Mint: Great Distro - Awful Name and Logo

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
mark_reiker
Level 1
Level 1

Mint: Great Distro - Awful Name and Logo

Post by mark_reiker » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:28 pm

It may have been discussed here before, but since its in my face each day on my computer, I can't help but vent. Why such a great distro that Linux Mint is, is cursed with such a low profile, undeserved in terms of coolness, uninspired and irrelevant sounding, name? And to second this, the lack of a cool logo as well is a total let down. Why on earth this distro is called Mint anyway? Mint as in Fresh? Fresh what? In the era of powerplay names, this poor selection on the name Mint is stuck with the best all around distro like a curse. Anyway I slice it, it is like a stone stuck in my throat.

I love this distro, the GUI is awesome, fast and packed for everyday use and a total hook for Windows outcasts that seek something equaly easy to use. But this name and logo.. I don;t know, I am out of words guys... disgusted to say at least.

The greenish theme is ok, even though it resembles to openSUSE, but take for example the coolness of other distros and their emblems.. Arch (The A graphic is just awesome) , Ubuntu (the landmark circle has become familiar even in Windows circles), Kali (the dragon is just kickass), heck even Zentyal is cool as a name and as a resemblance to the Ubuntu circle. But Mint? I am ashamed to even spell it when I am asked on what OS is on my system.

Would it be so hard to find a cool name that would make a nice impression and a catchy logo?

Share your thoughts cause I can't accept I am the only one with this "distro name issue"! :)

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mint: Great Distro - Awful Name and Logo

Post by xenopeek » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:06 am

With the tone you chose for your post, get your asbestos suit ready. Or, you know, edit it to tone it down a bit.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:46 am

Doesn't matter much to me what they call it, or what the logo looks like. It just works, and that's what's important to me.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

mark_reiker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mark_reiker » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:55 am

xenopeek wrote: With the tone you chose for your post, get your asbestos suit ready. Or, you know, edit it to tone it down a bit.
Its free speech man. Embrace it or pass. If this 'tone' you mention is too offensive to your eyes, there is nothing I can do about it. I want to see a cool name and a cool logo in this great distro, what is so hard for you to understand? I suggest you make a survey, questioning about a potential change of name and logo and I am sure you will be surprised by the result.

By no means I am disrespecting the Linux Mint team that put this marvel together. It is just the opposite, I love this distro and I believe it has different marketing potential with a different name and logo. You have a bad boy there, give it something badass to go with it. Mediocrity never took charge in history. Thats my point.

jimallyn wrote:Doesn't matter much to me what they call it, or what the logo looks like. It just works, and that's what's important to me.
You have a point there, but it is a big letdown seeing a great distro able to grab a big chunk of everyday users that only know the Windows side of things, only because of a poor name choice and lack of marketing. I would love to see something change on this with an even more aggresive marketing strategy in the lines of Ubuntu. For me it goes a step forward being neat and clean and not too much loaded with eyecandy, and too much people is already scared seeing tiles in their Windows desktops (users used to XP/7 OS form). As it is Mint right now is HOT, it is just missing this big bang thing to take it to the next logical step.

I posted on the thread of what made you choose Linux Mint, and my key point was that friends and colleagues urged me to suggest them a Linux distro that resembled their Windows experience. And it is funny because I had to search right after being using Ubuntu for two years, for a distro that featured exactly that. No wonder why I hadn't tried Mint before, because I didn't liked the name and I never gave it a go. Look at me now, three laptops running Mint and a desktop dualbooted on Mint/Ubuntu. I can't be the only one having willingly choose not to try this distro in the past ,because the name and logo were not appealing at all.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:40 am

I like the current name; I like the current logo.

Venting is just useless noise. You don't like them, so create stuff that you like better and propose it to the developers. Who knows, they might want to adopt it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:46 am

You are totally free to change the desktop background and colour schemes, The only time i see a mint logo is whilst booting but then i don't mind the logo because it's the logo of an OS that is f****ng awesome, works well, is sharp, efficient and does what it's meant to do with hardly any hassle for the end use. You're also free to design your own nix O/S and put it out for all to use if a logo bothers you that much :-)

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:47 am

Clem, the project leader, discusses how the name Mint came about (among other things) in this article from 2013 http://www.networkworld.com/article/217 ... -mint.html if you are interested.

Regards
WT
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:11 am

Since I find the default desktop Mint wallpaper a little too bland for my tastes, I always replace it with a nice custom wallpaper and I get all of my desktop wallpaper from the Desktop Nexus site. The only time I see the gray colored Mint default desktop wallpaper (with the Mint name and version number) is when I first install Mint on my hard drives.

When booting, I never see the Mint logo because for some reason, the Plymouth splash screen, which I think displays the Mint logo, doesn't display it on my two desktop tower computers. I just get the Mint name with some dots under the Mint name on a background of solid black color.
Mint 19.2 (Tina) Xfce 64 Bit

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:06 am

Night Wing wrote:Since I find the default desktop Mint wallpaper a little too bland for my tastes
There are over 100 high quality wallpapers included with Linux Mint 17.1 from multiple photographers and artists. From cityscapes, landscapes, close up shots, to art creations. The default wallpaper is changed to your fancy a few clicks. The default wallpaper does however make each fresh installation and live sessions recognizable immediately. There is something to say for that (along with the 100+ wallpapers to easily go to something else :wink:).

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:04 am

Maybe someone can design a custom logo for you.
Possibly a skateboarder soaring through a flaming hoop, suspended over a tank of piranhas, while crunching a pinch-harmonic on a Gibson SG...

