I do not like Mint 17...any input?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
XP Refugee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XP Refugee » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:45 pm

Firstly, I could not get the damn thing to work with Skype. Pulse audio...found MANY MANY NON fans of this on web search yet it's intalled in 17 as if it's best. UNINSTALLED it, ODDLY I saw the mic was recognized and showing on the graph on an earlier BAD install of 17.
Secondly, I LIKE Seamonkey, yet the only version 17 will let me install is 2.26 which has virtually NO add ons. confused. Who makes an UPgrade version that has no add ons???
Thirdly the SOB is runnin hotter than 16 did by quite a bit. I was constantly amazed at how low cpu and temps were in 16.
Frankly if it were not for LxPup/Simplicity 14 I would not have ironed out the problems that I have thus far. At this point I'm giving up on 17 as I see it as a majorly flawed work. Bloated and trying to shove the newest down your throat, almost like Winblows.
Perhaps someone can tell me where I'm going wrong as I AM a total newbie to Linux. But I've spent over a month studying this and tried about 7 versions and I cannot waste ANY more time. I'm not getting work done on the computer that I WANT to do. (having to learn Seamonkey and chromium as well as Firefox to some degree is a real time sucker. Plus I've got bookmarked info site pages on 3 browsers on two computers, it's just quicksand)

I lost XP on this laptop due to all this or I'd just go back to it and use LxPup which WoRKS for me.

any helpful input would be appreciated as I can't help but wonder if I'm doing something wrong or missing something. I loved 16, but 17 seems very unlike it.

tadaensylvermane
Level 2
Level 2

Re: I do not like Mint 17...any input?

Post by tadaensylvermane » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Firstly, I could not get the damn thing to work with Skype
Blame Microsoft for this, not Mint. Mint doesn't make the Skype binary or are they able to fix it when it's broke. I highly recommend Google Hangouts. Skype has always been bad on linux in my experience and only getting worse.
Pulse audio...found MANY MANY NON fans of this on web search yet it's intalled in 17 as if it's best.
Form your own opinion after using it. I and many find it works quite well. Gnome Shell is also disliked by a large number of people, but it's not enough to outweigh the people that like it. That combined with people always complain when something goes wrong, but how often do you find anything on the internet praising anything out there. It's rare, they are happy with it so whats the big deal. Most people don't care to take the time to say "it works, I love it."
Thirdly the SOB is runnin hotter than 16 did by quite a bit.
With updated software for these measurements it is more likely that before it wasn't reporting the proper temperatures. Temperatures are a finicky business on any operating system.
At this point I'm giving up on 17 as I see it as a majorly flawed work. Bloated and trying to shove the newest down your throat
No one made you upgrade. Really if this computer you were using is an XP machine I think Mint 13 is what you should be using. It is the former LTS, will be supported till 2017 I believe. 17 isn't bloated, but depending on which one you are using may be to much for your XP computer to handle, not bloat but underpowered machine. Another suggestion is to try something that has almost no bloat and install what you want... maybe Xubuntu, else wait till the XFCE version of Mint comes out. Mint is Ubuntu at the core though so they are interchangeable mostly, use the same repos and such.
Perhaps someone can tell me where I'm going wrong as I AM a total newbie to Linux.
Based on this post alone your problem is you came into linux thinking it was a free windows replacement. It isn't, end of story. The same software won't always work or be available. Everything is done differently with linux of any kind. They make it user friendly but if you are stuck on windows then there is little hope until you open your mind to a different way of doing things. Google Chrome is available from Google,
andhaving to learn Seamonkey and chromium as well as Firefox to some degree is a real time sucker
this about chromium is a bit ridiculous since chromium is chrome. It is googles open source version that they use to test features that usually end up in chrome. The version numbers are almost always identical as well. What are you having to relearn? I can't speak to Seamonkey as I never used it. However generally speaking a 1 size fits all program is usually much more problematic than a few small ones that each do their job well. For email / calendar and such I personally love Evolution. Browser for me is Chrome.

