Linux Mint is the right choice for experienced users?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:04 pm

My example. Previously, I have used Debian initially with console and later X server. I have learned to use the Unix commands. I am interested a question. What encourages advanced users to switch from using of a heavyweight distribution to Linux Mint?

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux Mint is the right choice for experienced users?

Post by tdockery97 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:52 pm

In my opinion #1 reason is the community, and #2 is that the development team strives to give us the best possible operating system without getting involved in the politics you will find in some of the other distros. Also when using Mint you can't help but notice the great care that is taken in putting the whole thing together.
Peppermint OS 9

skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by skywolfblue » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:50 pm

zoli62 wrote:My example. Previously, I have used Debian initially with console and later X server. I have learned to use the Unix commands. I am interested a question. What encourages advanced users to switch from using of a heavyweight distribution to Linux Mint?
"It Just Works" is nice to have, even for advanced users. Mint does this extremely well, making the various bits cooperate without you having to fuss or do extra work.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:53 pm

It's nice to have something easy that's complete out of the box. Saves a lot of time. After all, time is the most precious commodity of all.... :mrgreen:

And when you feel like tweaking and tinkering in Mint, then that's what you can do as well. But you don't have to if you don't want to. Which is very nice in my book.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

BlackVeils
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BlackVeils » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:36 pm

beware though, Mint might make you lazy!

mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:27 pm

BlackVeils wrote:beware though, Mint might make you lazy!
Too late, It already has. :)
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

shengchieh
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shengchieh » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:43 pm

I noticed some people have two systems (dual-boot or two computers): one user-friendly and one geeky. In other words, one to get work done and everything just work AND one where you can relly get under the hood and do
geeky stuffs. LM would be the machine that everything works. Arch/Gentoo would be at the other end.

Sheng-Chieh

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:38 am

zoli62 wrote:My example. Previously, I have used Debian initially with console and later X server. I have learned to use the Unix commands. I am interested a question. What encourages advanced users to switch from using of a heavyweight distribution to Linux Mint?
To produce result of work.
Fun from process of configuring system (when nothing to do at weekend) any can get with dual-booting Slackware, or something else.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:33 am

shengchieh wrote:I noticed some people have two systems (dual-boot or two computers): one user-friendly and one geeky. In other words, one to get work done and everything just work AND one where you can relly get under the hood and do
geeky stuffs. LM would be the machine that everything works. Arch/Gentoo would be at the other end.

Sheng-Chieh
I totally agree with this. Previously, i have used two parallel systems: Windows XP Pro and Debian. The first was for everyday use, while the second was good to learn and experiment. By now i became convenient and therefore switched from Debian to Linux Mint.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:01 pm

shengchieh wrote:I noticed some people have two systems (dual-boot or two computers): one user-friendly and one geeky. In other words, one to get work done and everything just work AND one where you can relly get under the hood and do

Sheng-Chieh
LMDE as my easy OS and Arch as my geeky OS. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Nili
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nili » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:52 am

I don't think so, Linux Mint is the host home for all those who have come from Window$ or Buntu, atleast it has happened to me.
IMO, Gentoo is for experienced users.
- A violet in the youth of primy nature forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting. The perfume and suppliance of a minute, No more... - Audiophile [24bit/96kHz], FLAC, DeaDBeeF. - Herbstluftwm Fist! - Root heritage #!

zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:05 pm

Nili wrote:I don't think so, Linux Mint is the host home for all those who have come from Window$ or Buntu, atleast it has happened to me.
Then in your opinion what is the best distro for those who want to change from Windows or Ubuntu?

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:31 am

zoli62 wrote:
Nili wrote:I don't think so, Linux Mint is the host home for all those who have come from Window$ or Buntu, atleast it has happened to me.
Then in your opinion what is the best distro for those who want to change from Windows or Ubuntu?
Fedora, CentOS.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:06 am

I have been using Linux since 2002, so I suppose I could be called an experienced user. For most of that time, I ran Xandros, and everything just worked. And that's the way I like things. So, for this experienced user, Mint is the right choice.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Nili
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nili » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:02 am

zoli62 wrote:
Nili wrote:Then in your opinion what is the best distro for those who want to change from Windows or Ubuntu?
Best distro? in my opinion there is no Best distro, what is good for me is not for you and vice versa. We choose what suits best for us.

Linux Mint is the right host for users that migrated from Windows, i too passed from XPSP3 to Ubuntu then Mint 4 years ago...
Later made other choices. Within the Linux world there is full of alternatives. If you're looking to try something else, or distro-hop distrowatch is a good place to start. I prefer KISS Principle for my system or applications.
- A violet in the youth of primy nature forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting. The perfume and suppliance of a minute, No more... - Audiophile [24bit/96kHz], FLAC, DeaDBeeF. - Herbstluftwm Fist! - Root heritage #!

jtarin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jtarin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:38 am

Pjotr wrote:It's nice to have something easy that's complete out of the box. Saves a lot of time. After all, time is the most precious commodity of all.... :mrgreen:

And when you feel like tweaking and tinkering in Mint, then that's what you can do as well. But you don't have to if you don't want to. Which is very nice in my book.
Amen brother!! :D
Former Slackware user breaking bad.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:43 am

Hello, zoil62.

The answer to your question as you phrased it in your thread title,
from my perspective is: Yes, it is, in particular if you want to use it for your daily work and need to get your job done. :)

Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.2 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fraxinus_63 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:51 am

What @karlchen said - I am an experienced user and I have long stuck with Mint LTS editions because they need virtually no maintenance and because I have access to everything in the vast Ubuntu repositories and libraries of PPAs. In other words, I can just get on with my work.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:59 pm

fraxinus_63 wrote:What @karlchen said - I am an experienced user and I have long stuck with Mint LTS editions because they need virtually no maintenance and because I have access to everything in the vast Ubuntu repositories and libraries of PPAs. In other words, I can just get on with my work.
I agree with this.
I have been using Mint for 3 years now and I love that Mint is a mature desktop OS that I can use without any fuss or fiddling. I am long past the time when I want an OS to tinker with, now I want one that "just works".
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:41 pm

I am not sure what a heavyweight distribution might; possibly something like Suse or Opensuse or RedHat or Fedora or Gentoo

I like Mint because it seems to be managed well, and of course being popular it gets attention from developers
--in the same way that Linux OS gets more attention than *Bsd OS systems
  • It's basically where the action is
    --and Ubuntu is pushing ahead on various fronts, whether it is smart cell phones or otherwise: that helps with Mint; although they have gone their own way in a few instances..
And because I like lighter weight desktops, I use XFCE : I also liked LXDE
--even as I might find some full-desktop features missing (as in GUI apps)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”