:roll:

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:32 pm

I suspect the OP was bored and needed something to Rant about. It did get a little attention.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:09 pm

I like the pinch harmonic on a Gibson SG!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:54 pm

I do agree that the name and logo are silly but so is every other Linux distro. Manjaro? PuppyLinux?
Who comes up with these names? Very amateurish.
To me it doesn't matter because I always value function over form, but for others who never heard of Linux and you tell them to try Mint or any of the other silly named distros, they will look at you like you are joking. :lol:

mark_reiker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mark_reiker » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:03 pm

The OP was not bored at all. As a matter in fact I expected at least a discussion regarding the weak name of this extremely nice packed distro. It is like having created a great all around car, even of greater quality of a Toyota Camry, and choose to name it Proctor. From the answers I got, noone really cares if they drive a car named Proctor, or they care if it will become a dominant best selling car. Which is sad to say at least and shows that the supporting fanbase is really not so fanatic about it. On the other end, the Ubuntu guys seem to have this passion, always creating a constant buzz around the name Ubuntu, both by marketing (remember the great advertise of Ship-it?) but also in the individual naming of each LTS - nonLTS release. Let that alone, not only name but a gizmo mascot to accompany it. And it works, even though as a distro is a bit more disoriented from the clean lean and effective desktop experience of Mint.

The big letdown on the replies was the misinterpretation of my original thinking in my post, which to some eyes it just translated as "I am bored of my desktop, what should I do about it?". It was the word "vent" that troubled you so much? If that's all you guys get, then what can I say..

And if I ever try to pinch a harmonic tune to a Gibson SG, then the squealing will be on my fingers end.. good example of another poor named product (The Gibson SG). Compare that name to the Ibanez Destroyer. See my point?

Verdict.. nobody really wants to drive a car named Proctor. That is pharisaism in its worst form.

z31fanatic wrote:I do agree that the name and logo are silly but so is every other Linux distro. Manjaro? PuppyLinux?
Who comes up with these names? Very amateurish.
To me it doesn't matter because I always value function over form, but for others who never heard of Linux and you tell them to try Mint or any of the other silly named distros, they will look at you like you are joking. :lol:
Exactly that! Those other distros are ok to be named whatever, as it is the tradition of any John-Linux or Mark_Linux.. those who care will care. But when you have THE killer distro, one that can be established to shipping computers with the proper marketing and advertise, one that surpases Ubuntu in friendliness and is XP/7 alike so that Windows people will not have a problem using straight up.. and this distro you kill it with a weak name to start with.. why do that? Kudos for your last sentence that says it all.

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:41 pm

De gustibus... but for me, the name, the logo and the greenish colors of LM are very good and pleasant. Is true that some distros have weird/strange names, as Ubuntu (ubu... what?!), or Puppy (so childish, moreover, I don't like dogs). Manjaro is also exotic but so evocative of Tanzania... Anyway, I agree that finding a good/interesting/intriguing name, and beautiful logos, can increase (or decrease) the fashion of a distro.
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:09 pm

Linux Axis-Of-Awesome Skullslayer OminLord 64bit.

Slap that in a box festooned with seizure-inducing LED strobes...and we're good.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:10 pm

But what the hell do I know? I'm not 17.

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:24 pm

My personal opinion is that 'products' can fall in to one of two camps.. 'Status symbol' and 'Means to an end'. Some truly great products become status symbols due to excellence of design, some become status symbols due to excellence of marketing.. either way, the 'name' of the status symbol product becomes 'the' selling point for many consumers (we all know someone with an i-phone that doesn't know how to use most of it's features). Next we have products that are a 'means to an end', where the important factor for most is what can be achieved with it, rather than the product itself.

I see my choice of OS as a means to an end, in just the same way as my choice of timber fixings for construction projects.. I'd love for you to be impressed with the finished project and ask how it was achieved, but if the first reaction to a finished project is to be concerned with the tools used then I know the finished project is lacking in some respect.

Do I care if my hammer has a killer name..No, and I feel the same about my OS.

After all that has been said, I personally like the name Mint.. it's short, easy to spell and in many parts of the world links directly to a familiar image in the users mind making it easy to remember. 'Cool' has never bothered me though, so I don't expect universal agreement with my opinions.

Regards
WT
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

delboy58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by delboy58 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:45 pm

Where i come from "mint" means its really good, or the best of something.So i think the name sums it up really well.

They dont just stick a DE over ubuntu.They cherrypick what goes in and remove a lot of bloatware.

The idea that someone wouldnt try or install a good distro because of its name,logo or default wallpaper is laughable.
Distros become popular because word gets around,news travels fast on the world wide web.

If some distro was released that was so much better than anything else.Even if they called it "Linux Horse Manure" with a pile of horse manure as a logo and the default wallpaper is a picture of a horse going to the toilet, i would still be first in the queue to try it out.

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:09 am

The 'SG' in Gibson SG stands for 'Solid Guitar' because thats what it is. Ibanez destroyer sounds like something from a BAD b movie, and at the end of the day, if you can't play guitar then you're not going to destroy anything no matter what you call your axe, but it's personal preference, you can't keep all the people happy all of the time and there will always be those who think and see things differently to the majority.

Perhaps if the OP put forward some suggestions then the discussion could be steered in a way he desires, it seems the majority of the Mint Userbase are happy with name, and as has been pointed out it can also be a slang term for something being good, or also fresh and crisp. And with regards to ubuntu and their catchy names with logos for each distro, if that's what appeals to you then go use ubuntu, this is Mint, Mint is not ubuntu.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”