Take a step back. Realize it is not free windows and it does not work like windows. Once you get there... it falls into place and you will come to a point where you start wondering what you were wasting your time on before. Maybe Mint isn't for you. There are a few hundred different distros out there, many catering to the true beginner. ZorinOS comes to mind as being the most windows like. In the end though if you can't open your mind to it, you won't get anywhere.

*EDIT* On a personal note I was in the exact same place you are now about a year and half ago. After a couple weeks of really getting into it I found that the windows way is veritably stupid. I'll never go back to it willingly. It's almost mind numbing how ridiculously laid out things are in windows vs linux. Cryptic registry < Config file that tells you what it does.... not a hard choice for me.

joesoap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joesoap » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:12 pm

My input is even my wife loves Mint 17!
That says an awful lot about how simple it is ... yes the wife too. 8)

CajunLanMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CajunLanMan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:27 pm

I am donating approximately 40 computers to charity, because they are too slow for what I need at my office, came with Windows XP, but are all still in good running condition.

Despite being a mix of makes and models, Linux mint runs flawlessly on all but one. (Wifi isn't working on one old Gateway laptop).

I've used Skype on several of the laptops. The webcam and mics all worked by default with zero config.

When running MATE or XFCE, these machines run faster, and are more stable than they ever were on Windows.

I even have a strange config with an Asus-G73 laptop, where Windows 8.1 won't even work properly without me finding an old Windows 7 driver (L & R speakers won't play at the same time as the built in "subwoofer") yet under Linux Mint 17, they all play together, by default, with zero config.

I'm saying all of this to make sure you understand that Linux may only work well on 39 out of 40 computers. I'm still too noobish myself to know anything about configuring hardware that Linux can't do automatically.

That being said, it is possible that your hardware simply isn't going to play nice with Mint 17. I'll tell you what though. If there's anyone who can help you out, it's the wonderful people in this forum. Come at it with an open mind, and a positive attitude, if you want to get far.

AlanWalker

Post by AlanWalker » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:32 pm

CajunLanMan wrote:I am donating approximately 40 computers to charity, because they are too slow for what I need at my office, came with Windows XP, but are all still in good running condition.
That being said, it is possible that your hardware simply isn't going to play nice with Mint 17. I'll tell you what though. If there's anyone who can help you out, it's the wonderful people in this forum. Come at it with an open mind, and a positive attitude, if you want to get far.
That was a nice note!

I am sure I speak for all here when I say "Thanks!"

Regards,

FirebirdTN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FirebirdTN » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:49 pm

Not sure what to make of the OP's post. New user, one post. Is he/she asking for help, or just here to rant?

I am also an XP refugee. However, my experience is the direct opposite of the OPs. Strange. I LOVE mint. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Now does EVERYTHING work perfectly for me? Nope. Small example, on my laptop in XP I could "double tap" in the upper left corner of my touchpad to disable it. Doesn't work in Mint. Also, I tried Skype when I ran Mint 13 for a month and it crashed left and right. I could not make it reliable. So I just ditched it. One crappy application does not equal a bad OS. I have since upgraded to Mint 17, and I am not even going to bother with Skype. I only needed it for one use anyway.

I am actually quite surprised just how WELL things actually work. Especially a lot of Windows apps through wine. And virtualbox; LOVE IT. I am already familiar with, and have used Firefox, Thunderbird, Putty, vnc, filezilla, etc, etc, as I used all those on Windows.

I actually could not believe all my hardware actually worked out of the box: networking, wifi, bluetooth, webcam, touchpad....hell the computer even works fine on my docking station, or undocked. My printer installed without a hitch and works wonderfully. On my IDENTICAL spare laptop with Win7, I can print to the same printer after installing the driver AS LONG AS I NEVER suspend, turn off, or reboot the PC, because if I do, the printer goes eternally "offline" and I have to reinstall the driver to get it back to printing again, until the NEXT time I reboot, shut down, close the lid, etc.

