Mint: Great Distro - Awful Name and Logo

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mint: Great Distro - Awful Name and Logo

Post by killer de bug » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:02 pm

mark_reiker wrote: I actually get offended by people that don't read my words and just post something along the lines dictated by the administrator that replied first.
I'm getting offended that every times someone has a different opinion than you, you attack him and consider him as an idiot.
I think, none of us asked your opinion on the name of the distro, right? Despite this, you were able to post it and none of us told you that you are an idiot. So why don't you start respecting people here?

Additionally to this, please note, that you have less than 10 posts here and it's not like if you were a strong member of this community with years of presence...
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

mark_reiker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mark_reiker » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:30 pm

killer de bug wrote:
mark_reiker wrote: I actually get offended by people that don't read my words and just post something along the lines dictated by the administrator that replied first.
I'm getting offended that every times someone has a different opinion than you, you attack him and consider him as an idiot.
I think, none of us asked your opinion on the name of the distro, right? Despite this, you were able to post it and none of us told you that you are an idiot. So why don't you start respecting people here?

Additionally to this, please note, that you have less than 10 posts here and it's not like if you were a strong member of this community with years of presence...
If those years of presence as you say is the feedback is supposed to give a person more credibility, then what I received by xenopeek was really a joke. Treat new users as flame baiters and torch them seems to be his approach.

I would accept your words about disrespecting, but there is one small objection.. I never attacked anyone that had a different opinion. But when they treat me like an idiot, then yes, they will get the equal elaborated feedback from me. Look at the posts of martymint, lexon, habitual and so, apparently answering me with their full blown use of vocabulary and literature expansion of "It's just you".. "Go Back to Windows".. and so, and see who is offending who.. they expressed a different opinion? When? I attacked them? All they did was their short sentences urging me to get the hell out of the forum.. I got numerous posts about how I should change my wallpaper and colors modes, to change distro, and those people treat me as an idiot? Should I respect their opinion while its totally off from my post and mindlines? And once again, this whole mess was xenopeeks initial approach. Having an administrator to start this in the way he did, all I got was standing on the other side right from the start in a sense of me vs the linux mint community.

Respect is not something given is earned.. and I totally gave my respect where I earned it. People did read my post and did discussed their thoughts. For them I am thankful as I can be. For the rest, keep on having your own way of things and treat different thinkers as outcasts and ban them.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:39 pm

mark_reiker wrote: If those years of presence as you say is the feedback is supposed to give a person more credibility, then what I received by xenopeek was really a joke. Treat new users as flame baiters and torch them seems to be his approach.
It was meant to say something obvious but obviously not for you.
Respect people full of knowledge and dedicated to help others here since years. They have build the community and the reputation of Linux Mint.
I did not see your contribution here until now.
mark_reiker wrote: I never attacked anyone that had a different opinion. [...] and I totally gave my respect where I earned it.
:roll: Sure, here is the proof:
mark_reiker wrote: You just had to f-uc-ki-ng say something, didn't you? You would just explode if you were not able to share with us your ultimate conclusion. It was urging you to just contribute to this thread no matter what and didn't know how to float your mindless way of thinking, so you packed your shallow intellectual background to that sentence which seemed streetsmart enough to you. Way to go, you just raised your status to a respectful level. Good way to display the mental level of some people on this forum.
Anyway I'm done here. Answering your posts is giving you too much credit and you don't deserve it.
One more foe...
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

mark_reiker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mark_reiker » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:48 pm

Here is the proof? Really? Single line sentence contained in three words (four actually) that actually give me the stupids guide of saying "Look I have something smart to say that will shut you up so I will reject all of your post and give a stupid answer to your one liner among those, here it goes..". If you will ever get an answer like the one in your example, then come along and let me know how you would behave and how you would accept this "answer".

It was easy for you to point the finger for my "attack". You masterfully evaded my comment about xenopeeks behaviour. Understandable though.
Last edited by mark_reiker on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:53 pm

I think the problem might be that some die hard windows users and developers come over to linux forums and start creating mischief, insulting the work the developers put into creating free and open source software, seriously , microsoft is all about the money and the malware and linux is a huge threat to that, so naturally M$ don't like the thought of people getting to control everything their pc does for free... so when someone new turns up and starts posting that the name and log are 'awful' then they are naturally veiwed with suspicion as possible trolls and troublemakers.

You could have chosen a better title for the thread, blatantly calling things awful isn't really the best way to go about things. you have to remember linux folk work for free in their own time and have no obligation to support anyone, so when folk come along saying things are awful it's understandable that they get a bit annoyed and defensive, I'm sorry your linux experience started badly but the Mint community are great folk really, you just have to approach them with a bit more tact :-)

mark_reiker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mark_reiker » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:01 pm

@ 1.618

This should actually become a stickie. Perfect thinking man, honestly. We could had actually turn friends if all this warfare had never took place.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:25 pm

You're blaming most of the nastiness in this thread on xenopeeks first reaction, whereas actually that was just a humoristic attempt to *prevent* the inevitable flames from scorching you too much. xenopeek was protecting you a bit, not putting you down. :shock:

You've set the tone yourself, in your first message in this thread. Some people answered you back in that very same tone. You don't like that. Well, some of us don't like the tone of your first message. Nor of many of your replies, either.

Your idea won't carry the day, because many think it sucks. Big time. Bad idea. Garbage. Live with it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:16 pm

mark_reiker wrote:Here is the proof? Really? Single line sentence contained in three words (four actually) that actually give me the stupids guide of saying "Look I have something smart to say that will shut you up so I will reject all of your post and give a stupid answer to your one liner among those, here it goes..". If you will ever get an answer like the one in your example, then come along and let me know how you would behave and how you would accept this "answer".

