vacancy immediately.

Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Yes, that is also what I recommend: the repository is still open and Firefox is up-to-date so I am not immediately worried about the safety of the Mint 14 Nadia users. I would recommend users of 14 & 15 to upgrade to Mint 17 when it gets released, because 16 will also see its end of support in July.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Monsta wrote:It was the last non-LTS Ubuntu/Mint with 1.5 years of support.
End of a chapter... :?
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

I just stick with the LTS releases of Mint. So I'm running Mint 13 now which is supported to April 2017.

Eventually I'll upgrade to Mint 17, supported to 2019.

That way I never have to worry over this stuff. This approach works great -- unless you're willing to pay the price for state-of-the-moment software.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Sticking to LTS is probably a smart move. But still it's a big change, and we don't know how the community will react to this...
That's a new chapter for Linux Mint...

If a new version of KDE or XFCE is out in July, does it mean what it will be in Linux Mint in 2 years? Or will it be included before that? :?
Do KDE users really want to wait 2 years?
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”