Again, not sure if you are really looking for help, or just venting frustration, but the only actual constructive advice I can give: Your Linux experience is going to greatly depend on how compatible the hardware components in your PC is. As far as the software differences between what you are used to in Windows vs. what is available in Linux...well you might find that another distribution of Linux may be better suited to your needs. You might also find that Linux just isn't for you, and you may need to look at going back to Windows, or maybe the Mac route.

-Alan

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:58 pm

Sure - One of the nice things about Linux is that there are hundreds of distros - "something for everybody" if you will... find an OS that you DO like and use the pants off it...

Hasta la vista baby...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Umbra Polaris
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Umbra Polaris » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:05 pm

tadaensylvermane wrote:
After a couple weeks of really getting into it I found that the windows way is veritably stupid. I'll never go back to it willingly. It's almost mind numbing how ridiculously laid out things are in windows vs linux. Cryptic registry < Config file that tells you what it does.... not a hard choice for me.
after few days of playing with various distros, i came to the same conclusion :D
Tri-boot : Mint 17 / Kali / Windows 8.1.1

turtlebay777
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay777 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Skype works fine on my PC running Mint 17 Mate x32. Just got off the voip with a friend who is in Thailand. He could have been sitting in my front room, excellent clarity.

patrice4419
Level 1
Level 1

Post by patrice4419 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:06 pm

If you don't like MInt 17, well no loss then. But as I too have found out all Linux distros need a bit of savvy. Hands on from time to time and that makes it interesting. Windows is OK but for lazy people who want everything done for them, something the bad boys know only too well and come visiting now and again. I started like most with Windows and got as far as XP but knowing it was to be ditched I went over to Linux proper. Having messed about with it for a year previously I finally downloaded Mint 15, then 16 and as soon as 17 was available did a clean install. Ran all the back-ups and scanner, printer (networked now), run two accounts all without a single glitch.
Skype ran immediately, the webcamera ran immediately. I think though that the more hands-on style can put people off. Initially at least. But as has been pointed out (many times) this forum and googling solves 90% of the problems but you have to search. As Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu you can also use their forum(s). If you can speak and read French or German, they also have some interesting forums. The best thing of all - most of software for use is FREE! Where can you get a Dreamweaver like prog for nothing? Video and photo correction/production software? Or several DVD/CD burning programs? All those would cost a bomb in Windows. Build your own Firewall with ufw, easy and effective. And finally if you are a paranoid person, COMODO Anti-Virus is free too (although you don't really need it). Stick with it, don't give up so easily, there are enough people already who think the world owes them a living. And if your post was just a rant - well cool down, this is not the place for it.
(Penguin PocketWee running Mint 17.1 Cinnamon, Intel Dual Core i5-4250U 1.3Ghz (2.6 Turbo), 8Gb DDR3, mSATA SSD 250Gb, wireless dual band.
The router (D-Link DS3580L) with USB slot.

Central Scrutinizer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Central Scrutinizer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:29 am

oh I"m stubborn, which helps sometimes. Currently I'm on Skype with my girlfriend in Thailand and watching her at work NO PROBLEMS. Forget how I did it. I think purging Pulse was what did it.
The browser thing is just an additional straw. I'd been with Opera since around 97 or so and really liked it. Found out SeaMonkey can be setup very similar. Only prob on the Mint 17 machine is it REFUSES to install 2.12 which is all I need and has a theme I LIKE. Keeps upgrading to 2.26 which has virtually NO themes, save a few really butt ugly ones. So on that puter it's Chrome, which frankly I don't like as it's just not got the customizing edge. It DOES run a LOT LESS CPU than other things. Opera had got SO BAD it just hogged the CPU, hung up and ran in the backround even after i'd turned it off, stuff like that, Then to they quit on us. THEY had stuff like speed dial eons ago. But SeaMonkey runs on my LxPup/XP laptop very nicely and I can keep organized. I can't imagine them putting out a new version with no themes. Every one of em said "not for YOUR version", I couldn't even put a speed dial on it.

