Linux Mint after 2016! What do you expect?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

What direction Linux Mint move on after 2016?

Linux Mint would remain based on Ubuntu
34%
Linux Mint would base itself on Debian
49%
Linux Mint would become a totally independent distribution
17%

Total votes: 65

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Linux Mint after 2016! What do you expect?

Post by Fred Barclay »

xenopeek wrote:I've recently installed Debian Jessie.
Was that for your dad? http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &p=1050325
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Yup. Also installed it here in a VM.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Canonical seems less interested in the desktop lately and more focused on mobile and other systems. I don't think there has been many improvements/changes to the desktop version of Ubuntu in awhile--someone correct me if I'm wrong about that. We never know when Canonical might do something to completely wreck Ubuntu on the desktop. Unity was a disaster in the eyes of many. So I don't have great confidence in Canonical who seems to like to change things for the heck of it. Ubuntu likes to go their own strange direction at times away from the rest of Linux.
I figure Debian is Mint's fall back base if things go south with Ubuntu. Debian is reliable, probably never going away, stable, and I believe Mint could go full Debian tomorrow and most users would not be even slightly inconvenienced. Mint has already taken a more cautious--and IMO wise--update path than Ubuntu.
Things are good for now, yet if Canonical/Ubuntu goes crazy tomorrow Mint will be just fine on top of Debian. But going it alone would be a disaster. Having someone else deal with all those packages, and having a solid base to build these beautiful desktops and other features on is very important.

dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

Fred Barclay wrote:...
Looks sort of like your avatar, dXTC. :D
An admittely amusing coincidence, upon second glance. My daughter watched Max & Ruby for years, so that's the only "Rosalinda" I know. (For those who have never seen Looney Toons, my avatar is Millicent, from the Bugs Bunny classic "Rabbit Romeo".)

As for the poll, I picked Ubuntu. But lately I've wondered how Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon compares with LMDE 2 Cinnamon from a casual-user standpoint, in case the Mint team is forced toward Debian. Guess I know what I'll be messing around with this weekend... :)
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

killer de bug wrote:Even if I don't believe it, I still dream that LM will be directly based on Debian and not in Ubuntu anymore ;)
Nothng wrong with dreaming. I'm just curious what you see that is so special about Debian from a user perspective.

Title says Linux Mint after 2016. Really? Only a year from now?

In my observation of open source, it takes decades for software to mature. Lots of people have tried Linux at some point in the past and they're only now switching because they're finally getting the results they've always needed. I don't think they'll wait for another decade when what they really all need is launch their favorite apps for everyday tasks. What is so wrong about Ubuntu-based Linux?

Open source by it's nature is not about meeting deadlines. It's about people taking their time without any obligation to produce something right away. It's also about adventure, experimenting on new things, not necessarily finishing what one started. It's not a coincidence open source devs choose to introduce another distro, rather than contribute to the enhancement of existing ones. That's too boring a task. Introducing a new distro will at least give them their proverbial 15 minutes of glory. When the hype is over, it usually dawns on them that it's not really that great. Then unsung heroes take over the job they started and the original devs are embarking on another "leading edge" tech. Rinse and repeat. :)

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

This sort of thing is why I'm a bit wary of Ubuntu and pleased that Mint also has a Debian version:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2974148/ ... d-die.html
That is a huge and central piece of Desktop software for Ubuntu to let wither and die. I would not want to place all my bets on Ubuntu, especially when it comes to the desktop.

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

Not a techie so really don't care.

I would dream, connecting to a iPhone or iPad without having to jump through hoops. Don't expect this to ever happen.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1982 »

I would like that Linux Mint Debian Edition will be the main mint distro for the next year 8) , instead of ubuntu distro based.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

lexon wrote:Not a techie so really don't care.

I would dream, connecting to a iPhone or iPad without having to jump through hoops. Don't expect this to ever happen.

L
You can blame Apple for this. Apple goes out of their way to prevent interoperability.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

mrdachshund86
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrdachshund86 »

While the Ubuntu base has been very good, I do think that Mint will eventually move to Debian, since Debian is a little less of a moving target. I feel sorry for the devs in 2016, having to catch up with 2 years of Canonical craziness to release LM 18 if that's the base they're going with.

I do think LMDE will be seen less as a "secondary" option and more of one of the "main" ones. Right now, on linuxmint.com, it takes a bit of poking around to even realize that LMDE exists. It would be nice if LMDE got a nice prominent place on the main page.

mrdachshund86

Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1982 »

mrdachshund86 wrote:While the Ubuntu base has been very good, I do think that Mint will eventually move to Debian, since Debian is a little less of a moving target. I feel sorry for the devs in 2016, having to catch up with 2 years of Canonical craziness to release LM 18 if that's the base they're going with.

