Thank you to those supporting others here!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Thank you to those supporting others here!

Post by Fred Barclay »

I thought it would be neat to start a thread in which you post about people who helped you and thank them. Post as much or as little as you like: if you want to describe in detail what happened, how they helped, etc.; or if you just want to give a name and a thanks, this is the place to do it! :D
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: THANK YOU!

Post by Fred Barclay »

For starters, I thank the Linux Mint team--Clem and all the others. Congrats! You've done a great job!
So many people have helped me, but the following really stand out: Dr. Hu, xenopeek, Buzzsaw, WharfRat, and KarlChen, among others. (sorry to all those I missed--but if you help me later, I'll be sure to post here!)
And, last but certainly not least, Linus Torvald and all the other Linux developers, be they old hands or newbies.
THANK YOU EVERYONE!
Last edited by Fred Barclay on Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
elchucko

Excellent Support!

Post by elchucko »

I had a rather difficult problem with booting LM17. With WarfRat's help my problem is resolved. WarfRat really knows his stuff! Have a problem? If he replies relax, your problem is on its way to resolution! Thanks again WarfRat.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Thank you to those supporting others here!

Post by Fred Barclay »

WharfRat, DrHu, and JeremyB have been very helpful with my confusion about IP addresses.
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

WharfRat helped me install a different desktop to my Mint and warned why it was a bad idea. (Stupid me didn't listen.)
Thanks a lot!
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Buzzsaw helped me hide a LUKS partition. Thanks a lot!
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

jimallyn, nerdtron, Flemur, all41, and oneeyed responded to my question of whether it was necessary to use multiple partitions for Mint. Thanks, guys! :D
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

all41 and nerdtron helped me set my system swappiness. I had tried earlier and with my usual skill ruined something. :wink:
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Nerdtron answered my questions on installing Mint 17 to an Asus P550CA laptop. Thank you! :D
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I'd like to thank Dr. Hu for showing me how to use a laptop as a wifi receiver in a pinch. :wink:
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

py-thon and xenopeek helped me on some confusion about gnome-disk-utility. Thank you!
- Albert Einstein
wywer

Post by wywer »

Dear friends,
I congratulate the OP for starting this thread and i'll tell you why! The developers and contibutors who have selflessly donated quality time and donations deserve a ringing appalause and Linux Mint as it is today (Voted the best Linux Distro'-2014) is because of this helpsite! The Administrators and Moderators job is a thankless one and they have to be "EXTRA-ALERT"than all of us put together! Let each of us personally congratulate every one of them for keeping this site calm and clean! and moreover they are volunteers guiding us, correcting us!They are all well versed and are experienced folks,so,let's respect them too! When they chide us,my experience from 2008-2014 tells me "it's never to be taken personally", as their duty is to keep the site sailing smoothly! I am a bit verbose(that's allowed,you see, even in the "Terminal"),but i CAN harmlessly entertain you! Head over to "open chat" and see my poem praising the OP! Name of the thread : Re: Virus on LM17.1??!! Lessons learnt in a day :D. Peace.
Thank you all,
wywerjet :)
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I received plenty of help here after I switched but I don't remember the names of those who helped me.
The way I try to pay back is to read through the forums looking for questions I can help with. I am not an expert but I am 2 and a half years in to using Mint exclusively so I have learned a thing or two and now I am in a position to help sometimes.
That is really the core of the open source/FOSS/GNU/Linux culture. Everyone reaches down and helps out the guy coming up behind and then he helps the one behind him.
I came here knowing very little, friends here taught me and now I can pass that on. That is what a community is about.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

InkKnife

I'd just like to say that I agree whole heartedly with what you've posted above :D

I've only been a member since April this year, yet I've learned so much from the knowledgeable and generous people here. Due to personal health issues I'm not able to contribute to the project financially, as I'd like to and is deserved by Clem and the team, but, by using the knowledge I've gained, either in these forums or by exploring things inspired by forum content, I can at least donate my time and assist those who I am able to.. while still learning on every visit.

So to everyone who's ever offered me advice, corrected me when I've posted without thinking and posted something I've found/browsed and found useful.. Thank you :D
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Yes, I love the opportunity to give back through the forums. I wouldn't call my contributions "help", as xenopeek generally has to correct me and save my poor victim :wink: , but at least I'm trying!
- Albert Einstein
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Fred Barclay wrote:I wouldn't call my contributions "help", as xenopeek generally has to correct me and save my poor victim :wink: , but at least I'm trying!

Ah yes.. learning when to refrain from posting and instead follow with interest, to see if your thoughts are correct.. something several of us have/are learned/learning the hard way :wink: :lol:
bayou_trombone

Post by bayou_trombone »

I would like to thank Reorx for helping me on two separate threads! Friendly, patient, funny...but most of all, knowledgeable. Thank you, Reorx! Next time you're in the Big Easy, PM me and I'll buy you a dozen raw oysters at the Acme Oyster House!
NChewie

Post by NChewie »

On behalf of the many lurkers, thank you to all the developers and particularly to those who give that extra help in holding hands of users.

I have learned a lot by lurking and replaced a lot of what I once knew... :D
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

I also want to thank everyone. Im new to linux and probably will never get to a higher level. But until now, the most important think Ive learned about linux is that it is a great community of people :)
Thank you developers and everyone in this forum. :)
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I'd like to thank seawolf167 for helping me when my system wouldn't boot from the hard drive.
I'd been trying to solve it myself for 3 days. I posted for help and solved it within 3 hours. :D
Thanks again!
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”