So...the weeks of confusion over learning how Linux does stuff (why are there SO man bin? and share and usr? seems like three times as many directories as Windows) PLUS having to reorder my thinking changing browsers so I could organize and find stuff took it's toll. I mean I'd be bookmarking possible solution urls then forget WHICH dang browser on which linux what I was looking for was ON. I have to say I'm really amazed at LxPup. I love being able to adjust the color. Stuff is still too pink on M17. I just adjust individual pics I use as desktop. OH and on LxPup I have FOUR desktops with a different pic for each so I know which i'm on easily. Like that too. Wish I could get Caja onto LxPup and Mirage.

true dat about THE Google. It supplied me most of the fixes from forums like this one.

the point about a "free windows" is out in left field. Nothing to do with it. Frankly I've been wanting to get away from windows for a few years now. Money is irrelevant. I just MISS stuff like a file manager that tells me the size of the photo, the date, dimension and even camera just by mousing over the file.

Just gonna be a while to get all the stuff learned. Took me a few years with XP too. I lived in the file manager there. Always open and minimized. Very confusing to try to do that with this structure.

Mac? NEVER, never ever again. The main thing I miss about Windows is hundreds of programs so I could choose one that was PERFECT for ME. I'm not much used to just picking from a FEW that are offered. Like I'm still using Irfanview thru WINE. Is that other program that lets you use windows programs as good or perhaps better/less confusing? I'll get to it eventually. Y'all are gonna find out about how much fun change is after you get around 60 :)
thanks

Ceilidh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ceilidh2 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:58 am

Let's start from from scratch.

In spite of your attitude, which I find appalling, we are quite willing to help you with your problem. So how about you help us a little bit and tell us what hardware you are running, and what distro you have installed.

Or are you just a troll?
"Take it easy, but take it." Woody Guthrie

norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:13 am

XP Refugee wrote:
......I AM a total newbie to Linux....... .....I loved 16, but 17 seems very unlike it.
How do you reconcile those two statements?
The folk on here are VERY helpful, but don't take kindly to this sort of OP.
It's over a week now since you posted it, so I have to echo the previous post.
Where are you, and do you really need help?

Brahim Salem
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Brahim Salem » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:34 am

1- for skype try my tutorial here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1482

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:06 am

Central Scrutinizer wrote: Found out SeaMonkey can be setup very similar. Only prob on the Mint 17 machine is it REFUSES to install 2.12 which is all I need and has a theme I LIKE. Keeps upgrading to 2.26 which has virtually NO themes, save a few really butt ugly ones.
Central Scrutinizer, If you are trying to install 2.12 (64 bit), try 2.12 (32 bit) instead.
(although, between 2.12 and 2.23 there were some important security upgrades.)
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:21 pm

Neither does Magic Jack work in Mint, but I'd not toss it just for that. My Magic Jack can work direct from my router instead. You might like Kubuntu instead. I keep it and Mint both on my computer since they seem the best of both KDE and Gnome desktops out today.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

turtlebay777
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay777 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:00 pm

One rant produces 15 responses. Some kind of record?

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:57 pm

XP Refugee:

So far, you have posted twice. You necroposted and ranted on the other thread that's almost a year old (read the forum rules), and you have yet to reply back to this one which contain three non-related issues that should have been posted in their own separate respective threads in the first place (again, read the forum rules). You are giving us the impression that your only purpose of signing up to this forum is to to troll members into feeding your flame bait.

As others have pointed out, members here are willing to help you with your problems. But do cut down with the drama and attitude, otherwise you won't get a lot of helpful replies.

I suggest you repost the three issues you mentioned in their own threads, devoid of the rant/negative attitude/drama that you did here.

I don't see this thread progressing with the kind of tone at the beginning. Thread locked and moved to Chat about Linux Mint.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”