I do think LMDE will be seen less as a "secondary" option and more of one of the "main" ones. Right now, on linuxmint.com, it takes a bit of poking around to even realize that LMDE exists. It would be nice if LMDE got a nice prominent place on the main page.

mrdachshund86
I am not a technician and i use LMDE : it is easy and stable. LMDE is, in my opinion and with what i have seen, ready to be used by beginners :) I hope that what you said will arrived.

BluuzMoBeeL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BluuzMoBeeL »

Linux Mint team to consider taking in "refugee OS's" and offer "IT asylum" to the likes of unsupported Win XP and possibly as far as Win 7.1 when MS dumps it to. ( There is no way I am going past 7.1 IF my Excel work is compromised due to things too much to explain and not part of the spirit of this thread.)

Seriously, as a relative newbie to this migration, I have 2 computers on at the same time, 1 is XP because of my Excel projects.
WINE "does not work for me, maybe never will", scenario.
The other PC is Mint / Exclusive Linux. I really can't seem to find anything constructive to do except if the XP pc crashes, then I have back-up to communicate at the very least.

My "work" with computers is totally based on Excel and what I do with it.
Libra has not been able to help due to complex VBA macro workings and functions.
The above is a illustration of where I'm at.

Perhaps then Mint may try a Emulation sector, with real support and no need to be savvy, we are not all able to understand or have the time to "program".
When one buys a motor car, the manufacturer of the motor car does not expect the new owner to have a degree in Mechanical Engineering. ( the new owners should at least know how to drive a manual, check the oil and change a tire, at least.
Well, same goes with Linux option of things. We,( migrants/newbies) like the "car", but we are not software engineers.

JeZ-l-Lee
Level 3
Level 3

*Ubuntu Really Bad Now, What Will Happen To Linux Mint 18?

Post by JeZ-l-Lee »

*Ubuntu Really Bad Now, What Will Happen To Linux Mint 18?

Hi,

Ran Linux for years with periodic moves back to each new Windows.
Was using Windows 10 for about a month but grew tired of it.
I am currently using Linux Mint 17.2 K.D.E. 64Bit.

I have been following the *Ubuntu distro scene constantly.
The current 15.04 and soon to be released 15.10 are just awful.
To many problems to list in this forum post.

I understand Linux Mint 18 L.T.S. will be based on *Ubuntu 16.04 L.T.S.
I am greatly concerned that this will be a disaster for Linux Mint 18.
I use either K.D.E. or X.F.C.E. versions based on the power of the hardware being used.

Do the Linux Mint developers have any comments about the above?
Any future strategy to move away from *Ubuntu?
Thank you! Nice distro!

Jesse

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Re: *Ubuntu Really Bad Now, What Will Happen To Linux Mint 1

Post by Reorx »

Some forum speculation on the topic >>> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=172413
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: *Ubuntu Really Bad Now, What Will Happen To Linux Mint 1

Post by Fred Barclay »

And the good news is--not only do we have LMDE 2, but the Mint 17,x series will be supported until 2019, which gives the devs time to make any changes necessary.
(Please note--I'm not suggesting that Mint 18 won't be out till 2019, I'm just saying that if Ubuntu 16,04 was truly a disaster, Mint won't be affected immediately.)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

As for comments from the developers there are none yet as they aren't working on Linux Mint 18 yet. They are currently working on Linux Mint 17.3 with expected release date towards end of year. After that they'll start working first on Cinnamon and Mint tools improvements for a next release and start exploring their options. Will they use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS as a package base for Linux Mint 18? Will they use systemd init? And so on. But nothing is set in stone. That said, we've generally been happy with the Ubuntu package base to build Linux Mint on. If you aren't we also have Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) which is built on the Debian package base.

You say "To many problems to list in this forum post" but I've not seen the bug reports on Ubuntu 15.04 or 15.10 that are affecting tens of thousands of users in such a way that 16.04 LTS (which isn't even in development yet) would be "a disaster for Linux Mint 18".

Perhaps you're specifically speaking about KDE Plasma 5 which is used since Kubuntu 15.04? Yes, if you don't like KDE Plasma 5 you'll eventually have to find a KDE 4 fork to use. Just like the folks that didn't like KDE 4 have their own KDE 3 fork (Trinity).

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp »

Clem has stated that Mint would be based on Ubuntu, but LMDE is a good back up IF things ever went really wrong some how. Don't get me wrong I love LMDE and would like to see Mint based on it as it's main edition, but am just glad to have it. Ubuntu with all it's controversy is IMO because it really like's to come up with it's own in house software and solutions. And they have the resources to do it. So it tends to rock the boat with all it's ideas, but software needs this kind of development, to move ahead.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint »

xenopeek wrote: You say "To many problems to list in this forum post" but I've not seen the bug reports on Ubuntu 15.04 or 15.10 that are affecting tens of thousands of users in such a way that 16.04 LTS (which isn't even in development yet) would be "a disaster for Linux Mint 18".

This is the internet. You can claim anything you want.

mideal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mideal »

Depends on the EuroJackpot.
Yoga 910 16GB/1TB running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64Bit

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”