Thank you to those supporting others here!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TooMuchTime

Re: Thank you to those supporting others here!

Post by TooMuchTime »

Though he has never helped me personally, I would like to recognize JeremyB. His networking knowledge and troubleshooting skill are second to none. I read every one of his posts and bookmark most of them because I want to learn. So many of the threads he posts on end with a thank you, a couldn't-have-done-it-without-you, and a [Solved] at the end of the title.

Jeremy, I don't know who you are but I want to be you when I grow up!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

TooMuchTime wrote:Though he has never helped me personally, I would like to recognize JeremyB.
+1 There are certain people that, when I see they have posted in a thread, I always read that thread because I know I'm going to learn something. JeremyB is one of those people.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Lemongrass38

Post by Lemongrass38 »

Thank you xenopeek, phd21, Cosmo., Fred Barclay and everybody else for helping me with all sorts of problems, issues and questions! ;)

The ones I can recall: firejail, encrypted chat, Cinnamon desktop question, but there were surely more. :)
fastdave
Level 3
Level 3

Solved Many thanks on learning curve

Post by fastdave »

Many thanks to all of the helpers on this forum - even the sanctimonious :D - I am now up and running - have a new dual boot ( so I can use and convert old windaes files recovered by my recovery program) computer ( some bargain gaming machine - more than I need - Thank you, Austin, MOEM and Joe, and the Netherlanders (If I've missed anyone, sorry, I'm not on that topic to get everyone's names) - I am sailing - reading as much as I can, delving into code, language and forums - best excitement I've had in computers in years - My Piano and My Gibson have fallen into neglect, and my motorcycles are sitting.
Dave.
Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged topic here
whispers
Level 3
Level 3

WARFRAT AND MATTYBOY

Post by whispers »

Thanks for your help
LM 21.3 Cinnamon - Lenovo ideapad 320-15AST - AMD A6-9220 RADEON R4 DUAL CORE - STONEY RADEON GRAPHICS - KERNEL 6.5.0-14-generic - MEM 16GB .
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Many thanks to greerd and roblm for helping me sort out my newly installed Nvidia graphics card before I threw in the towel, thank you very much, greatly appreciated guys!!
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
Rosko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rosko »

I would like to thank Pjotr for creating and maintaining this Linux help site: Easy Linux Tips
It got me rolling when I first started using Mint over a year ago and most recently I was able to get my Brother Printer working by using the installation guide provided on his site.

Thank you Pjotr. :D
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

Greetings again, Earthlings!

I realize that I already wrote a book about this in a previous posting to this topic and all of it is still 100,000% true.

However, after reading a number of other replies I wanted to step-up yet again and thank both the maintainers and the various forum contributors.

As I have written before, both here and on my own blog; Clem et. al. do a wonderful job of both creating and maintaining a distribution that "just works" (snarky Apple comment).

The fact that it works at all is amazing.

The fact that it works as well as it does is outstanding.

The fact that it TRULY "just works" is jaw-dropping.

==============================

Turn the way-back machine to about ten years ago, when I first discovered Ubuntu, the "first" distribution that "just works" without having to climb tall mountains, chant Hindu mantras, burn brown rice and small rodents, or other oblations to the computer gods. Other distro's - Fedora among them - were getting really "religious" about what I could, and could not, put on my system. If it wasn't lilly-white pure FOSS, they got snotty.

At first, Ubuntu was like a breath of fresh air. The software was kind and gentle, the various fora were helpful and all was well in the world.

Then, something happened. I don't know what, but something happened. Ubuntu stopped listening to it's user base. There was a lot of griping on the Ubuntu fora about "not wanting to dumb-down Ubuntu". They eliminated choices about boot-loaders. They decided that you REALLY WANTED their bizarro new desktop, even if you didn't. They started putting hard-coded advert's into their Server editions, (which set off a fury that had to be seen to be believed!), etc. etc. etc.

I got so disgusted with where Ubuntu, (and it seemed, all of Linux), was going so I pitched it and went back to Windows.

Then. . . . .

I read a copy of Linux Format that talked all about Mint being a "Hot Smokin' Weapon!" My interest piqued, I tried it. WOW! It was something like "and where have you been all my life?!" Mint helped re-establish my faith in Linux.

============================

One thing that seems to be (almost) universally true about any Open Source project and it's various fora, is the snotty attitude that the senior members maintain. I've bailed on any number of Linux fora and the associated distro's, for just that reason. They are gods; and we mere mortals should be humbly thankful for the scraps of wisdom they decide to occasionally throw our way.

So far, the Mint fora have made a lie to this. Everyone here - and I do mean EVERYONE, has been as kind as a gentle rain. I actually ENJOY coming to these fora and reading. Not reading anything in particular, just reading. It's interesting! It's fun! My wife thinks I am absolutely out of my mind! (so what else is new?)

I do not want to belittle the distribution maintainers in any way, shape or form, and I wish I could send them a check with LOTS of zeros between the numbers and the decimal-point. (The comma for all you European folks) They truly deserve it.

However, no distribution, no maintainer effort, nothing means a thing without the patient guidance of everyone here. These fora are one of the main reasons I adopted Mint, and they are one of the reasons I stay with it - despite the occasional bump.

To everyone here on these fora, a hearty THANK YOU!

