Thank you to those supporting others here!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jim Hauser

Re: Thank you to those supporting others here!

Post by Jim Hauser »

It would be impossible for me to thank all those who have helped me in the last year and a half.But thanks anyway! :D

Most of my problems have been solved by reading and not posting.

If you want to help out consider running a small torrent farm if you have room and a little extra bandwidth. It is difficult for me to help with individual problems but it is possible for me to download the Mint ISO files and keep them on a second drive. Every night I crank up KTorrent and spit out the torrents while sleeping. I also like to post screenshots on Facebook along with details about the OS. My editing days are far behind but someone has to "sell" and deliver the goods.

Thanks again folks... Cheers!

Jim
Last edited by Jim Hauser on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
larry316

Post by larry316 »

Thanks to everyone who has helped me. I was using an old dell desktop running windows 7 xp. It got corruupted. Iwas ready to get ri was ready to get rid of it. Someone suggested installing Linux. I thought Linux was great. I would still be using it but we had a power surge which caused a motherboard or power supply failure. Someone suggested I could get a cheap chrome book and get a variation of Linux.Thanks again to everyone on the team.
reddot

Post by reddot »

i want to thank Monsta, for removing an annoying icon/indicator in mate-netspeed, im a heavy mate user and not being able to remove a simple icon for the applet drove me crazy.

thanks Monsta
texbrew

Post by texbrew »

Fred Barclay wrote:Flemur and especialy Habitual just helped me join the Arch Linux forums. Thanks, guys!
Wow! I didn't know there was another Arch Linux geek on this forum. Did you install Arch?

I installed Arch on a USB thumb drive and in VirtualBox and on an eldery PC. Mostly for the challenge and to learn more about linux. Not for the faint of heart, but do-able, and fun.

I'm hesitant to admit this, because it reveals an obsession, but I may not be alone in that. I now have Mint 17.2 Cinnamon running on four machines, not counting Arch as mentioned above, and Debian on a couple others. Mint is by far the easiest to use, I think for someone who is new to linux.

But I digress... this thread is about thanking people. So thank you, Fred, Mint Team, and knowledgeable forum members. Great site you have here.

tex
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

texbrew wrote: Wow! I didn't know there was another Arch Linux geek on this forum. Did you install Arch?
Yep! More info coming your way in a PM. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

I am adding my shout of thanks to xenopeek, who responded to my very first post / question on this forum. I hadn't even installed Mint yet. Then reddot, who spent countless hours with me as I was installing and panicking at every line I did not understand. Especially when I got the newbie sense of grandiosity and wanted to set my own partitions, well, that was something to behold and it felt like:
reddot
duneelliot
richmorehave
prestonR
davinuk
jungle_boy; were my personal 'knights in Minty armour' throughout the process. Thanks and thanks guys!!

If any one want to take a break and have an 'OMG! what a bloomin' noob!' moment, check out my very second post, http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=206073
It took several pages and the above mentioned 'knights in Minty armour' to get everything copacetic.

And the Mint seal of awards to so many others: Fragezeichen and Cosmo, soothing the external DVD connection panic -geez, I'm such a noob. richyrich and Cosmo removed my codec scare; mike acker, bigbenaugust, Pierre, ah, settle the case of LibreOffice and jessie backports an PPAs -I still don't fully understand those.

Mark Phelps, Flemur, cobber, WharfRat, Ark987, kendoori, Summerof69 -when I was living dangerously without backups. Now my files are safe -I hope.

And when killing a command line frightened me almost to death, (see, I love using the command line; makes me feel Minty smart) lifesavers: klrman, Habitual, karlchen, ganamant, NathanRodriquez, Blackveils and WharfRat were there with their wisdom of Minty life. Thank you all.

Hmpf! The music has been going for a while so I'll wrap it up and say, to all who have helped xdicey (that's me!). thanks and to all those who will be helping later or tomorrow on, thanks in advance and please know your help is not taken for granted nor is it taken lightly.

Heck, I just have to give honourable mention to Pjtor for his help here and easylinuxtipsproject -that's a phenomenal fount of information -I copied my first command line from there. And all those who have not been mentioned -rest assured you are all bookmarked.

