Mint Presentation

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Tithis
Level 1
Level 1

Mint Presentation

Post by Tithis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:24 am

For a class I'm taking in college me and my partner have to create a presentation about something computer related that interests us. We're both Linux users so naturally we picked Linux as our project. Our plan is to give a presentation about the history of Linux and other information. We want to finish the presentation with me hooking my laptop up to the projector and showing them the Linux Mint desktop, explaining some stuff and answering any questions.

Is there anything you guys feel I should be sure to mention during the presentation?

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint Presentation

Post by FedoraRefugee » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:40 am

I do not know about time allotments or what the basic message you are trying to get across, but one of the biggest complaints I always here is how hard it is to partition, install, and set up Linux. Depending on your hardware maybe a demonstration of how easy the Mint install is and how you dont even need to open a terminal. Show off how everything is automatic.

I have found through clients that Compiz-Fusion has the best "wow" factor for those who have never really seen Linux. Especially when they watch me "work" as I use the different switchers to access the different documents I have open. It never fails to start a conversation and I move from there to the "toys" such as cube, atlantis2, 3D models, firewriting...Of course this takes time to set up and tweak.

Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint Presentation

Post by Katzedecimal » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:38 am

Compiz wow-factor is definitely fun. Set up transluscent windows (trail focus) and flip switcher, then change it to cover switcher or ring switcher - show that anything Vista can do, Compiz can do and more.

Eye-candy is fun but what the user wants to see is interoperability. Put some M$Office files (.doc and .docx, .xms, etc. ) on a USB stick (show two birds with one demo :mrgreen: ) and demonstrate OpenOffice's capabilities. Take some .mp3s, some .avis and a commercial DVD; show how they work. Maybe set up a popular game or two in Wine. Set these up on different cube faces and switch between them, so you can show the Compiz effects at the same time.

I agree with Fedorarefugee, installation is a major issue to the newbie (it certainly was for me... :wink: ) If time and resources permit, the ideal would be to demonstrate the ease of installation. If resources permit, install on one machine and have another pre-installed and ready to demonstrate while the other one does its installation thing. Alas, such dreams :lol: In lieu of that, have a pre-installed machine and use the liveCD to demonstrate the installer, since you can cancel out at just about any time up until the actual installation. Show the basic steps (including the all-important, all-intimidating partitioners, and be certain to point out the Guided - Resize slider option, much less intimidating to a n00b), then cancel out, remove the liveCD, boot into the installed Mint and proceed with the rest of the demo.

As well, a printed copy of the Mint user guide may be an idea to consider, since it's so well written with the n00b in mind. Pointing out the compatibility with Ubuntu is also an idea; since the two distros are similar, many Ubuntu books can be studied to use with Mint.

Just some thoughts :mrgreen:
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”