Jim "JR"

p.s. It is my earnest and humble prayer that this distribution and its fora remain this way.
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Fred Barclay wrote:I thought it would be neat to start a thread in which you post about people who helped you and thank them. Post as much or as little as you like: if you want to describe in detail what happened, how they helped, etc.; or if you just want to give a name and a thanks, this is the place to do it! :D
This is such a great thread. I honestly think this forum is really wonderful for those of us starting out and even those who've been using Mint for a while. People really seem to want to help and not make points. It is the second place I turn to if I can not see an answer on https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home which I know is by Pjor who is a member here. I really hope that it is kept as friendly as it is now. Oh and yes thank you to all who've helped this senior blunder his way forward so far :) Kev
NChewie

Post by NChewie »

Due to the quality content, I keep lurking and learning :D

Thank you again to all the patient gurus.
briandh25

Post by briandh25 »

Hi everyone. I wanted also to express my gratitud towards the community and to point out the quality of the forum. Not only the people, but how the whole forum is laid out is amazing. How it is all divided in all the different sections and everything, I like it much better than pretty much all the other Linux forums out there. To me it's the easiest to get around with, simple yet effective.
AndaMan

Post by AndaMan »

Just in addition to all the people offering support I want to say thanks to everyone who contributes to the Linux project, be it developers or anything else. I switched from the dirty world of Windows earlier this year and just get happier with Linux all the time. And its free!! Which is phenomenal really. I don't have the technical know-how to support Linux as a developer so just wanted to say thanks to everyone who does, it really is appreciated! :D
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

AndaMan wrote: I don't have the technical know-how to support Linux as a developer so just wanted to say thanks to everyone who does, it really is appreciated! :D
@Everyone:

I do have some technical know-how - and I know just enough about coding to get in serious trouble. :shock: :roll: (emoji of computer with mushroom cloud over it)

Though this thread - may it stay unlocked forever! - is a great way to show your appreciation, there are others as well:

Participation:
Even if you can't code your way out of a wet paper sack, (and no, we're not all Linux Kernel Gurus), participating in fora like these is one of the best things you can do. Even if it's to post a note on something you did that was abysmally stupid and how you got out of it. Or maybe sharing something really interesting you read about Linux way over there and posting a link to help people find it here.

Put Your Money where Your Mouth Is:
One of the things I appreciate about Mint is that they make it available and easy to contribute, without being all in your face about it. And I like that. I like being able to - as finances permit - being able to pop over to my PayPal account and send them a couple of beers or maybe a pizza or two. OK, my beers or pizzas won't pay their internet bill, but it's at least something. And I feel a lot better about sending the Mint team money than the forced extortion that others call "donations". My goal in this regard is to "graduate" from the periodic beer-and-pizza to a scheduled monthly stipend, however small it may be.

Spread the Word:
Don't be afraid to tell people about Mint. If you have a blog, write about it. If you have a circle of friends that use computers, brag about it. If you have some old, crufty, unused systems around, load up Mint on them and donate them to your local church, charity, or someone who needs a system.

What say ye?
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb
Black Swordsman

Post by Black Swordsman »

I would like to thank the many people that have helped me when I have asked simple questions that I probably could have figured out if I had just paid attention to what I was looking at but managed to overlook them

I would like to thank catweazel for his help in-(Burning ISO's to USB)viewtopic.php?f=47&t=264560 and
(Python 3.6.4)viewtopic.php?f=47&t=264624

I would like to thank Pjotr for his help in-(What is WINE)viewtopic.php?f=47&t=264591 and https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first

and I would also like to thank Jimallyn for his help in-(Remote access with Android)viewtopic.php?f=47&t=264531
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Black Swordsman wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:10 am and I would also like to thank Jimallyn for his help
You are quite welcome. The support is one of the many things I like about Linux and Open Source software. Linux has been very good to me, so I am always happy to help others. This just feels to me like the way software should be done.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

I'd like to thank two people whose recent helping hints in the Networking forum to another user (see this thread) just resolved a similar and very pesky situation for me. This morning, suddenly none of my Linux clients at home could connect to my network router, even though they worked fine yesterday.

First, JeremyB for that cool wireless diagnostic script in his sig-- that's a level of detail that inxi -Fxz only begins to touch.
Second, Marziano for the hint to reconfigure the router to use a different, less crowded channel.

All is well here, thanks to these two. Take a bow!
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
bethm

Thank you for those who helped me in the forum

Post by bethm »

Hello all I just wanted to say thank you for everyone who helped me, such as all41 who made a suggestion about which version would be good for me, as well as to Jerry and slipstick, who helped me in verifying the shasum256, all of you guys are the best, and deserve a medal for your patience.

I have now upgraded to a new version of mint, by erasing everything and it seems to be working quite well, without you all on here I would have not been able to do half of what I did.
:D
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

I am really glad that I "discovered" LinuxMInt one year ago and I am really thankful for all those friendly people on this forum who take time to help eachother. I am proud to be a small part of this big LinuxMInt community.

I want to especially thank all those forummembers who wanna explain step by step solutions to my problems, which must have been asked a hundred times before. Reall really appreciated.

Thanks to this forum I feel convinced enough to recommend LinuxMint to my inexperienced family and friends, because I know that this forum is always a trusted place to call for help if someone of my friends or family gets into trouble with their new steps into the world of LinuxMint.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

It is truly amazing what a few individuals have accomplished especially when multi billion dollar corporations efforts have produced barely adequate operating systems.

Thanks to the entire Mint team . Here they are:
Last edited by Ozo on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Plus these!

Thank you all!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”