Heck, I just have to give honourable mention to Pjtor for his help here and easylinuxtipsproject -that's a phenomenal fount of information -I copied my first command line from there. And all those who have not been mentioned -rest assured you are all bookmarked.
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
ksg.bridgeman

A heartfelt thanks to all posters

Post by ksg.bridgeman »

I didn't need to bother anybody to solve my wireless MacBook Pro problem. I simply read prior responses and followed the directions. Thanks to all that spend their valuable time helping others. Happy Holidays. :D
spma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spma »

Ditto the thanks. I love Mint, I have been a Linux user (a couple of flavours) for five years now, ditched Bill's invention soon after, and every time a problem(ette) occurs, I look here; it has invariably happened to someone else, and I haven't had to post, having found the solution on this forum. So my appreciation to all the gurus, nameless though you are in my thanks.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I started as a serious Linux user with Mint 17.3 "Rosa" Cinnamon and this Forum. I tried other forums but the camaraderie here is over the top. Yes the experts here are awesome but I have been getting excellent support from level 3 and 4 users. In just one week I am zingging along quite nicely due to their efforts. I am customized, backed up, firewalled, and absolutely trouble free (for now). I am confident that any problem that arises will dissolve with no stress so I am happy to report that I am in this for the long haul, no need for dual booting or other OS's in reserve. I was actually able to send a Windows 10 disk back to Amazon for a full refund. I even loaded Mint over the Windows 10 OS's on two hard drives. I am committed to this OS and I will be on this Forum until the end of the internet. This is all due to the people of Linux Mint. Thank you.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

I've just logged back in to the forum - and changed my password of course - after reading on the Linux Mint blog and in other forums and online comment about the traumatic story of the hacking (or cracking) attack.

Something like that is everyone's nightmare. I wasn't afflicted by the malicious attack on the ISO download; but as a forum member I might have had some personal details stolen. For Clem and all the team who live, breathe and nurture the Linux Mint distro, it must have been unimaginably stressful. But what impressed me above all was the calm, straightforward, honest, transparent reporting of the problem, the systematic analysis and explanations, and the unfailingly helpful guidance that was delivered by the Mint team.

To do this for several days, when all h*ll must have been breaking loose and there was serious risk of panic, was astonishing and impressive. I am full of admiration for Clem and his colleagues. We the Mint users need to record our appreciation and gratitude and show our solidarity and support, whether by donating, assisting with efforts to improve the Mint OS, or just helping out via the forum. Who was it who said, "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger". Let's hope Mint continues to get stronger and better.

And after all that, one other bouquet to hand out while on the subject of saying thanks for support: a mention for austin.texas whose advice on this forum about multi-booting and messing around with grubs was invaluable to me....
Jesse654

Post by Jesse654 »

Many thanks to whomever helped with getting my forum account back in working order (I can log in again) and to all who are working to resolve the hack into Mint's websites. :)
KaneS

Post by KaneS »

I could not have said it better then "br1anstorm" Thanks to Clem and his team of supporters, developers and anyone else involved with this distro.
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

Greetings!

I would "second" the motion, but it's already been seconded, thirded, four-hundred-and-fourty-fifth'd, etc., so I guess I will just have to get in line behind everyone else. . . . :wink:

There are so very many people I could thank here, (xenopeek, inknife, and the poor sod who's trying to implement snap-to-grid in Cinnamon, come to mind), that were I to thank all of them by name, I would surely be testing the phBB software for buffer-overrun vulnerabilities! So, I guess I will have to thank everyone by group.

If I, in my inadvertent stupidity or thoughtlessness, missed anyone - accept both my heartfelt thanks and my apologies.

First and foremost:
I recognize and acknowledge an everlasting debt to Clem, as well as the entire dev and QA teams that work long hours on the Herculean task of producing, maintaining, and supporting what is, (IMHO), the single best distro out there. From my very limited vantage point, I can understand that creating and maintaining a distro of ANY size is a non-trivial task. Maintaining the likes of Linux Mint requires super-human dedication. Their efforts on my behalf are both humbling and gratefully appreciated.

