Thank you to those supporting others here!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Thank you to those supporting others here!

Post by rambo919 »

altair4

for helping the rest of us get samba working again
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Thumbs up to gm10 who just offered a perfect solution to my post.
Also a tip of the hat to Fred Barclay for his efforts with the firejail group.

There is not room in a post to mention all the members supporting others individually,
but what I can say about this group
YOU ROCK
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Thank you for those who helped me in the forum

Post by Seadreamer »

I'd like to second that, the people on these forums are wonderful. I have learned more from the forums than from any other source. Thank you!
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

bethm,

You're quite welcome! I'm obviously speaking for myself (and probably for others) that we enjoy helping out.

:P
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

+1
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone »

I suck at tech support so I support LM in another way:

https://i.imgur.com/c3BBUHe.png
tekklinux

Post by tekklinux »

Definitely - globally, Linus Torvalds and for Mint, Clem. In my short time here, gm10 has maybe helped me most. What's interesting is that I began using Linux years ago with Ubuntu and so with their forum - I still turn to both Ubuntu and Stack Exchange for general Linux help - but unlike the friendly forums here at Mint, they will often belittle and demean those who thank them!
:wink:
CaptainKor96

Post by CaptainKor96 »

This community is top notch and is a prime example of people helping other people just for the sake of it. I applaud this organization and am forever indebted to the pioneers who have made this dream possible for millions of people. Thank you Linux Mint team and Linux Mint community!! You guys rock!!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

CaptainKor96 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:16 pm This community is top notch and is a prime example of people helping other people just for the sake of it. I applaud this organization and am forever indebted to the pioneers who have made this dream possible for millions of people. Thank you Linux Mint team and Linux Mint community!! You guys rock!!
I think the moderators go a long way to helping that along too.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

Who is the creator of https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html ?
I used many of his tutorials to solve my problems.
When I post a possible solution to a question I'd like to give credit to the source of the solution, not just a link to the website.
A thank you to all who answered to my posts!
Last edited by farkas on Mon May 13, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

farkas wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:24 am Who is the creator of https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... albox.html. ?
Pjotr.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

I had inkling but I wasn't sure.
Thanks!
PS.
I edited my post to point to his home page while you posted your reply.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
Grarea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grarea »

I just wanted to put a thank you to everyone who answers questions on here.
It helps so many people who have the same problem. It is fantastic.

I have had direct help and also looked up solutions that had been answered for someone else.

I wish I had known about Linux years ago.
I am looking forward to learning more slowly and answering a few questions myself.

I recently swapped my drives about making Linux my main.
I had to fresh install Mint and windows.
I can't believe I put up with the faff that is Windows for so long.
I just didn't realise there was an option.

I have already given someone an ISO and talking to someone else about it.

So, thank you all for all of your help.
Ryzen 5 4300GE | 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 |
TX550M | ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2 | Evo 860 1TB |
Aerocool 500 case Noctua NH-P1
OveS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by OveS »

I would also like to say thank you to everyone in this forum for all the excellent support, especially JeremyB, Pjotr and gm10, among others. It is this kind of community that makes Linux Mint great!

In the beginning (February this year), the main issues were with the touchpad and wifi.

Together with snippets of advice found in other places, I think my Ideapad 530S-14ARR has finally reached a perfectly functional level. It feels fast, smooth and snappy, and works as you would expect from a fairly new machine. A joy to use.

Newish hardware needed newer kernel, latest linux-firmware (August) and extra drivers outside the standard Mint distribution. Below is the usual inxi -Fxz output in order to show the levels of different components as they are now.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: ideapad Kernel: 5.2.0-13-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3 
           Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 81H1 v: Lenovo ideapad 530S-14ARR serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0J40700 WIN serial: <filter> UEFI: LENOVO v: 8PCN55WW 
           date: 06/25/2019 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 34.0 Wh condition: 39.9/45.5 Wh (88%) model: CPT-COS L17C4PB0 status: Discharging 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 
           L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 31939 
           Speed: 1368 MHz min/max: 1600/2000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1515 2: 1386 3: 1368 4: 1366 5: 1368 6: 1368 
           7: 1368 8: 1368 
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] vendor: Lenovo driver: amdgpu 
           v: kernel bus ID: 03:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.32.0 5.2.0-13-generic LLVM 9.0.0) 
           v: 4.5 Mesa 19.3.0-devel (git-2d79925 2019-08-23 bionic-oibaf-ppa) direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 03:00.1 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 03:00.6 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.2.0-13-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Lenovo driver: ath10k_pci 
           v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
           IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Atheros type: USB driver: btusb bus ID: 1-4:2 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 63.76 GiB (26.7%) 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: HFM256GDHTNG-8310A size: 238.47 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 28.71 GiB used: 14.93 GiB (52.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5 
           ID-2: /home size: 163.93 GiB used: 47.72 GiB (29.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p6 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 42.2 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 42 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 275 Uptime: 1d 1h 27m Memory: 7.34 GiB used: 3.16 GiB (43.0%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 
           Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20 inxi: 3.0.32 
--
Minisforum X400 (AMD Ryzen 4350G, 16/512GB)
MacBook Air M1 --- iPad Air 5th Gen
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB (NextcloudPi server)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

OveS wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:15 am I would also like to say thank you to everyone in this forum for all the excellent support, especially JeremyB, Pjotr and gm10, among others. It is this kind of community that makes Linux Mint great!
It's thank yous that make it all worthwhile.
Greencedar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Greencedar »

I have been helped by many of the regular posters, such as catweazel, zeenopeek, JeremyB, Pjotr, and many others, by listening to their answers to other people.

Thank you!
Greencedar
creation

Post by creation »

Personally i would like to say my congrats to ALL of you (users, moderators, admins and so on) for having a non toxic environment 8)
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob »

Surely there can be no drama on TV that can compare to some of the epic stories that unfold in these forums. New users needing large quantities of explanation, understanding, examples, and patience being supported and encouraged by other posters. Despite false starts and diversions being eventually brought to a successful outcome.
These recent threads, one following on from the other, have been fascinating to follow
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=307095
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=307295
Congratulations to all those who have given so generously of their time and expertise
Go Steady, but keep going
Leminway
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Leminway »

Congratulations to the Linux Mint team !
I am surprised at the easiness and handling of the Linux Mint OS which I installed to remove windows 7 on an "old" 32 bits notebook. No bugs or snags so far, handy and practicle opensource software for most personal use and an economy in the use of CPU. My notebook which used to freeze at any moment for any kind of use like moving the pad now functions smoothly. The only thing that demands attention is the parameters of the firewall. Congratulations for the team for such a state of the art OS. I hope that the end of windows 7 will open the eyes of many people about the reliability of Linux and especially Mint. I'll make a donation as soon as T can to support the project. :wink:
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

creation wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 am Personally i would like to say my congrats to ALL of you (users, moderators, admins and so on) for having a non toxic environment 8)
+1.
(Actually + ten zillion!)

I, myself, have become so fed up with the BS, posturing and generally toxic behavior on so many open-source software fora that I have stopped participating alltogether. Which is a disgrace and a crying shame.

In contrast, the Mint fora - all of them - are a breath of fresh air. Everyone is polite, kind, and understanding of those of us who don't yet have our Ph.D's in Linux. :wink:
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”