It was easy for you to point the finger for my "attack". You masterfully evaded my comment about xenopeeks behaviour. Understandable though.
@mark_reiker, you seem like a bright fellow as your posts are coherent, if a bit lacking in tact. Mint has been around since 2006 with its first release, likely in development for a lengthy time before that. We're talking a history of roughly ten years. I don't know how old you are, and for all I or anyone else knows, you may be a bright coder or whatever; but when you charge into a forum within a week of when you first joined complaining of how awful this or that is cosmetically, you will not be given much in the way of respect. I've only been on this forum for a few months myself, but I'm an old codger and try to test the waters in gaining/trading information - both politically and technically. If you have positive things to contribute, please do so. Realistically, I'd be really surprised if you could fork your own distro (and if so, more power to you!), but perhaps you have enough technical saavy to contribute to graphical presentation, etc. If so, go for it, and thereby "earn" a hearing at the table. Cheerio, and dowse the fires with constructive contributions.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:35 pm

lmintnewb2 wrote:Clem is Irish
He is French :wink:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/art ... t_lefebvre
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Linux Mint "Poochie Edition"

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:07 pm

@mark_reiker,

The admin on the site was just trying to warn you that the way you worded some things was likely to set some people off and we'd end up in the situation we have now on this thread.
xenopeek wrote:With the tone you chose for your post, get your asbestos suit ready.
"Get your asbestos suit ready" was his way of saying, "watch out -- some people are going to think you're attacking Mint."

After I read your first post, I could tell that you were excited about Mint but for some reason just hated the name, logo and general appearance of it. My first thoughts were: "okay, I'm glad you like it, but I don't get your obsession with it's 'coolness' factor and I don't agree with your assessment of it's appearance". (Not sure many people really care about the "cool" factor. They're more concerned about whether it works or not.)

I didn't think you meant to offend or attack anyone, but I could see why xenopeek tried to warn you that things might get out of control. No, you didn't mean for the post to come across as you hating the distro, but your first sentence tells us your about to "vent". That automatically sets a mood that some of us have seen before and is associated with people who've done nothing but complain -- usually about problems that are easily solved, but they never asked for help on. You didn't mean to set that tone, but that's what runs through our minds first when we see that someone is "venting". If, after that, someone decides to just give your post a quick skim (rather than full read) and they see things like it's "cursed", "uninspired", "irrelevant", "a total let down", you're "ashamed to even spell it", etc. -- well ... that can provoke some people. That's not what you wanted, but it could happen. That's all xenopeek was trying to warn you about.

Unfortunately, you didn't realize that's what he was doing and you went off on him with your very next post. Once you did that, it set off a chain reaction and those that suspected you were just a complainer/troll became convinced you were and all hell broke loose. Once the back and forth starts it's almost impossible to stop.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:48 pm

CLEM'S FRENCH !?!?!?!

Ok ... whatshizface is right ... Mint suks ! :P Just in case, am joking. Put the torches away ! Mint rocks, mint rocks !
Self edit for a few shots taken @ OP, ya know what they say, if you can't say something nice ....... There's probably a lot of good reasons for it. Ok shutting it, be nice etc etc. :lol:

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:45 pm

mark_reiker wrote: If one can't see the big picture, the potential and the power of advertising....
I have no inside information, however I've never seen anything to suggest that Clem has any desire to see Mint as a world conquering OS or that he is interested in an advertising budget.

To quote Clem, in the article I linked to above, from Oct 21, 2013
Linux Mint started as a hobby, as something I was doing on my spare time. It grew and it's now something I do full time, every day and with no spare time left for anything else.

I get a lot of help from many people and from the community and I also have two other people working full time with me. I'm not interested in making Linux Mint grow fast though. Seeking investments, funds, renting an office, giving myself a job title and going to work every day as the boss of 20 newly hired engineers isn't what I have in mind. I love what I do, I work with passion, from home, with no commercial ties to anyone, and now and then I get in a position where I can secure yet another salary and make someone else join the adventure.
If Clem isn't interested in "the potential and the power of advertising" and " in making Linux Mint grow fast" (which I infer from the above quote) then we, as users (not customers), should probably respect that and not try to push the project in a direction that it's most important member has no desire to go.

Personally I like the name Mint and it has the kind of reputation that changing it now could easily be an own goal. When it comes to graphical style though, the latest blog post (http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2790) actually asks for people who may be interested in updating the look of Mint to get in touch.. so it seems Clem may be interested in any constructive ideas at least.

At the end of the day the majority of people who have responded to this thread have great respect for Clem and a great appreciation for the Mint project, so just like telling us our favourite aunt has a stupid name, we may feel slightly put out when someone tells us that , despite our opinions, Mint is an awful name.

Here ends my attempt at a reasoned response :mrgreen:
WT
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Distro-Don » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:57 pm

WT, You make MUCH more sense than the OP.

r00t
Level 3
Level 3

Post by r00t » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:12 pm

I'm going to lock this thread now. In my personal opinion, it's a wonder how it got this far without already being locked.

I would remind everyone of an xkcd post regarding free speech, but since it has swears in it (certainly not family-friendly like this forum should be *cough cough*), that will be all the reminding I'll do.
Please add [SOLVED] to the beginning of your topic header if your question has been solved. This helps those who have a similar problem look for a solution.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”