If you wish, you can read about my initial experience and how thrilled I was with Linux Mint on my blog:
http://www.qatechtips.com/2013/03/all-h ... linux.html

The Mirrors:
We should also recognize, appreciate, and be thankful for the time, effort, and cost that goes into mirroring a distribution of any kind. Especially those mirrors who allow high-speed downloads of the distributions. Time, equipment, and bandwidth are money - and I wish there was a way for us to buy THEM a beer or two.

The Fora:
It is no exaggeration to say that Mint would not be what it is today without these fora.

(a) The various forum maintainers:
I have moderated various fora in the past. I have SYSOP'd several dial-up BBS's prior to the proliferation of the Internet - including one of the very first trans-Atlantic networks, (using an 8-bit Atari!), and I know precisely how much of a balls-up, headache, and Fuster-Cluck maintaining something like this can be. They are patient, kind, responsible, and put up with all of us, more than we can possibly deserve.

Obviously one of two things is true: Either they're trying for sainthood, or they get better drugs than we do! :lol:

(b) Those who participate in these fora:
No forum, no distribution, no effort by anyone involved with this distribution would be worth a damn if it were not for YOU. You who come here and look for help or advice; your own questions have helped me more than you can possibly imagine or I could thank you for. Your answers are a shining beacon that has helped me find my way.

The users of Linux Mint:
No distribution goes anywhere, or does anything, without the dedication and support of its users. It is they who make all the work done worthwhile. It is they who support us when the &^%$#@!!! hits the electric fan, and maintain their trust even when we let them down.

Those who helped make Linux what it is today:
It is impossible to ignore those who went before us, who hacked their way through almost impenetrable jungle, who turned a hostile wilderness and dusty wagon-trails into the 20-lane superhighway we enjoy today. Linus and the Kernel Dev team, The Free Software Foundation, the GNU developers, Apache, and everyone else who contributed to make Linux what it is today deserves our utmost respect and thanks.

For this, and everything else that we enjoy, I am most humbly grateful.

What say ye?

Jim (JR)
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb
Patrick M

Post by Patrick M »

Jim
As you know I have been recommending to other to pick the XFCE version of Mint to substitute for XP
The transition from XP is relative painless, because of the way Mint works.
One user in particular has tripped over many of windows issues, but has been running one Windows based game she would not live without, under wine on her system and is very happy with the overall results

and If I may toot my own horn here....
I also have great appreciation to your Atari European connection, since I was the very first in the world to get it to work on the very same hardware you were later using!
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

I'd like to thank Fred, in his current battle against my ignorance of how Linux works. Despite what it might seem, I *am* trying to learn this stuff! Really! I've actually been going through all my 'junk' computers and installing Linux on them. I know, mostly just Puppy version 4.01 but it's still better than showing their Compaq or Dell logos and stop there in the bootup. Now they're at least doing something! They also give me something to do other than worrying about my main computer's issues. Thank You Fred!!! :D
Last edited by Amii_Leigh on Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

To all who have responded to my early queries as I came back down a v steep learning curve. But in particular to Xenopeek who is awesome with AWK (and grep for that matter).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

AndyMH wrote:But in particular to Xenopeek who is awesome with AWK (and grep for that matter).
Indeed he is!

Also, thanks, Amii!
You're definitely learning and getting better every day! :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
XA Hydra

Post by XA Hydra »

Thanking Fred Barclay himself for directing me to check again for two-finger scrolling in Cinnamon 2.8. Such a little thing makes using a laptop with Mint 10x nicer. I had thought it was only now coming with Cinnamon 3.0! (DERP :P )

So 17.3 fulfills every need of mine for now after all.
Fred66

Post by Fred66 »

Thanks to phd21 for helping me get my laptop and tv talking to each other.

Just a quiet suggestion with a couple of hints and tricks and not only did I solve it, I understood a lot more about the problem and solution.
Aero379

Post by Aero379 »

I'd like to thank Fred Barclay and others who helped me restore my lost panels. I'm a newbie to Linux but have been very pleased with Linux Mint and especially with the help that is available from so many folks. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”