Praise for Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pixelznbits

Praise for Linux Mint

Post by pixelznbits »

I just wanted to take a moment to praise and give thanks to Linux Mint and everyone who makes it possible.

My father is about 60 years old and he is not very tech savvy. He uses facebook, shops on ebay, and takes pictures and what not, but I was always having to do tech support for him because he was picking up malware on his windows laptop. Once he didnt want to bother me, so he took it to a big chain store and paid a huge amount only to have them wipe and reinstall windows.

One day I decided that I would install Linux Mint for him to eliminate the malware problem. I was a little worried about him being comfortable with a new OS, and I know that it's hard to avoid having to use the terminal occasionally on a Linux box, but I gave him a quick tour.

Today I am visiting his home and needed to use his computer and I had forgotten that he was using Mint, and I just realized that it has been over a year, maybe two years since I have had to do anything to his computer. He does everything he likes to do. He has never asked any questions, or gotten any malware. NONE!

You have truly created a stable, user-friendly OS. Thank You.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Praise for Linux Mint

Post by DrHu »

Nice to hear and shows that if someone has an OS that works with the system one has (devices, graphics and desktop choice), and knows how to manage a system to update or install application, that they should have relatively little trouble using their system.

I would always say that if you use a computer for some general tasks
  • Email
  • Browsing the web
  • Creating documents with Libreoffice; menu, todo or other lists and so on..
  • Using Skype; that should still work
    --then should be no problem
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Praise for Linux Mint

Post by daveinuk »

+1 to that - and - I have done exactly the same thing on a mates laptop, after ages badgering him to try linux every time I was round at his house to fix his latest 'vista problem',
He has a 12 year old daughter who has been the main user since I installed LM13 on it, I haven't had to go back for any issue to date, that was 8 months ago at least . . . . .
I show my appreciation every time I upgrade with a donation, I'll be doing that soon when I upgrade my desktop :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”